Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently I had my Metris Cargo towed to the dealer because it wouldn't shift out of park. ESP Inoperable and Wiper Malfunction were showing on the dash. They fixed it within 48 hours with a new control module installed in the steering column. 37 miles later and it did it again. Dealer still has it (it's been almost a week) and they said it had to "go to engineering", whatever that means. A whole lot of diagnostics going on...

Anyone have a similar problem?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Probably a damaged wiring harness rubbing/shorting on something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer called today to say they are having computer interface issues with MB USA and they won’t know when it will be fixed. They are getting me a rental van. Based on the reputation of German cars I kinda figured I might have to deal with a complex repair at some point but 9500 miles is too soon for my taste. If only my Metris had the mechanical simplicity of my first gen CR-V... 153k and never been in the shop longer than a day and never for anything that wasn’t utterly worn out.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I am not going to excuse the problems you are having with it; they are utterly unacceptable even in today’s world.

But nothing you can buy today is going to offer you the simplicity of a late 90s Honda; which by the way were actually fairly complicated cars for their day (Variable valve timing, electronically controlled transmissions, Viscous clutch AWD, and Honda’s double-wishbone Suspension was all pretty heady stuff) He’ll, when it came out, the Honda CRV was one of only a few SUVs with fully independent suspension (the others being the M-class, the Hummer, and the Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer).

I’ve often longed for a vehicle with the mechanical simplicity of a traditional American car and the build quality of an 80s Mercedes- unfortunately the last Checker Marathon left the factory almost forty years ago.

The problems associated with the transmission are part of the nature of an electronically shifted autobox- which is not to say other companies haven’t figured out how to do it without it being unreliable. If they had offered the six-speed manual here I would have taken it though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah in terms of overall vehicle complexity there are many "average" cars on the road now that are more complex/loaded with more gadgets than the Metris. I'd throw it in the middle of the pack in terms of overall complexity.

Mine has had 0 issues at all, nearing 9k miles/over a year of ownership.

Seems like the issue rate among cargo versions is a lot higher than passenger models.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did you buy new? Are you saying ZERO abnormal repairs needed in 157K Miles? Thanks

How about an odometer pic

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I could believe no abnormal repairs on a 157k mike Honda of that era. It would be really cool if Honda or Toyota would actually import commercial grade products here... but they don’t.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to the shop foreman on Friday, he said it was probably a software bug. It's been over two weeks now. When I first got in a Metris I thought the electronic pushbutton shifter was gimmicky and might spell trouble someday.

The dealer couldn't arrange for a rental van, so they gave me a very fancy Ford Explorer. Now if there is one thing that MB dealers understand it is how to set up company executives. The MSRP on this Ford is WAY over my Metris. It's a snazzy ride. I can't imagine how much they are paying each day for me to drive it. They got it for me knowing I needed something to cart tools and materials around (!). While it certainly has more capacity than my CR-V, I can't so much as put a scratch on it. So I'm using my CR-V and a utility trailer as a temporary cargo van, and the Ford to consult with clients and cart the kids around. The CR-V is a little short on capability (1000lb tow capacity with 650lb trailer equals 350lb of materials, or just a hair over nothing in my world), but it sure knows how to show up on time. That's rule number one in my contractor's playbook: show up on time, with kit, ready to go.

I'm glad to hear there are some Metris folks out there who are having a trouble-free experience. I really want to believe that my van's issue is a statistical anomaly; if the manufacturer ends up buying my van back, there really isn't anything else out there as suitable for what I do and how I do it. (I'd rather drive my Metris than the rental Ford Explorer.) If it could show up whenever I needed it, it would be the perfect van.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not going to excuse the problems you are having with it; they are utterly unacceptable even in today’s world.

But nothing you can buy today is going to offer you the simplicity of a late 90s Honda; which by the way were actually fairly complicated cars for their day (Variable valve timing, electronically controlled transmissions, Viscous clutch AWD, and Honda’s double-wishbone Suspension was all pretty heady stuff) He’ll, when it came out, the Honda CRV was one of only a few SUVs with fully independent suspension (the others being the M-class, the Hummer, and the Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer).

I’ve often longed for a vehicle with the mechanical simplicity of a traditional American car and the build quality of an 80s Mercedes- unfortunately the last Checker Marathon left the factory almost forty years ago.

The problems associated with the transmission are part of the nature of an electronically shifted autobox- which is not to say other companies haven’t figured out how to do it without it being unreliable. If they had offered the six-speed manual here I would have taken it though.
I agree and lament that nobody offers anything so simple as a late 90's anything. But my point is, the Metris is supposed to be a commercial van. People buy these things for work, and things that don't show up for work get fired. On paper and behind the wheel, it's a fantastic vehicle that blows away all the alternatives. But no matter how sweet it is to drive, no matter how well it hauls stuff, no matter what a great value it is, it's just a ridiculously expensive tool shed if it won't shift out of park.

One of my admittedly faulty assumptions was that if I buy a new vehicle I will have less downtime for maintenance or repair. The service intervals for A and B were very attractive. Well, my Metris has now been at the dealer a total of FIFTY-FIVE DAYS :surprise: as of today, and they still have it. So I hope Mercedes is paying attention, because 1) my Metris turns heads both with clients and other contractors, and 2) what tradesman would buy one upon hearing 55+ days out of service in a year? (Oh, wait, that's me... I drank the kool-aid folks, as I'm waiting for a call back from customer care about a replacement rather than a refund!)

Too bad Nissan doesn't make something between the NV200 and NV2000. (And substantially more attractive to look at.)

Oh, and you'd better believe I'd take a Metris with three pedals on the floor. Paddle shifters just don't cut it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree and lament that nobody offers anything so simple as a late 90's anything. But my point is, the Metris is supposed to be a commercial van. People buy these things for work, and things that don't show up for work get fired. On paper and behind the wheel, it's a fantastic vehicle that blows away all the alternatives. But no matter how sweet it is to drive, no matter how well it hauls stuff, no matter what a great value it is, it's just a ridiculously expensive tool shed if it won't shift out of park.

One of my admittedly faulty assumptions was that if I buy a new vehicle I will have less downtime for maintenance or repair. The service intervals for A and B were very attractive. Well, my Metris has now been at the dealer a total of FIFTY-FIVE DAYS :surprise: as of today, and they still have it. So I hope Mercedes is paying attention, because 1) my Metris turns heads both with clients and other contractors, and 2) what tradesman would buy one upon hearing 55+ days out of service in a year? (Oh, wait, that's me... I drank the kool-aid folks, as I'm waiting for a call back from customer care about a replacement rather than a refund!)

Too bad Nissan doesn't make something between the NV200 and NV2000. (And substantially more attractive to look at.)

Oh, and you'd better believe I'd take a Metris with three pedals on the floor. Paddle shifters just don't cut it.
I could not agree more with your sentiments! Should my Metris prove to be unreliable, as yours has, it will be sent packing. It is my opinion that a sole proprietor contractor (my occupation) cannot afford unscheduled down time. All tools and vehicles require maintenance, but when they cost more than I consider appropriate, they are fired! 55 days out of service is more than I would tolerate for 10 years of ownership, that's 5.5 days per year, a fireable offense to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think at this point I’m glad I found this group! I’m sad to say I think I’m convinced to go with a “feels like driving a Ford”, Ford. I love the Metris, I drove both the MB and Ford. Night and day, of course. My heart wants the Metris to be the choice. I’ve never bought an American car/truck. However, I’ve been cursed by being used to nothing breaking ever and it always just working, like an iPhone. I drive a 2008 4Runner bought with 47k miles 6 years ago already 5 years old, now has 161k miles. I replaced a wheel bearing a few years ago, and that of course didn’t render it undriveable. That is all. The windshield wiper motor doesn’t break, the thing will always shift into drive, it’s never failed in any regard. When I do the crazy “buy a brand new car” thing, I feel like part of making that “some would say dumb” decision is that I get 5 years of not having to worry about ANYTHING besides changing the oil and maybe some tires. The brakes on this **** Toyota haven’t even started squeaking yet lol. I feel like you have to be a car guy who halfway enjoys sh*t breaking so they can “figure it out” to have one of these. I don’t find sh*t breaking all the time endearing. If there’s a tranny problem or something mechanical that was on a Friday afternoon van and out of spec and it fails that’s one thing, I know things fail occasionally, but I don’t have time to deal with stupid stuff like “the windshield wiper motor failed” and the little video game gear shifter fails. Really MB? I wanted to love you.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Lol. Welcome to the place everyone comes to complain about **** breaking. I bet if you find yourself on the Ford Transit forum you will find a bunch of people complaining about stuff breaking and a guy or two who has had excessive downtime.

I’m not saying that Mercedes are the worlds most reliable cars because, well, they aren’t. But, and I stress this, neither are Fords. You will have an easier time getting parts, and I suspect the bills will be smaller, and there are much fewer mechanics that refuse to work on Fords than refuse to work on Mercedes.

But let me tell you something buddy: if you are coming from a Toyota truck, the most reliable vehicle currently on the market, whatever you buy is gonna disappoint you. You’d probably have a better experience keeping that 4Runner than buying a new anything other than a Tacoma or 4Runner. Honest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know, I’m spoiled. When we went to Mexico on vacation they hauled us around in Toyota Hi Ace vans. The day I got back I started researching if I could go buy one there and drive it back. You can’t. I’m not a fanboy who does all kinds of mods and sh*t, I just like things that don’t leave me stranded. I also checked to see how long a bed and large a camper top I could get in a Tundra or Tacoma last night lol. I don’t think so, It’s gotta be a van. My nearest MB dealers are also 90 minutes north or south, so there’s that. True every other guy here can fix a Ford.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts