Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this coming Tuesday I’ll be taken my van for it’s first service it’s been one year since I took delivery the van has 6790 miles on it. I have a few things for them to look into steering wheel noise, gas smell,prematurely tire ware. I hope they can give me some answers. Is there anything else that I should mention to them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ask for the service advisor who has the most experience with vans. Talk to him about the van, ask questions. It helps if you have some knowledge about the vehicle, and some idea of what is possibly happening. My experience is that too many service advisors are really just going through the motions. They're basically salespersons now at some dealerships, under pressure to sell services and products. Actually look at what he writes for the technician if possible. Sometimes what you tell the service advisor isn't quite the same as what he tells the technician. So far I've been dealing with just one person with the Metris. He seems knowledgeable, pleasant to deal with and he's been willing to listen to my concerns and discuss things I've read about here on the forum. That's what got me my free driver's side mirror and a free alignment. Thanks to RobbMeeX for the information he provided.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask for the service advisor who has the most experience with vans. Talk to him about the van, ask questions. It helps if you have some knowledge about the vehicle, and some idea of what is possibly happening. My experience is that too many service advisors are really just going through the motions. They're basically salespersons now at some dealerships, under pressure to sell services and products. Actually look at what he writes for the technician if possible. Sometimes what you tell the service advisor isn't quite the same as what he tells the technician. So far I've been dealing with just one person with the Metris. He seems knowledgeable, pleasant to deal with and he's been willing to listen to my concerns and discuss things I've read about here on the forum. That's what got me my free driver's side mirror and a free alignment. Thanks to RobbMeeX for the information he provided.
I spoke to a metris service advisor last week and gave him a heads up of what I was experience one thing he knew about that was losing coolant he said he will do research on the gas smell but who knows.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drop off the van this morning the advisor told me he knows of a problem with the steering wheel noise he knows of the problem with coolant leaking they will do a wheel alignment he got look into the gas smell as I’m the first to report this problem to him. Hopefully i won’t be with out the van for too long. He did mention it would be a couple of days.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You might mention previous knowledge of the smell on vans and other M274 equipped vehicles. Suggest nicely that they look and the rubber hose connected to the high pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I drop off the van this morning the advisor told me he knows of a problem with the steering wheel noise he knows of the problem with coolant leaking they will do a wheel alignment he got look into the gas smell as I’m the first to report this problem to him. Hopefully i won’t be with out the van for too long. He did mention it would be a couple of days.
Where was coolant leaking? After topping mine off a few months ago. It's now a little low and I can smell coolant sometimes when I get out the van. But, that's all on the back burner now as last week my wife got into a accident and my metris suffered some considerable front end damage and I believe they are replacing the intercooler, condenser, headlight, cores support and some other stuff. Don't remember them saying anything about the radiator though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might mention previous knowledge of the smell on vans and other M274 equipped vehicles. Suggest nicely that they look and the rubber hose connected to the high pressure fuel pump.
Where was coolant leaking? After topping mine off a few months ago. It's now a little low and I can smell coolant sometimes when I get out the van. But, that's all on the back burner now as last week my wife got into a accident and my metris suffered some considerable front end damage and I believe they are replacing the intercooler, condenser, headlight, cores support and some other stuff. Don't remember them saying anything about the radiator though.
Rob i bring up the M274 recall green told me about he wrote it down in the nots.

KB I don’t see any leak in my driveway but my coolant always need to be add every couple weeks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rob i bring up the M274 recall green told me about he wrote it down in the nots.

KB I don’t see any leak in my driveway but my coolant always need to be add every couple weeks.
Yeah, I couldn't see any either. But, I can smell it. Maybe a tiny pin hole in the radiator. IDK. RobbMeeX do you know where they are finding coolant leaks?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It probably isn’t a “leak”. I have had many German autos that occasionally had that smell with no ill results, or faults. It is normal to have to top up coolant. It does evaporate even in a “closed” system. Now if there is a puddle, then that is another problem. Hope that helps! The more concerning issue is the gasoline smell :/

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It probably isn’t a “leak”. I have had many German autos that occasionally had that smell with no ill results, or faults. It is normal to have to top up coolant. It does evaporate even in a “closed” system. Now if there is a puddle, then that is another problem. Hope that helps! The more concerning issue is the gasoline smell :/

I had many cars all makes and models and never had to add coolant until now or never had a the coolant light come up to check level. I hope it’s nothing big i hope your right it just evaporate

·
Registered
83 Posts
German cars are way more precise....... meaning if it drops a millimeter then the light goes on. It doesn’t mean that there is a problem. :)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
American (and Japanese) cars are designed for owner abuse in the form of considering electrical tape a form of warning light repair, considering service intervals a vague suggestions, running for much of its life with nothing but sporadic oil changes, and so on.

They are also designed with low level indicators that have a built in “ignore time” in their design- the low coolant or low oil light comes on long before there is an actual problem on the assumption the problem will be addressed at leisure.

I’m a German car, low level lights come on when the level is low in case the owner forgot to perform the manual checks they are supposed to two or three times a week. If the light comes on, you should top up the relevant fluid immediately, you don’t at your peril.

It also should prompt a trip to the dealer soonish and immediately if it happens again, because generally low fluids is a symptom of another problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts