Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my van tomorrow. They say I have 30 days to buy Extended Warranty at initial price...it goes up after that.

Price for additional 4 years and up to 120,000 miles is expensive...$3600. Never been an extended warranty person in past, but recently have found them valuable in recent times. Had an 2001 VW Eurovan and it was first time I bought an EW and boy did it pay for itself! I have never owned a MB product but have always thought they were pretty reliable.

Just wondering what other owners have done or are thinking regarding these extended warranty programs.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Buddy (coworker at Benz) bought it for his 211 E500. First repair paid for itself. Trans started to hiccup, got a brand new trans. Then engine mounts

What's it go up to?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I was thinking of goes up to 7 years and 120,000 miles. I tend to keep things a while.

I am thinking that if anything reasonably pricey goes, I will be kicking myself I didn't get it. Just a big chunk of change.

·
Registered
933 Posts
No, I mean what does the price rise to? It's my understanding that you can buy it at anytime under the mileage/age but I really just fix them, not handle any of the monies.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh...sorry for not reading more careful. I think he said it goes up about 15% after a 30 day window.

I picked up van yesterday, but decided to think about warranty a bit.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.

Mercedes are the best built, longest lived cars on the road. They are also the most advanced, cutting edge, and expensive cars on the road, which means lots of not entirely proven and perfected very expensive tech and parts on them. When stuff breaks, and it does, you can almost always get to the dealer under your own power.

And then you max out your credit card. My plan is to try to match warranty to payments so that I can switch car payment to repair fund on my budget. I love Mercedes. I am a die hard fan. And I am telling you, as a person who really believes that The Best Or Nothing is a much a statement of fact as a slogan, they break and cost an arm and a leg to fix. Get That Warranty!

The fact that our resident Mercedes tech is telling you to do the same should tell you something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Elw

Just adding my experience. I bought my new Metris a couple of weeks ago and was back today to order some interior panels. While there I talked to the finance department, who handles ELW and Maintenance packages. My van came with two free services, the A and the B, so didn't really want the Maintenance package, but after reading many posts on this forum, I opted for the 7 year, 120,000 mile ELW for $3500. The salesman hadn't talked to me about during my purchase, so I paid cash for it today vs rolling it into the finance package. I plan to keep the van for a long time and felt this was a good purchase.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Does the price vary by dealer ship? Can I still get an extended warranty on my 2016 metris. I took delivery November 2016

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You can provided you are sill under the 3/36k warranty. And all prices are negotiable, anywhere, on anything. Car dealerships are not the only place you can negotiate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to know what people are paying for the their MB extended warranty. We were just quoted 3380 for it from dealership.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yup, my dealer quoted $3400, and would give me a 10% discount if I accepted on the spot.
I demurred.
I am still on the fence about purchasing one.
I know Greenmanedlion thinks they are worth it, but +$3K is a lot of money for something that might not happen.
B

·
Registered
386 Posts
+$3K is a lot of money for something that might not happen.
B
So you're counting on a modern day MB to NOT have a major repair bill? If you're planning on just keeping it maybe 1y or 12k miles outside factory warranty...ok...but going until the 'wheels fall off' then I think its worth it. I havent bought yet but when I get a bonus, I'll seek out a good deal for one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So you're counting on a modern day MB to NOT have a major repair bill? If you're planning on just keeping it maybe 1y or 12k miles outside factory warranty...ok...but going until the 'wheels fall off' then I think its worth it. I havent bought yet but when I get a bonus, I'll seek out a good deal for one.
That is a good point. I have owned a Sprinter for 13 years and have only needed to replace the glow plugs, besides regular maintenance, so perhaps I have been lucky.
I have to go back to the dealer to redo some paperwork. I'll see if I can get the ELW.

Do you folks think $3,400 is a decent price for the 7year/120K miles contract?
Bob

1 - 20 of 126 Posts