Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So the root cause is more than one faulty low pressure fuel pump? It's happened to you more than once?
Certainly the low pressure fuel pump was the cause of the engine dying initially. The tech found the pump was coming apart and replaced it.

But when the engine dying behavior returned the fuel system control module was replaced, a loose connection was found and fixed, then a software update from M-B was applied. While some of these helped none proved to be a permanent fix.

The last time the engine died in such a way I suspected a hardware problem -- it "felt" like a bad fuel pump -- and this proved to be the case. The replacement pump installed back in late April of this year upon inspection was also coming apart and the tech replaced it.

It has been around 7 days and so far the van is behaving. 'course, at least two times before I drove the van for 5K miles -- and I don't recall how many days but not lots because most of those miles were racked up in a week long road trip -- and another time I don't recall the miles but I recall it was 12 days with no issues only for engine to resume dying upon hot restart.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
Gotcha. So the same pump failed twice plus a control module was replaced. I'm guessing we don't know if the control module was bad or if a good module was replaced for a good module. Then we have the software update.

BTW: I posted in another thread, but there is a recall for the pump control unit firmware that's not public yet. I'm scheduled to get it applied in 3 weeks. I don't know what it changes and I don't think the tech will know either. Maybe it will prevent pumps from self destructing. Who knows...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Gotcha. So the same pump failed twice plus a control module was replaced. I'm guessing we don't know if the control module was bad or if a good module was replaced for a good module. Then we have the software update.

BTW: I posted in another thread, but there is a recall for the pump control unit firmware that's not public yet. I'm scheduled to get it applied in 3 weeks. I don't know what it changes and I don't think the tech will know either. Maybe it will prevent pumps from self destructing. Who knows...
Just a WAG on my part but that pump control unit firmware update was probably what was applied to my van. The time before the last time I had the van in I was told M-B was working on new software and it would be available maybe by end of October. As it turned out it was available a week or two sooner and was applied.

The symptom went away for awhile but it returned. But when it returned -- as I mentioned in another post -- the problem proved to be just the replacement low pressure fuel pump had failed.

At any rate have been using the van just like I have always used it and so far (knock on wood!) the van has behaved. Zero issues.

'course, can't help but recall the last time I was ready to brag about the van and it turned around and manifested the engine dying after a hot start.

·
Registered
995 Posts

I posted in another thread

101 - 106 of 106 Posts