Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Fiamma e-bike rack fits a Metris

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  pounce 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share that the Fiamma e-bike rack for the V Class fits a metris. The Fiamma techs confirmed.

It's expensive. You can order if from the various over seas shops and you can order it from Fiamma USA out of Florida. Takes a few months to get it and they charge list price.

Benefits:
  • Mounts to the existing mount locations on the lift gate hinges and has a support on the door that friction fits on the sides. No holes need to be drilled.
  • Can carry 130lb so about two 65lb e-bikes.
  • Leaves the trailer hitch available for a trailer
  • Enhanced ground clearance on slope transitions since you don't have bikes hanging out the back.
  • It has a lift system that lowers and raises the bikes for easy loading and off-loading
  • Can carry regular bikes and whaever else you want to mount to it like a cargo box. Fiamma has a cargo box in various sizes.

Cons:
  • Price is over 1k
  • Probably cannot open lift gate with bikes loaded.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If you don't have e-bikes and don't need the "lift" option, Fiamma has a couple less expensive options:

The Vito model clips to the top of the lift gate (door) and the V-class model mounts to the fight gate hinges. I actually ended up buying a highly-discounted Fiamma T4 Carry-Bike Pro and bent the tubes and clips to fit the Metris.

Scroll down to comment #15 for a couple pics.

#4 ·
If you don't have e-bikes and don't need the "lift" option, Fiamma has a couple less expensive

The Vito model clips to the top of the lift gate (door) and the V-class model mounts to the fight gate hinges.
Just to help a little on the point. If a person wants a non e-bikes version for the metris all options also mount to the lift gate hinges. It can be a little confusing on their website due to how long the Vito has been in production and previous models that were not W447 based.

The choices are using the Viano models or using the V class Premium model that comes in 2 bike and up to 4 bike configuration.

We are really lucky to have the mount locations on the hinges. I've thought to mount other things there like rollers to help top kayaks.

#6 ·
The topic here really is ebikes and the Fiamma rack.

Other good racks that don't meet the requirement of freeing up the hitch are sort of hard to find.

1up racks are very good and I'd probably say that most serious pro cyclists use them. Another hitch mounted rack for ebikes that works well are the Hollywood Racks Sport Rider and Sport Rider SE. Te 1up is going to be about 600 and the Hollywood rack between 450 and 650.

#8 ·
I'm missing how these mount to the hinges, no drilling required ... as the photos and the manual shows drill 4 holes in the trunk lid.

There also seems mention of an option for swing out cargo doors, but the Fiamma site is very user unfriendly when I try to use search.

RE: 1up
Super cool. Somebody had their thinking cap on. Anybody with cargo doors? Would cargo doors be able to swing open?

For me. I am happy to hear about other options, out of general interest, I currently have cargo bay doors. A future " dream " Metris may have a lift gate, my passion was windsurfing and I have traveled with either wet gear or bikes before in cars and vans, but never both at the same time. So, I am keeping options in mind for down the road. I may like to roll a kayak or paddle board onto the roof. But have found that the factor MB Metris rails, that giant rear arched piece prevents installing a cross bar close enough to the rear of the van to function as a support, even roller, to rest and slide something up from behind. :/

#9 ·
I'm missing how these mount to the hinges, no drilling required ... as the photos and the manual shows drill 4 holes in the trunk lid.

There also seems mention of an option for swing out cargo doors, but the Fiamma site is very user unfriendly when I try to use search.

RE: 1up
Super cool. Somebody had their thinking cap on. Anybody with cargo doors? Would cargo doors be able to swing open?

For me. I am happy to hear about other options, out of general interest, I currently have cargo bay doors. A future " dream " Metris may have a lift gate, my passion was windsurfing and I have traveled with either wet gear or bikes before in cars and vans, but never both at the same time. So, I am keeping options in mind for down the road. I may like to roll a kayak or paddle board onto the roof. But have found that the factor MB Metris rails, that giant rear arched piece prevents installing a cross bar close enough to the rear of the van to function as a support, even roller, to rest and slide something up from behind. :/
If you look at their website, they have a version for cargo doors.

#12 ·
I'm using the RockyMount BackStage with an 8 inch hitch extension. The rack swivels out of the way of the cargo doors and allows access to the back of the van without having to remove the bikes. Not sure about the weight requirements with e-bikes, but I couldn't be happier with the bike rack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.