Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m now looking at a 2020 with just under 2,300 miles and about 1-1/2 years of factory warranty left. Merc dealer is offering a 5 year warranty for around $2300. I’m leaning towards it seeing how expensive repairs are on these but I’d appreciate any opinions either way.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
585 Posts
Only you can decide the value. Nobody can know if the warranty service will be used. Some of the value in things like insurance is knowing your risk is limited. Piece of mind.

My only advice is to ensure you get the Mercedes warranty and no other 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I'm going to get it, like you said, peace of mind. it is a mercedes warranty so i think I'm good. Thanks!

Only you can decide the value. Nobody can know if the warranty service will be used. Some of the value in things like insurance is knowing your risk is limited. Piece of mind.

My only advice is to ensure you get the Mercedes warranty and no other 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine has spent 1.5 months of the last year at the dealership getting warranty repairs. I shudder to think what that might have cost me otherwise.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So I’m now looking at a 2020 with just under 2,300 miles and about 1-1/2 years of factory warranty left. Merc dealer is offering a 5 year warranty for around $2300. I’m leaning towards it seeing how expensive repairs are on these but I’d appreciate any opinions either way.
What's the mileage cap?

I paid around $3,000 for 7/120, give or take a couple hundred (my purchase was one deal, so the subtotals are a bit arbitrary). 7/120 = 4/84 extension. Depending when your 5 years start running, and the mileage cap, that's a great price or not.

In my case, so far Mercedes-Benz is winning the financial bet as I have had zero issues. I'm still happy. I'd rather have a pristine van and a warranty than a repaired van and a warranty, not that it makes much difference if you get dealer service.

Reactions: handyguy

·
Registered
197 Posts
I found this. Here: https://assets.mbvans.com/Mercedes-...ntenance/2020-Metris-Service-and-Warranty.pdf

I also found this which ended Dec 31: "5 years/ 75,000 miles Complimentary Extended Limited Warranty available for 2020 Mercedes-Benz Metris Vans. Excludes National and Medium fleet customers. Must take delivery of vehicle by December 31, 2020. Commercial Customers are required to perform maintenance exclusively at an Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealership".

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
155 Posts
My ‘20 bought in Sept ‘20 came with 5yr/75k.

I did not know how/why.

I do recall reading one time, on the another MB forum, that the fees for these things they present are actually not fixed, but negotiable, and some dealers may wrap them into a package deal at a lower cost ... ( and we all know they play a numbers game, so you may overpay for something else, always get less for your trade etc, ... ) Anyhow, this seemed insider info from a forum sponsor who offered to help with future sales. And, my wife actually at one time scored such a deal, with a motivated dealer. Tiny dealership, punching above its weight, making customers in three or four surrounding states happy.

I personally could be persuaded to do pre-paid maintenance and extednded warranty, if they would allow me to adjust the price down a bit, ... since mb is not cheap for anything. The numbers don’t seem quite favorable enough, when I do the math. So, between my wife and I, we decide against these offers, and cross fingers.

We did luck out on one engine issue with her car happening just under warranty, right as we were going to park it for six months, and I stopped at the gas station to refuel, she pulls up behind me, and I was literally W T F is that racket ?!? ... Left the car for two days. All sorted. Only to have the repair work fail ~ two years later (?) with her engine leaking oil ... outside of mb/dealership warranty for that repair. Ggggrrrr.

Anyway.

Right now we are driving less than normal, so warranties extending years or miles are a skip.

And, sometimes you have to be smart. Some stuff ( like tires, shocks, ... ) I will take to an indie mechanic. We were at the dealership the other day. Car indicated it needed a simple A service. Set up an A appointment. Only to have the service drone (sorry) scare my wife that the car really needed its 40k service. Yeah, NO! Stuff does not magically sludge, clog, burn up, go rancid, ... in 16000 miles. The vehicle is for all intents and purposes afaic brand new, as you see it sitting there, shiny, clean, no mechanical issues. Stuff that depends on mileage driven ( some of which used to be lifetime! ) does not prematurely fail 24k miles early. I will do A&B as the computer states until I hit 40k or unless something else is observed, within reason. I am not paying > $1k for something it doesn’t need yet, only for you to tell my wife down the road, when the car actually hits $40k that it will need it AGAIN! I will actualky have a wird with the service manager - who I have had great interactions with over the past 10 years, from when he was just at the basic level - about that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine has spent 1.5 months of the last year at the dealership getting warranty repairs. I shudder to think what that might have cost me otherwise.
Can you tell us a little about why your van was at the dealer for 45 days? I would like to some of the problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you tell us a little about why your van was at the dealer for 45 days? I would like to some of the problems.
Well, it started with a exterior light fault warning on the dash. The warning would come up after pressing the brake pedal for more than 3 seconds. There were no lighting malfunctions, just the warning, so I would clear it every time I started the van. I lived with that until I brought it in to the dealer for the fuel line recall which they performed. At the same time they troubleshooted the ext. light issue replacing various parts to no avail. They kept it a few weeks but did not resolve the problem and asked I bring it back when other parts came in from Germany. When I first got it back home a new (engine light) purge valve code was there that apparently the delivery driver paid no attention to. I believe it was related to work performed in the fuel line recall. Soon it went back when other parts came in to fix the light issue. It was a bit of trial and error; the fuel pump was replaced among other things including a custom fabrication ( instead of replacement) of the entire fuel pump wiring harness (82 parts). This ultimately fixed the light fault though obviously it seemed unrelated to the brake pedal that triggered it so a bit of a mystery how they were connected; think complex German engineering. That was another few weeks. It came back to me with light issue fixed but guess what; they forgot to address the purge valve fault code so after another couple weeks it went back to have that valve replaced. This time only a week to fix. I was informed during all this that I was not the only one (though rare) with the ext. light fault problem and that the folks at Mercedes headquarters in Germany wanted it solved no matter what it took. No doubt unnecessary work was performed in an effort to find a solution as this was outside anyone's experience with the Metris. I did receive a loaner car for the 2nd and 3rd visits. They also put 200+ miles on the odometer during their experimentation period. Don't know what all that would have cost had there been no warranty. I'm sure I would have not fixed the light code issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts