Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 2002 VW Eurovan, 16" steel wheel will fit on a 2016 Metris? Just got new snow tires(225 60R 16) and wheels in November for the VW and I'd rather use them than sell them on Craigslist. Thanks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I doubt it. VW uses lug nuts, I thought?

MB uses a weird attachment for wheels using bolts instead of nuts. I'm pretty sure they are the only company that does so. But I've never owned a VW. I remember my mother's A6 having nuts, though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think the type of fasteners would be the deciding factor but what would be the deciding factors would be the bolt hole size and spacing, the circumference, wheel offset and load carrying ability. There may be others such as body interference.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Wheels designed for lug nuts are actually distinctly different than those designed for lug bolts, so that difference alone makes things a non starter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
MB uses a weird attachment for wheels using bolts instead of nuts. I'm pretty sure they are the only company that does so. But I've never owned a VW. I remember my mother's A6 having nuts, though.
All the Germans do lug bolts these days. So do Fiat/Alfa. Obnoxious habit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Obnoxious? What is obnoxious is the fact that anyone still uses lug nuts.
It's a PITA to position 50+ pounds of wheel with one hand while starting a bolt with the other. Manufacturers attempt to band-aid over this problem with an eccentric locator pin which inevitably hangs up in a lug hole, thwarting installation entirely. Lug bolts suck.

They do it to reduce inventory and save a couple cents on finishing operations.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Mercedes supply's a locating pin that screws into a lug hole and is used to position the wheel. It's not hard to use. The advantages are twofold- 1) you don't sheer off the lug spindle, and 2) it is vastly more secure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mercedes supply's a locating pin that screws into a lug hole and is used to position the wheel. It's not hard to use. The advantages are twofold- 1) you don't sheer off the lug spindle, and 2) it is vastly more secure.
That tool is a workaround to a problem most cars don't even have in the first place.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Volvos use bolts as well, they use to have a pin mounted on the calipers for easier mounting, they don't anymore.....cheap [email protected]

But the snow tires for my current Volvo are universal fit steelies from Unique Wheels. I don't think there is any inherent differences in wheel construction or design based on the mounting style, of bolts or nuts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, did I open a can of nuts, I mean bolts... Tire Rack in South Seattle says they should fit. We shall see in the fall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They will not work, the hub bore on a mecedes wheel is 66 and the VW is 57.1. they have the same bolt pattern and the offsets are similar, you can always have the hub bore drilled out . but your answer is NO

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are correct. I sold them with the van. Now getting ready to buy new studless snow tires for the Metris. I'll go with Nokians again. Just need a set of rims. Anyone upgrading and want to get rid of those old ones?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts