Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Falken Wildpeak A/T Tires -?

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Partyof5 
#1 ·
I'd never heard of Falken but apparently they're a division of Dunlop Goodyear, which is owned by Sumitomo. Discount tire suggested them as a cheaper light truck option to the Michelin Defenders and I'm curious if anyone's tried them, as I didn't see any posts. Stronger straighter sidewalls they said.

We lasted 28k on the oem Hankooks, and got to 42k on a replacement set, but if the Defenders cost double and give double the usable life, maybe this is an in-between solution. In fairness, I'm pretty sure we weren't on schedule every 6k - I'm so used to rotations every other oil change with previous vans.

We have a '16 Passenger - mostly local Chicago burbs plus road trips usage. 2 adults, 2 preteens. The van's been great but I also just learned about the 2 alldata bulletins (tires wear prematurely ) and (1-sided wear on the front axle) - which is a shame.

#2 ·
I have an extended wheelbase cargo lightly loaded for weekend fun. Only 11k on the 'kooks, but they are wearing well so I am guessing I'll get close to 25k. Anyway, Michelins wear like iron but you're not going to get 80k. I plan to take a hard look at the Vredestein line up. I had them as winter tires back in Colorado and they were great (and cheaper than Michelins). I kind of like having a good winter (all season) tire anyway as my future travels will be longer and northern-er.

#4 ·
I put them on my seldom used f150 a few months ago. Haven't noticed any road noise roar at all.Can't comment on how well they wear as I only put maybe 300 miles on them so far. But, with that said. I say go for it if your looking for a A/T tire for the metris. Plus, they come in 225/55/17 as I never been a fan of oversized tires. I like to stick with what's posted on the door sticker of the vehicle. (data plate)

#6 ·
Yes, the 99 f150 single cab 4x4 was a neglected nightmare. I bought it last yr. So far I've done plugs, wires, radiator, fuel pump, rebuilt the suspension and repaired multiple vacuum leaks all done by me. Also had the transmission rebuilt by shop down the street because I didn't want to lay on my back in the driveway and pull it myself. But. yes I got more into it than what it's worth but my family likes the truck as it great having a beater to haul stuff and romp around without worry of scratching it.

#7 ·
I'd never heard of Falken but apparently they're a division of Dunlop Goodyear, which is owned by Sumitomo. Discount tire suggested them as a cheaper light truck option to the Michelin Defenders and I'm curious if anyone's tried them, as I didn't see any posts. Stronger straighter sidewalls they said.

We lasted 28k on the oem Hankooks, and got to 42k on a replacement set, but if the Defenders cost double and give double the usable life, maybe this is an in-between solution. In fairness, I'm pretty sure we weren't on schedule every 6k - I'm so used to rotations every other oil change with previous vans.

We have a '16 Passenger - mostly local Chicago burbs plus road trips usage. 2 adults, 2 preteens. The van's been great but I also just learned about the 2 alldata bulletins (tires wear prematurely ) and (1-sided wear on the front axle) - which is a shame.

Yes, I would rotate tires twice to every oil change...based on 10,000-15,000 mile change intervals. That bulletin most likely doesn't apply to you if you are getting that many miles out of handkook tires. There were vans with tire wear issues from the factory due to misalignment.

#8 ·
Update: we've put about 200+ miles on the new Falken tires and they're just fine so far. No noticeable increase in road nose, and they look more assertive too. We have an alignment deal with Firestone so had that checked after the new tires- and added a calendar reminder at 6k miles to rotate. Here's hoping these wear better, and last much longer.

#9 ·
Update. We have about 1500 miles on our Falken Wildpeak A/Ts and have been very happy. They ride better than the OEM Hankooks, and like Partyof5, we have no issue with road noise and can appreciate the look. MPG may have dropped by about 1 mpg. Coupled with a recent Peace Vans lift, we’re really digging the improved off road capability. If you’re thinking about a swap, I’d highly recommend it.

#10 ·
I used falkens on another car before and traction in anything but dry weather was horrendous. With tires you generally get what you pay for. When mine needs them next spring it will be Michelins. If your in a dry/warm area its probably not a big deal, but around here we get every type of weather that exists.

#12 ·
I also saw the Wildpeaks a couple months ago when I needed to replace worn tires and searched tirerack. Comes in OE size, but I wanted to go bigger...however, also didn't want the negatives like possible rubbing and gear ratio change with sizes like Cooper's 235/60 (minimum size for A/T it seems until now). Ended up compromising and getting the 235/55R17 size on the OE 5-spoke alloy rims, which is ~2% larger diameter so theoretically minimal on gearing change but about 1/4" increase radius and clearance (and of course the width). My tire chains for OE size are also listed for the 235/55, so that's good, but they are pretty difficult to install on the larger size.

Very happy so far after about 3,000 mi. I haven't been able to make a good analysis of fuel consumption change since I've put a roof top tent on the van and played with wind deflector designs at the same time.

#15 ·
Anyone have an update that has been running these Wildpeak A/T tires for longer than 1500 miles? How are they doing? Have they effected your fuel economy much? I need some new tires for my 2017 cargo and like the fact that these have the snowflake, and seem good for the little bit of off-roading that I do while camping. Mostly tho, I will drive in the city, and not much snow, so not sure if its worth going with A/T tires.

#16 ·
We're now at 60.6k, and just replaced the other 2 Hankooks with Falkens. I can rotate properly now. Didn't need an alignment but made sure to put it in spec with the lifetime deal anyway.
There's a bit of road noise, but with kids, traffic and the radio, it's not something you think about. They look more assertive and are wearing well, doing very well in snow, winter mix, rain, and highway speeds when dry as well. I like how the rear wheels push thru the winter muck while feeling secure that the fronts have a solid grip with the road.
Didn't get the certificates from discount tire this time, as the price went up and their fine print didn't produce an amazing deal anymore. For ~$200 these tires can handle the metris' weight, load and died needs, and help maneuvering. So far so good.

#17 ·
Thanks for the update! I like the sound of that. I unfortunately had one of my rear hankooks slashed, and my fronts are pretty much worn out. Anyone know if Discount Tires certificate covers sidewall slashes? I'd hate to get all new tires and this happen again. Unfortunately there is a lot of vehicle theft and vandalism going on lately. Has anyone noticed much change in MPG with the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires vs. Hankooks or other regular tires?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.