Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 passenger Metris with roof rails and am looking to install a Fiamma F45 awning to the roof. Fiamma has an adapter kit that will mount to the cross bars but doesn't sell their own cross bars so I'm looking to find the best kind that will allow the awning to be installed. See attached pics from the install guide from Fiamma.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
565 Posts
Is there an image that shows the adapters from a different angle?

The best kind of roof bars may be relative, in as far as all of them have a balance between function, aerodynamics and cost. As I'm sure you know.

The top one looks like T-Slot, the second and third one may be old fashioned " Thule Square Bar "

I have purchased an extra long set of aftermarket square bars (Thule style) by Malone. They function. Nothing fancy. I intended to leave them on the van, but as my van was new, I was trying to sound insulate and optimize fuel economy ... so I have not left them on (as I don't need to haul long ladders often, fortunately enough). But that may be an important point to look at, considering a permanent install, to be more aerodynamic, rather than plain old utilitarian square bars.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
565 Posts
I don't have personal experience with these awnings, but happy to have a look and learn :)
From the manual it looks to me like Square bars only, based on the large flat brace and the thin bracket on the bottom. What surprises me a little is - as expensive as the awnings are - it will just be held in place with the four hand screw things, no additional security measure.
Hopefully somebody can chime in, who installed one of these.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
341 Posts
Those do look like the old style Thule square bars in the instructions. Which is rather surprising.

I'd get the aerodynamic bars since they are less likely to be noisy. But you might have to drill holes for the awning bolts since the aerodynamic bars is wider than the square bar. Making a shim for the aerodynamic bars would also be advisable.

The fastening handle appears to have a captive nylock nut. It so, it should remain secured in place.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
I have a 2018 passenger Metris with roof rails and am looking to install a Fiamma F45 awning to the roof. Fiamma has an adapter kit that will mount to the cross bars but doesn't sell their own cross bars so I'm looking to find the best kind that will allow the awning to be installed. See attached pics from the install guide from Fiamma.
Places like PeaceVans (and the shops upfitting the Getaway) are installing that awning with the Reimo Multirail and the Fiamma adapters. There are some advantages. 1) looks nice 2) the multirail is a long rain gutter keeping water out of the open door 3) creates a strong anchor for the awning. They bond it and physically mount it.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
You probably already know this, but from what I gather the cross bars must line up with the locations on the F45 where the arms extend. I'd personally mount 3 of these.

From the manual the bracket looks like it assumes some specific clearance and wants to clamp on either side of where the cross bar meets the rails for support.

I'd maybe not underestimate the amount of force a wind gust can have on an awning. I'd be more inclined to use the other mounts for head clearance... but I'm over 6'. I'd want all the clearance I can get since the awning slopes down away from the van. I would want to clear the extended edge when walking. Would placing the cross bars at the awning arm locations make those cross bars less than ideal for actually being used for a roof rack? Might mean you need 4 total cross bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I like the idea of three cross bars to make sure it’s secure. It seems like it will need the Thule or similar cross bar that comes out past the roof rack to make sure it has a mounting spot right?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
I think you may have to take a chances. Buy the brackets and once you have them determine the cross bars that work best.

Maybe Rhino Rack or Yakima HDs for strength? Maybe it does not matter. Lots of brands to chose from that offer rail mounts that accommodate bars that extend to any length. Embrace that you can cut these also to shorten them to your needs. You could have ample overhang on the awning side and just enough on the other side. So you could get 66's and trim 3 inches off for example.

If you did 3 bars you may or may not need to shim or add spacers to align front to rear. Dissimilar bars might also work.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
Another thought. Rhino has a lot of awning bracket options. Fiamma has a universal kit. You might be able to put these together in some way for less than the specialized Fiamma brackets.

Like a Fiamma 98655-391 and Rhino 31111 or 32127 .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts