Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming... and I want to add a furnace to my 2016 Metris Cargo van. I see a very nice write-up with great pictures on this forum about adding a Webasto under the driver seat. Unfortunately the upfitter I am working with only installs Espar's (primarily the diesel version on Sprinter vans) - they have never done one on a Metris before but are willing to let me be their first Metris install - which makes me a little nervous...

I was wondering if anybody out there has experience with the Espar gasoline furnace (uppfitter was suggesting model B4L) in a Metris? I assume if Webasto's work then their competitors version should also work? Any shared experiences are appreciated...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a boat that had an Espar heater, I forget which model it was but most likely it was one of the smallest. Comparable Webasto and Espar models are quite similar in size, noise level, fuel consumption and power requirements. Both have good reputations for reliability. When I installed a Webasto in my van it was the only quality gasoline fueled small heater that I could find. I did not want to add a separate diesel fuel tank for an Espar.

Installation is not all that difficult so I wouldn't be concerned about an experienced upfitter getting it done correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an Espar or Eberspächer in a VW T4 but the water heater that's installed in the heater hose, easy to install. It was a diesel because the VW was the same. It really doesn't matter gas or diesel as they make both so you can draw off the vans fuel tank.

For me the water heater is the way to go as, obviously, engine water is heated but more importantly engine oil is also heated thereby reducing wear on engine at start up, important in very cold climates. The unit heats and circulates the engine water and it reaches a certain temp the car's heater fan turns on and with the heater controls set to demist - ice melted off of windshield, and interior nice and warm also. Fuel consumption only about .25 l/hr.

I'm taking delivery of a Metris and that's the first thing I'm installing.

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. A quick google search shows:

Is this the model you are looking at? Looks like it installs in the engine compartment? (which will save space inside the van). Also looks to be less expensive than the Espar B4L air heater (a good thing). Preheating the engine is a bonus plus having heat come out the existing air vents might be superior to having the heat come out in a single vent under the driver seat. Are there any downsides to installing this heater vs the air heater?

I will definitely look into this option more. Thanks again for the awesome tips on this forum. Maybe when I get some more experience with my Metris I can return the favor...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes this is it. It was some 20 yrs ago that I installed one in the T4/Eurovan. I think the unit is probably the same size but a quick look at their website shows lots of different controllers. My previous one had the in dash controller but had the option of the remote start through small remote on the key ring, very handy if you didn't leave the house at the same time every day for the timer to be of use.

They also offered a camper van addition which consisted of extension water hoses and a heat exchange with fan. This was obviously to to be installed on a larger motorhome eg. LWB Sprinter with a bathroom at the back. On the size of Metris this is really not necessary. The van warms up very quickly.

I've spent many a night at below freezing and had to crack open a window! Sorry for delay in answering.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I cracked open a window camping in the winter in the ski parking lot at A Basin -- literally. My little Coleman catalytic heater is great, but the Eurovan glass was, alas, not Pyrex.

Back on thread, I saw the heatso website has an Espar that prioritizes warming the heater core before the engine block. Seems like that makes way more sense than always having to warm the whole engine block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a link to one of the hydronic units. This one has a separate water pump whereas the one I had the water pump was integral. Also on the T4 diesel I was able to take a tap off of the fuel filter - located under the hood - which meant just a few inches of fuel line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts