Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone found that it is a pain in back to put fuel in the metris? I was filling up the other and the pump was moving slow and took me about 10 to 15 minutes to fill up. I'm 6'1 I though I was going to get stuck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I feel for you. I haven't got your height, but if I have to stand bent over like you did, I too have a bit of a struggle standing up straight again. I've run across gas pumps that just would not run at proper speed. When that occurs, I move to a different pump as soon as I realize there's a problem. If the second pump does the same I leave and find a different station.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As anyone found that it is a pain in back to put fuel in the metris? I was filling up the other and the pump was moving slow and took me about 10 to 15 minutes to fill up. I'm 6'1 I though I was going to get stuck.
I feel for you. I haven't got your height, but if I have to stand bent over like you did, I too have a bit of a struggle standing up straight again. I've run across gas pumps that just would not run at proper speed. When that occurs, I move to a different pump as soon as I realize there's a problem. If the second pump does the same I leave and find a different station.
I don't get it. There are a few posts like this thread.

How many seconds do we need to open the gas cap to put the nozzle in to squeeze the lever and lock it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in a State that does not allow us to pump our own gas. :) Does your gas pump handle have a lever that allows the gas to pump hands free, then shuts off automatically when done?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I like the idea of a tennis ball. Personally I'd boycott any station that doesn't fix its self locker.

You think the Metris is a pain? My Isuzu FRR had a tank fill in the same height. Two of them. 50 gallons each. And it needed fuel in both tanks to run properly. You have no idea what filling pain is when you are running low on fuel with a 24' box truck with one 50 gallon tank on each side and all you can find is a station with a car diesel pump (smaller filling neck, and a lot slower) and only on one side of the truck (truck stops have double sided pumps so you can fill both tanks) and a busted lock. My wife suggested using the tire thumper- which works, by the way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't get it. There are a few posts like this thread.

How many seconds do we need to open the gas cap to put the nozzle in to squeeze the lever and lock it?
I absolutely NEVER lock the lever and then remove my hand from it,,,,,anymore.
I had a nozzle malfunction a couple of years ago. The cutoff didn't work and gasoline poured out onto the ground. I couldn't get it to stop flowing for several seconds. Lots of gasoline around and under the van. It was very scary. :eek: Since then I always hold the lever and do NOT use the lock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
One never suggested leaving it unattended. Lock it, straighten your back, and attend it.
If the cut-off fails to work properly, you'll get plenty of gasoline on your car and on the ground around and under your car before you can stop it. You'll probably get gasoline on your person and your clothes too, I did. I know it's a rare event. I never gave it a thought before it happened to me. My wife was sitting in the van and I hate to think what might have happened with gasoline flowing under a just stopped vehicle with very hot components just inches away from the gasoline. I guess I'm just paranoid about it now.

Dave

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Having mostly owned diesel cars, I never thought about it. Diesel isn't particularly flammable and you can't fill your car without getting messed up anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts