Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

First real problem @ 79k miles

10K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  kbcool 
#1 ·
Van lost power on freeway and threw a turbo underboost P0299 code. I believe it went into limp mode at that time. Anyways i ended up pulling the charge air hoses off the intercooler and throttle body to inspect for cracks. They all look good to me and the rubber o-rings still intact. At that time i noticed MAF sensor was filthy so i cleaned that and cleared the code and went for a 4 mile drive and then another. So far So good. But...............anyways, anybody else have any turbo issues besides me?

#5 ·
I would normally say check the MAP sensor and it’s wiring, except the van likely wouldn’t run without that working well.
Otherwise it may have been an early warning of a turbo going out if this was underboost during a throttle transient (acceleration). If the turbo is lagging that is an early indication of it going out, though normally a fairly small sign. I’m not sure how sensitive these engine are.

#6 ·
After another P0299 code thrown. I decided to do some troubleshooting. Turned out to be the vacuum actuator leaking by and never fully seating the waste-gate. A quick pull with a mighty vac handheld vacuum pump identified the problem. Of course Mercedes doesn't sell the actuator separately AFAIK. But, i was able to obtain one from China off ebay after a long wait. (first shipment lost). Anyways, If it doesn't hold up i'll get one from Mamba.

Attachments

#14 ·
The actuators held on by 2 nuts. I used a small gear wrench for removal. I first removed the air cleaner assembly then the heat shield covering the turbo. You may also have to remove the engine sound cover to access the torx bolts holding the heat shield on. I did not as mine was already removed when i did the spark plugs and i never bothered to put it back on. But, other than that it's pretty easy. If you could slip the c-clip off the waste gate from underneath the vehicle safely and squeeze a gear wrench on the 2 nuts. You may not have to remove anything other than the bad part. Let us know how it goes.

#22 ·
Brief update: the dealer and I talked a few days ago to schedule this coming Tuesday to do it; they are providing me with a loaner. They want to charge me for a diagnostic session, which I agree with because doing this blindly is stupid and I could be wrong about which part failed, but they told me that they can probably change the part without removing the turbo (my SA wasn’t sure and wanted to make sure I was ok with the most expensive he thought the repair could be before he talked to his foreman who ideally was out sick Monday but anyway).

I’ve been driving Rudolf, my 1995 E300D, which is less then ideal (no HVAC whatsoever and I am absolutely sure that at least the front ball joints and suspension mounts, and suspect the rear bushings and all flex discs, are perished). Long discussion with my wife, and then another long session with a salesman at my dealer. Unless this repair ends up being something like a turbo replacement, I’m ordering a 2024 Sprinter 2500 144” high roof as soon as I get the car back.

I have been nauseous thinking about that, I worked out all the numbers and I can afford it with a monthly payment as I had planned to do in 18 months or so… partly because the Metris is worth $7500 which is crazy. But by the time I pay everything (van, personal up fits, tax, tags, loan interest) I am going to be so close to six figured it’s terrifying. Then again I’ll have the perfect mobile office which should my my writing career more productive. Anyway. Rambling.

#26 ·
I drove a heck of a lot the first few years I had it; my wife wasn’t working much and my game is as a writer so we drove all over the place researching for a book I was writing on mall retail. Past couple of years I’ve been concentrating on fiction (there are better streams to monetize that) and I’ve been averaging 18k a year or so, mostly for my wife’s job (she cleans houses) and I can do my work from the back of the van as easily as anywhere.

Might seem like I don’t like it but I really do. I bought it after my retail business burned to the ground with the thought it would be a flexible platform for whatever we ended up doing (I suspected retail which is why mine doesn’t have the passenger comfort suspension- I thought it might end up being a goods hauler which barring a few trips it hasn’t) while providing the feelings of safety and competence I was used to from Mercedes non-commercial products.

It does that; it excels as a mobile office, while carrying the tools of my wife’s trade, driving like a big Mercedes, getting excellent economy, and being comfortable for the hours we spend in it. It’s not as well built as the 114, 123, and 124s that made me fall in love with Mercedes, but… it’s still everything else I expect of one, and honestly better built than most stuff.

i haven’t really even given the Ford or Ram a full look, which probably says it all. The best or nothing 😂

#27 ·
Another update, given that I’m nervous but can afford even replacing the turbo, it is probably the worst news I could have gotten as far as my nerves go. They tested the current actuator using Star Diagnostics and it activated and held pressure on the actuator without problem. This rules out several things: the actuator, and the hose connected to it. However, they do not know what it is and had to hold on to it another day for continued diagnostics. So I still don’t know what it is. If I did know what it is, at least I wouldn’t be left wondering.

I trust that these things are completely true for two reasons: 1) my history with this particular dealer places me in the odd position of trusting them almost implicitly, and 2) The dealer and service advisor were aware that if this could be pulled off for just the labor of replacing the actuator with my provided aftermarket part and associated diagnostics, I was planning on calling their sales rep and putting down a deposit on a $65k Sprinter order immediately, guaranteeing them a sale and my service business for years to come, continuing a 22 year history.

I mean, in truth, even if I do have to replace the whole turbo, that is what’s going to happen; may delay it a few months, but yeah.

If anyone wants to speculate on what it might be given that it isn’t the actuator or a hose, and that my fingers are crossed that I am not shelling out for an entire turbo assembly, I would love some false hope right now. 😂

#28 ·
Well that’s over. It’s the turbo. It is some kind of internal fault preventing it from making boost, so I guess they aren’t so sturdy after all. They got me what seems a reasonable price to do it: $3875+tax.

Long discussion with wife. She wants to get out before more goes wrong- given we are planning to replace the van in short order anyway, so I also emailed the sales department with a go-ahead. I think I feel better now that I’ve made all my decisions.

#32 ·
Dealer delivered the car back Friday. It works fine; they also found and delivered the Craftsman ratchet and 10mm socket I lost in the engine bay. They got me a few hundred in discounts and coupons, so that even though they broke five exhaust manifold studs it ended up coming in at $4084 with tax, with loaner for close to two weeks. They also took this opportunity to replace the camera under recall.

i don’t particularly like the more rear, less downward facing camera angle, and it has the odd behavior of also activating when I shift into drive for a brief period. Anyway I feel my trust in my dealers interest in maintaining a long term profitable relationship over a short term large bill is still justified.

#33 ·
I love hearing your stories again, BB...

I find the short delay on the camera is one of the best 'detail' features of the van. I'm surprised how often I flip the shift to reverse before pulling away just to see what's happening back there. I notice it most when I drive my wife's Highlander and don't have the ability to see if I've left something sitting on the ground that I should have loaded.

#34 ·
That’s not what I mean; that is a useful feature. Actually i‘m not complaining about it; i miss having the feature on my friends ‘14 Sprinter where you could press one of the buttons and activate the camera at will. It’s just odd that the camera turns on (and on a tailgate van this means the servo opens and closes the camera flap) and then off again after a few seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.