Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I would like a collaborative effort for mutual benefit. I think there should be an exhaustive step by step "How To" tutorial for every single item in the Maintenance Program. Including tools needed, expertise level, pictures, video links (we could start a youtube channel) etc. For example...
1st Service A ...What to do, how to do it (I know the oil change is simple, but other items as well)
1st Service B....What and How step by step (the transmission oil change sounds difficult...how to do it without access to expensive shop tools/machines)
2nd service A and B
3 Service A and B
Etc Etc

Purpose/Goal of this??
So that those who do not want to pay for the Maintenance Plan (I did, but hope to return it) can do the work themselves at a Pro level and maintain warranty.
Does this sound interesting to others? Please contribute :)
Yours Truly, Film

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is a great idea. There are very knowledgeable people on this forum. Hopefully, they have a little extra time to write and document the different maintenance procedures. I confess that I too bought the prepaid maintenance plan. MB had a good sales pitch and my wife, who was sitting next to me, reminded me that I never have time to do THOSE things, because we are too busy playing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
So that those who do not want to pay ... can do the work themselves at a Pro level...
What Professionals hear all the time in their own industry/sector. I'm just as budget-conscious as the next guy, but I'm keenly aware of just how much you can 'maintenance service' ANY 2016+ vehicle...Mercedes thru Kia.

Reactions: DerDichter

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can't and don't want to do major service myself. I would like to know how to release the windshield wipers from the arms so I can replace them. I don't want to booger anything up. :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Slide plastic cover parallel to the arms away from arm, and tilt wiper blade away. To install new blade place them where old ones were, and slide cover back into original position.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Whilst under warranty it would be wise to do what Greenmanedlion said. After the warranty, do what you will.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I want to apologize. While I don't actually believe in self maintaining MB vehicles, and do not back away from my strong suggestion that you don't, my post was meant as humorous, and I don't wish to derail this thread from the purpose of providing those who wish to go against my advice with quality information on how to do so properly.

I disagree with Road Ghost insomuch as I think the competent dealer has a lot more institutional knowledge for finding a $500 failure before it goes catastrophically and takes $1500 worth of other stuff with it. The warranty will be honored if you demonstrate the work was done; doing things my way is a conceptional choice, not a warranty requirement.

So let's get back to providing the relevant advice this thread was intended for.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll have a go,

First A service, for me was done at 10,100 miles, 1 month prior to the year mark.

Oil change:
Was straight forward, remove belly pan, drain oil, R&R drain plug crush washer, replace plug. lift and push air cleaner housing out of the way, R&R filter, refill oil, run check for leaks, replace belly pan. reset service minder.

Only two things of note were that a 27mm socket is needed for the filter housing and when removing the filter cartridge, the entire "stalk" inside the housing snaps or pulls off, somewhat surprisingly.

The rest:
Complete inspection of vehicle, looking for loose, worn or "wet" parts. (None found) top off of the rest of the fluids was straight forward as well.

Parts or materials:

From this forum, oil change video and service A/B sheet.

Mann oil Filter and Amsoil Euro 5w40.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Someone should post the maintenance schedule straight off of WIS, that way everyone knows what each service calls for. Maybe put it in a thread called "2016 Metris maintenance sheet as per MB". I'm sure that could be pretty helpful for knowing what's recommended when.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And I do have to add tha while I do the majority of my routine maintenance (oil changes, brakes, some fluids, etc) because I enjoy it, have to tools, time and knowledge, the dealer will see it for certain things, trans services, coolant exchange, broken and mysterious things, etc, as there is a point when it is no longer enjoyable or cost saving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts