Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2020 Metris 126" cargo van has been a great vehicle. Around 5700 miles on it.

Took it to the dealer to get the oil/filter service done. Not due yet, at least by M-B schedule (15K miles?) but getting ready to hit the highway for a long road trip and wanted fresh oil in the engine.

SA took the key and went to the van. I went to the waiting room.

After just a few minutes the SA came up to me to ask me if I knew the CEL was on? I said no.

Anyhow, van went to the service bay. Tech pulled the code. I don't have the code but it is related to the low pressure fuel pump and too low a fuel pressure.

Tech has to drop the fuel tank to get at/inspect the low pressure fuel pump. And with an error code probably replace it.

So I got a shuttle ride home in some new hot rod 300 M-B. Had red seat belts for crying loud.

While waiting for the diagnosis walked around and spotted a 2020 SLC on the lot. Interesting but salesman told me it had 4K miles. $79K list but was told the qualifies for all new car incentives. But 4K miles? Nope. No. Nada.

I just want my van back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Went to the M-B dealer and picked up trip/data logger I had plugged into the van's OBD2 port.

Just downloaded the trip/data log.

Two errors were recorded:

P0087 - Fuel Rail / System Pressure Too Low

P0627 - Fuel Pump A Control Circuit Open

Will have to wait until Monday to learn what is going to be done. I suspect the low pressure fuel pump will be replaced.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your mechanical trouble.

I am approaching the same mileage in my 2020, probably next week during a long trip - fingers crossed - but I am genuinely curious what the dealer would say as to how and why this is occurring, on an essentially brand new vehicle.

Which brand & model data logger do you have? Any subscription fees?

And, I always chuckle when the dealer drones just oh-so casually think that anybody walking through the dealership building or parking lot, would just at the drop of a hat sign off on purchasing a 75k 100k 125k 150k vehicle. Let me check the seat cushions again for that winning lottery ticket.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts

I am approaching the same mileage in my 2020, probably next week during a long trip - fingers crossed - but I am genuinely curious what the dealer would say as to how and why this is occurring, on an essentially brand new vehicle.

And, I always chuckle when the dealer drones just oh-so casually think that anybody walking through the dealership building or parking lot, would just at the drop of a hat sign off on purchasing a 75k 100k 125k 150k vehicle. Let me check the seat cushions again for that winning lottery ticket.
‘Ever been to a dealership selling diesel Fords, Chevys, GMCs, or Rams? And those things are just featuredup work trucks; luxury Mercedes actually have sophisticated chassis and exotic materials. The kind of people who Buy a $150k car, $150k is less for them then $40k is for you or me.

Granted, I wouldn’t spend that much on a new car (or any new car, new car depreciation was a lesson I only need to learn once, thanks) especially since AMO-ZIL went out of business and took the 40141 with them to the grave. That I might have ordered new for $100k+. By the way, wikipedia lies- production ended in 2010 but the order books were open through 2012. I was somewhat interested if I ever made the dough.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Aren't warranties awesome?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wonder if the van did the infamous start and die on the guy who pulled it into the service bay and that's why you now have the cel light on that'll go away on it's own. :D
Alot of us have that issue in hot weather. Usually right after a short stop. Someone said they think it's the fuel vaporizing in the rail.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have an update. SA called me Monday kind of late in the day to let me know the van was repaired. Shuttle driver gone for the day so I arranged to pick up the van Tuesday.

Some notes from the repair invoice:

Customer states CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is on.

My WAG is it looks like the fuel delivery module (447-470-65-00) along with the o-ring (025-997-18-45) was replaced.

More from the invoice: Performed connect and disconnect of SDS. Performed connect and disconnect of battery charger [sic]. Found DTC P008700 and P062700. Performed guided test. Referred to LI47.00-P-069277 to perform FSCU software update. Also used PTSS CASE#000159899 for reference. Checked socket tension and crimping at FSCU connectors and if any signs of damage or contamination on PIN/SOCKETS. Lowered fuel tank and checked connections at fuel pump for proper engagement and any loose pins. Then gently lifted on fuel pump lid and noticed separation at the splash bowl. So replaced fuel pump and seal. Installed in reverse order. Performed road test. OK.

Asked SA if he had any word of any problems from the replacement low pressure fuel pump and he said he didn't. The replacement pump seems to be ok.

CEL and errors might have been logged as I was driving the van to the dealer. If so I just didn't see the CEL warning light on.

Oh, and the primary reason I was at the dealer: oil/filter service; the oil/filter service -- using "approved" Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil (5w-40 (bulk), filter element, seal ring, and gasket came to $167.30 not including tax.

The trip/data logger I use is CarChip from Davis Instruments. This device however is no longer supported IIRC. There is no subscription fee the device is unplugged from the vehicle's OBD2 port and connected to a PC with a USB cable and the CarChip software application is used to download the data. The data can be viewed in graph format or table format.

Only drove van 5 miles from dealer to home the other afternoon. The engine ran ok. Was nice to have the van back. Sure missed the van.

Will drive it more today. Will run some errands with it. Want to give it some use before I head out on my road trip.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

In my update I posted I use the Davis Instruments CarChip but this device/product line has been ended.

As for the SLC, I was actually considering a SLK or a SLC. Kind of glad the SLC had some miles -- 6158 if the web info is correct -- because with the miles I'm definitely not interested.

My research is the SLC appears to have a pretty severe depreciation curve. The car is a 2020 -- one year old -- and with those miles should have experienced considerable depreciation. I doubt the dealer would be willing to discount the car as much as I would expect it to be be discounted even if I could get beyond the 6K miles already on the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drove the van some more yesterday. I believe the van is running better. The engine feels like it has a bit more pep. I have to wonder if that low pressure fuel pump might have been sub par for a while before it finally got bad enough to trigger a CEL?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back -- well I got back this Sunday late after having driven from Albuquerque to Benton County AR in one long day -- after a week on the road and with over 3600 miles on the van. Van ran like a fine Swiss watch.

Lots of wind and if it wasn't a cross wind it was a head wind. Gas mileage kind of sucked but with a tail wind (last two days) gas mileage improved. Managed 28mpg one stretch between fill ups.

Very pleased with the van.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that didn't last long...

Got in van today. Drove it a few miles. Came home parked it for 15 minutes. Got back in and started engine and did the usual and pulled out of the parking space. Engine died. First time that ever happened.

Started right back up again and felt/sounded fine. Revved the engine up a bit and no hesitation or stumble. Then took off and in just a hundred feet or so the check engine light came on.

Long story short there's at least a P0627 error code logged.

P0627 - Fuel Pump A Control Circuit Open

Might be a P0087 logged too but my OBD2 code reader is very basic and I'm not sure if it can read/report more than one code. I had a data logger in the van but I can't find the **** USB cable to connect to it and download the data which would include any error codes, freeze frame data, etc.

Going to get in touch with the dealer and arrange to bring the car back in for this.

A rough estimate is I have driven the van around 7K miles since I had the van in for this previously. And 4K was in one week when I drove to CA and back.

More when I know more.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm sure the code (cel) will be gone shortly. Anyways, mines been doing that Chit once or twice a year in Hot weather since it was new. I got it in early 2017. Maybe they'll replace the ECU next.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure the code (cel) will be gone shortly. Anyways, mines been doing that Chit once or twice a year in Hot weather since it was new. I got it in early 2017. Maybe they'll replace the ECU next.
Didn't bother to drive the van any more than the 4+ miles to the dealer to drop it off to have this looked into. I didn't clear the code either. It is important to leave the code active and all the info associated with the code intact for the tech to use to help diagnose the problem.

Last time I have the van in for this the tech dropped the gas tank and checked the low pressure fuel pump and found the pump had come apart in some way which warranted replacing the pump.

Just have to wait and see what the solution is this time. Don't expect the van to be fixed until next Monday at the earliest.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Drove it a few miles. Came home parked it for 15 minutes. Got back in and started engine and did the usual and pulled out of the parking space. Engine died. First time that ever happened.

Started right back up again and felt/sounded fine. Revved the engine up a bit and no hesitation or stumble. Then took off and in just a hundred feet or so the check engine light came on.
very common problem if it‘s hot out, the van gets parked for 5-10 minutes, and then restarted. I’ve had mine in five times for that. They guessed at fixes replacing fuel pump twice, fuel computer, gas tank float sensor, PCV valve, and finally the engine computer. I haven’t had it return. If I see it again, I’ll ignore it And just remember to idle for a minute after restarting a hot engine that’s been sitting in the heat for 5-10 minutes.

The check engine light will go out after 24 hours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very common problem if it‘s hot out, the van gets parked for 5-10 minutes, and then restarted. I’ve had mine in five times for that. They guessed at fixes replacing fuel pump twice, fuel computer, gas tank float sensor, PCV valve, and finally the engine computer. I haven’t had it return. If I see it again, I’ll ignore it And just remember to idle for a minute after restarting a hot engine that’s been sitting in the heat for 5-10 minutes.

The check engine light will go out after 24 hours.

SA called me a few minutes ago. Tech believes the fuel pump control module needs to be replaced. A new module is on order. Expected to be here Tuesday. SA not sure tech can get it installed and the van ready to pick up before close of business Tuesday, so I'm not really expecting the van to be ready until Wednesday.

Dealer did not have a loaner available but I have a 2nd vehicle, a car, which I'm using now to get around. Had toyed with the idea that being used car values were so high that I might sell this car -- 2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack with just 4K miles on it -- and make do with just the van. But now... Think I better hold on to the Dodge for back up for the van.

Pretty good about letting engine idle a bit before shutting it off. The factory advised doing this for my Porsche 996 Turbo to give the turbos a change to shed some heat before turning off the engine. The turbos are just oil (and air) cooled and if shut off hot can "cook" the oil in the turbo bearings. I also did this -- though it wasn't suggested by the owners manual -- for my MINI JCW and its turbocharged engine. So with the Metris I just kind of do this automatically.

When I get in the van after the up to temperature engine has been off just a few minutes I'll wait a bit and let the engine idle before I drive off.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
Thanks for keeping us posted.

On hot days, I try to let any vehicle idle a bit before shut down, if possible and try to park in the shade, if there is any to be found. Giving vehicles some cool down time is probably a good thing to make a habit of.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. Started out good but went downhill....

Before noon happened to be passing by the M-B dealer. Stopped to ask if part had come in. Informed it came in yesterday (Monday) and tech got it installed and the van checked out and finished but very late -- right up at closing time -- Monday.

So, the work order says the fuel pump was checked and had not come apart (like before). Replaced FSCU and performed programming. Tech took van out and drove it 9 miles and the engine did not die nor did the check engine light come on.

Ok, I drive van home -- approx. 5 miles -- with shuttle driver following me. Park van. Shuttle driver takes me back to dealer and I pick up my car and head home.

After oh maybe 2 hours decide to run to the store. Get in van and start engine. Within moments the engine died. No drama just stopped running. Like before. Turned key off then started engine again. This time it started and continued to run. Check engine light was on. I didn't have my code reader handy but I suspect it is the same code as before.

Drove van about 10 miles and the engine felt good and strong.

Oh, before I pulled out of the parking space I texted the service advisor what happened.

At the store got a call from the SA. Said a case will have to be opened with the factory to know how to proceed. The SA said the tech has done what the factory called for and before he can proceed he needs to know how the factory wants him to proceed. The implication is I guess the factory figured the FSCU replacement was the final solution.

Arrangements were made with the SA to have the van picked up tomorrow at 11am at my residence.

So rats. Had hoped this was behind me. Van only has barely 12250 miles on it. I really like the van. Want it fixed.

More when I know more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, it's something to consider. A few van owners have had incidents where rodents have chewed the electrical causing issues that ended up taking a long time to identify.
The van was bought new. Was fine for 5K miles and from August 2020 to April 2021. No issues.

Since buying it the van has been parked in a carport outside of my apartment. No signs of any rodents around, No signs of any rodent presence in the van. The van gets used almost every day.

(My Scat Pack is parked in a garage and doesn't get used every day. I have 4 mouse traps set out along where the floor and walls meet.)

Rodent damage can be a problem, but not in this case based on the tech not spotting any rodent damage nor me seeing any signs of rodent presence. The behavior appears to be a if not common problem one that has appeared before in other similar vans.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Service advisor as he said arranged to have some one pick up/drive the van back to the dealer. In fact it was the SA that showed up at the appointed time. He got a ride from a shuttle driver to my house.

Handed over the key. SA reminded me this could take some time to repair and get back to me as a "case" will have to be opened with Mercedes with it is expected Mercedes providing what to do next. The dealer service department has exhausted the currently documented things to do to deal with this stalling behavior/error code. SA said I had company. Seems a fair number of vans like mine are in for the same thing. He mentioned 3 from USPS.

Fortunately I can wait. I have a 2nd car. I just want the van fixed once and for all and this issue to become an ever more distant memory.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts