Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to absolutely confirm a Mercedes Extended Life Warranty purchased out of state will be honored in Washington State?

I went into Mercedes Seattle today to try to buy the 7/120 ELW. I decided to have my B service done as well, hoping to show a little good will and maybe strike a better deal on the warranty. After paying $1100 (initially quoted $1300) for an underwhelming level of service I was told that Mercedes does not offer ELW on the Metris in Washington State and was instead offered a third party 60k mile warranty for $4500. :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has anyone been able to absolutely confirm a Mercedes Extended Life Warranty purchased out of state will be honored in Washington State?

I went into Mercedes Seattle today to try to buy the 7/120 ELW. I decided to have my B service done as well, hoping to show a little good will and maybe strike a better deal on the warranty. After paying $1100 (initially quoted $1300) for an underwhelming level of service I was told that Mercedes does not offer ELW on the Metris in Washington State and was instead offered a third party 60k mile warranty for $4500. :mad:
Metris ELW brochure does state that it is not available in all states. But, the general MB ELW service & warranty booklet says: "Honored at all authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the Unites States and Puerto Rico."

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sprinter forums also suggested the warranty could be purchased anywhere and would be honored in Washington State.

I started by calling the closest out of state dealers. Portland, OR was busy and didn't call me back. Salem, OR told me the warranty could only be sold to the original owner and offered me a third part warranty. The only available to the original owner part didn't seem true so I kept calling around. I then tried to reach out to some of the contacts I found here and on the sprinter forum but they were out of office today.

I then just googled "#1 volume sprinter dealer" hoping I could find a dealer that knew what they were talking about. The Boulder\Westminster CO dealer came up. I called them and spoke to Kambiz (KB) Yazdanfar. He quoted the 7/120 at $4600 and offered it at $4100.

I procrastinated too long and waited until I got too close to the 36k mark. My wife was standing over my shoulder asking when she could drive her van again. I asked her to limit her driving in case we needed to drive to Portland to verify the mileage. Because my wife was standing over my shoulder and I was worried about waiting too long and becoming ineligible I just accepted the offer rather than shopping around more.

KB confirmed my van was originally purchased by Sixt on 12/31/1015 and that's when the 7 year timer started.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sprinter forums also suggested the warranty could be purchased anywhere and would be honored in Washington State.

I started by calling the closest out of state dealers. Portland, OR was busy and didn't call me back. Salem, OR told me the warranty could only be sold to the original owner and offered me a third part warranty. The only available to the original owner part didn't seem true so I kept calling around. I then tried to reach out to some of the contacts I found here and on the sprinter forum but they were out of office today.

I then just googled "#1 volume sprinter dealer" hoping I could find a dealer that knew what they were talking about. The Boulder\Westminster CO dealer came up. I called them and spoke to Kambiz (KB) Yazdanfar. He quoted the 7/120 at $4600 and offered it at $4100.

I procrastinated too long and waited until I got too close to the 36k mark. My wife was standing over my shoulder asking when she could drive her van again. I asked her to limit her driving in case we needed to drive to Portland to verify the mileage. Because my wife was standing over my shoulder and I was worried about waiting too long and becoming ineligible I just accepted the offer rather than shopping around more.

KB confirmed my van was originally purchased by Sixt on 12/31/1015 and that's when the 7 year timer started.
Congrats. It was a good call to pull the trigger, considering the WA complication and the urgency (due to miles). The going rate was around $3600, if I am not mistaken. So not a terrible loss at $500 over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I don't feel too bad about the price I paid.

The "good" price is about $3600 when purchased with a new vehicle. Mercedes says the price goes up if you purchase later and I haven't found anyone on the forums who could say how much it went up.

Kambiz said the price goes up 15% when you buy after the fact. I don't know if that's a hard line or of there is more room to negotiate toward the as new price. I didn't mention $3600 but did the math in my head and figured $4100 was a %15 increase over that price and was happy enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I don't feel too bad about the price I paid.

The "good" price is about $3600 when purchased with a new vehicle. Mercedes says the price goes up if you purchase later and I haven't found anyone on the forums who could say how much it went up.

Kambiz said the price goes up 15% when you buy after the fact. I don't know if that's a hard line or of there is more room to negotiate toward the as new price. I didn't mention $3600 but did the math in my head and figured $4100 was a %15 increase over that price and was happy enough.
Considering the ELW price, I'm curious to know whether you've done the following analysis before purchase:

'Used w/ 36K + 4 years ELW years warranty' vs. 'Brand new that comes with 3 year warranty'

'25K-26K + 4K = ~30K-31K vs. '~35K-38K but maintenance savings from lack-o-wear/tear from 36K miles (and 2018 upgrades like no need to replace side mirrors etc.)'

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I purchased with the intention of keeping the van for more than three years and therefore would have purchased the ELW either way.

Considering the price of Mercedes service and parts I consider it a reasonable bet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So with all the advice on this board to be sure to get the ELW to offset the repair costs of owning a Benz, I'm left wondering if anyone here expects to keep their Metris past the end of the ELW (that is, past the 7 year mark)? I typically keep my cars for 10 or 15 years, but is that going to be prohibitively expensive to maintain a Metris after the warranty expires?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
It isn’t so much a good bet as the only reasonable choice. The price comparison is invalid because I suspect he would have bought it even if the van was new.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I, too, tend to keep my vehicles for over 10 years, but I try to gauge when repairs seem to occur more frequently or when ride quality decreases as to when I consider selling.
I got the 7 year ELW, based mostly on Greenmanedlions posts. These new vehicles have too much electronics that can go belly up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts