Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Great news for you and hopefully those other vans that were in the shop.
This was some few months ago but the vans in for the "same" thing were awaiting replacement fuel pumps. This was the first thing that was done to my van and I guess I had it in for this in the nick of time to get one of the last fuel pumps.

Of course in the case of my van the new (low pressure in tank) fuel pump while it was needed -- upon dropping the fuel tank and examining the fuel pump the tech found the original fuel pump was coming apart -- didn't cure the engine dying after a hot start.

Neither did a new fuel system controller flashed with the (then) latest software, nor a loose connection tightened up.

It was either new software from the factory or I would need to look into a van exorcism...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Can anyone recommend a van exorcist? Upon starting the up to temperature van engine today while the engine didn't die the CEL came on.

Van has been perfect ever since I got it back a few days ago. Been using it as I used it before and not one sign of any issue.

Well, it may be my imagination but it does seem like the engine needs just a skosk more crank time before it fires. With other vehicles when the crank time got extended a bit it turned out to be battery related.

Van is a 2020 and the battery while original is not that old. 'course, I've had a new battery fail after just 7 months so a battery can fail at any time.

But the good times didn't last.

CEL came on at gas station just a block or two from M-B dealer. I drove van right over to the dealer and dropped it off. SA says the tech will probably be able to look at the van tomorrow morning.

I didn't bother to read the error code associated with the CEL. The SA points out -- and it is a good point -- the CEL can be on for some reason other than from any fuel system problem.

Have to admit I feel for the SA and tech as much as I do for myself. They have both been superb not once trying to BS me or put me off or anything other than just owning -- so to speak -- the fact van has a problem and getting the van in and pursuing a diagnosis and a solution.

In the meantime I'm looking for an old mechanic and a young mechanic...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd like to start a poll. How many want @Rockster to get a new van with the Lemon Law? Chime in.
I admire Rockster's patience. I couldn't afford that much downtime.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Not ready to toss in the towel with this van yet. I really like the van and would hard pressed to come up with a suitable replacement. While there are other vans they are either smaller/FWD or larger/more $$$$.

'course if the van doesn't get sorted out soon I may have to look into getting something else.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
626 Posts
My 0.02:
MB should swap out your van for a brand new one.

You have been extremely patient. As patient as I can be, knowing some things take time, the only way I could perhaps tolerate it to this point, is if the dealership came with a tow truck or a staff member to drop of other wheels and pick up my van at my house, every time this happened and continues ... because I am not losing half a day every time it acts up ... emptying my van, driving an hour and half each way and then not have a van for 1d, 5d, 14d. I doubt they have enough loaner cars as it is. And I specifically bought a brand new van of this size to have the functionality of a cargo vehicle that size van and no headaches for 10 years, so I can use my van how I need it, when I need it, any given hour or day of the week. Now imagine being a commercial user with a custom van setup, all your tools and supplies carefully loaded in; repeatedly unable to work / generate income ... That will float like a lead balloon, and would put MB at risk of a ton of negative word of mouth, bad publicity online, and losing more than a customer for life in the form of many lost potential sales of all kinds.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
361 Posts
It seems in Canada MB is a one stop shop, cars, vans, smart. I've had a couple of time consuming issues (obscure wiring failure, waiting for parts) but they've always had a virtually new Metris loaner waiting for me. 5 stars to MB London.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I definitely vote for a new van. Because who knows how many additional problems were caused by the techs chasing this gremlin.
The dealer SA and tech have been superb. I have no reason to believe there has or will be any "collateral" damage arising from any work performed to address this issue.

Would be really hard to get rid of the van cause I'd have to select another car/vehicle. I had planned on getting another Mercedes but if the van has to go back then no not likely.

My other car is a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack. I could buy I guess a Jeep. For a change of pace. I owned a Dodge pickup years ago. Do not want a Dodge van. Too big.

The Jeep would not quite be the replacement for the van but it would be a reasonable (?) vehicle to use as my "daily". I have no interest in any serious (or even semi serious) off roading the thing so there's that. But winter weather here can get sloppy. The van worked ok but a Jeep would be a new experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Ok. Another update. SA contacted me today. Van has been gone through top and bottom -- I saw some evidence of this a week or so ago when I stopped at the dealer during off hours and used my 2nd key to get some things from the van: the cargo area had the driver side floor covering folded in it, a wiring harness tossed on top of the floor covering and the driver seat was unbolted and loose to allow access to I guess at least one battery box.

SA said the only thing the tech found wrong was the low pressure fuel pump "had separated" which is very much how the original one was described which justified its replacement.

So it would appear the replacement low pressure fuel pump failed the same way as the original fuel pump. It just didn't take from August 2020 to April 2021 and around 10K miles. Just from April 2021 to a couple of weeks ago and 3K miles.

Should have the van back today. Not sure if it can be dropped off or I have to go pick up the van.

Of course once I get the van back I'll treat it to a good road test -- well, just resume using it like I used it before -- and keep my fingers crossed it stays problem free.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks for your update Rock -- wish you great luck. Tomorrow is the first dealer Service A I'm paying for after freebie A/B -- plus warranty work on my pass rear barn door washer. I'm guessing part acquisition will take the proverbial month of Sundays. I hope they are righteous about honoring the 3/36 warranty . . .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Thanks for your update Rock -- wish you great luck. Tomorrow is the first dealer Service A I'm paying for after freebie A/B -- plus warranty work on my pass rear barn door washer. I'm guessing part acquisition will take the proverbial month of Sundays. I hope they are righteous about honoring the 3/36 warranty . . .
You're welcome.

So far the van has been issue free. Yeah, just a handful of engine starts but at least the engine has not died after any start or manifested any other signs of any issues. So nice to be back in the van again. Really missed it.

3/36 warranty? IIRC my 2020 Metris came with a 4 year, 50K mile warranty.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You're welcome.

So far the van has been issue free. Yeah, just a handful of engine starts but at least the engine has not died after any start or manifested any other signs of any issues. So nice to be back in the van again. Really missed it.

3/36 warranty? IIRC my 2020 Metris came with a 4 year, 50K mile warranty.
Yes, the warranties have varied, as have the ELW's. I bought a 7/120 ELW, list $3,600, paid about $3,000. Now MB offers a 5/100, 6/120, and 7/140. The 6/120 is $1,100 cheaper than list on the $3,600 list 7/120. The 7/140 is about $500 more.

All things considered, I'd rather have your 4/50 bumper to bumper, but I preordered and got 11% below sticker on van and ELW, plus free Service A/B, so the pricing was really great. And my base Navy Blue 610 paint is now a $995 upgrade. Based on the MB configurator, replacing my van with a '21 would cost more than 20% above than I paid. But, of course, I'd have a brand new van with 0 miles! Bottom line -- Metris remains a value proposition AFAIAC. I'd buy another one in a minute.

Reactions: river

·
Registered
982 Posts
All 2020 Metris have a 5 year 75K mile warranty if it was purchased in the 2020 calendar year -

That's nice incentive! Comparable in value to the free Service A/B incentive they gave me in 2018.

Reactions: RocketVan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
All 2020 Metris have a 5 year 75K mile warranty if it was purchased in the 2020 calendar year -

Don't recall ever coming across any 5 year/75K mile warranty. But I bought my 2020 van in Nov. 2020.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts