Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordering a van for family use. Worker edition would probably fit for our purposes, if not for lack of the above package.

We are worried about the rear a/c and heat performance, especially without rear sliding or opening windows. If anyone has any experience with the above package or with the van without it, please share.

Best,
Joe

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Actually, the climate isn’t particularly relavent, since your interest in the package means you will use your AC for more than defrosting.

What the package does is add a high-volume condenser that allows the A/C to function properly when the van is idling for extended periods of time. The standard A/C system is excellent when the van is being driven, it’ll blow ice cubes at you in 105 degree heat.

However if you idle for extended periods of time, say 15 minutes of pure idle, or 35 or so of bumper to bumper, the condenser begins to lose its ability to cool, and the A/C will eventually become pretty weak. This is because air is not being driven over the condenser to cool it. Likewise, the car will not cool down on a hot day until you start driving it- although a few minutes in it will be blowing ice cold.

The enhanced A/C has the ability to to generate cold air when the car is not moving, and thus will cool down in a parking lot, and will stay cool in extended idle situations.

If you do not find yourself sitting still in your car for extended periods on hot days, the enhancement is literally useless to you- remember, remote starts are not compatible with MB vehicles. It really is intended for livery services, who leave the car idling to cool down for customers.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Compared to a loaded worker Pax model (which has the multi-zone climate control) what you get is an additional heat exchanger (I dunno why I confused it with the condenser, but I hope you can tell that I was describing a heat exchanger) and the software to take advantage of it.

Thank god im not in Atlanta. I generally understand anyone who has a desire to leave NJ, but gosh, Atlanta...

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
I love it here after living all over. Just a touch hot in the summer, but sunny most of the year. I used to live in Cherry Hill NJ and Atlanta is 10x better. NJ has the worst property taxes. Thieves.

I have a 3yo. Pretty important to get the car to cool off quick after shopping etc. You can remote open the windows and vent. Wish you could remote start from the factory.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Having lived in central PA you don't have to get roasted to escape NJ. And the enhanced AC package does not cool the car down any faster assuming you don't potchka around in the parking lot. The best thing you can do with a 3yo is have some rachmones and get them home quickly.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Problem with PA is all the people from PA. :) I moved there from Chicago and the first things my coworkers asked me was "What high school did you go to?" I was in my 40's. I was very confused by the interest in my high school. I learned that this is the local way people find out if they can be friends. If they went to rival high schools they cannot be friends and at work they generally don't socialize.

Funny, the documentation for the option package is very specific that the enhanced AC does in fact cool the car down faster. Are you claiming that is a false statement from MB?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for responding.
We currently reside in Phila area, however would be taking the van up (Boston) and down (North Carolina) the coast as well Western PA and Ohio. A/C and heat are very important, as we have little kids.

I had a VW Eurovan a while back and it had a little heater just below the 2nd row pass sear. We lived in NE Ohio and it could get below 0 often. The van was very cold around the 3rd seat area. Now my wife is so cautious about these pseudo-European vans and their climate control. I know for the fact that in Europe and Scandinavia, they put an additional diesel powered heater in the back for some extra comfort. Obviously, not available in the US along with a diesel engine.
I am hoping that the above package will help with heat/cold and cabin moisture. Not sure if the standard heater is deficient.

Best,
Joe

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Problem with PA is all the people from PA. :) I moved there from Chicago and the first things my coworkers asked me was "What high school did you go to?" I was in my 40's. I was very confused by the interest in my high school. I learned that this is the local way people find out if they can be friends. If they went to rival high schools they cannot be friends and at work they generally don't socialize.

Funny, the documentation for the option package is very specific that the enhanced AC does in fact cool the car down faster. Are you claiming that is a false statement from MB?
Very much so. An additional heat exchanger will not raise the capacity of the systems airflow, nor its compressors.

The good thing about Central PA is the people. Fun, friendly, decent people who aren’t judge mental and go out of their way to be good neighbors. PA is a large state, perhaps you weren’t in the same area. I lived in northern Lancaster county, practically on the border of Berks.

The basic HVAC system is excellent in just about every situation except pre-warm-up idling (you need the electric heater booster, standard for ‘18- it’s a blast furnace almost immediately with it) and in long sitting isles on hot days (cured with the enhanced A/C system). My car has absolute base Pax model system- semi-automatic one-zone.

Disclaimer: I have a thyroid problem; I want to move to Churchill and snowbird to Winterpeg because of the climate, not in spite of it.

My main issue with the heater is getting it to blow small enough amounts of hot air in the winter to keep my wife (a native Floridian) warm without making me sphitz.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Very much so. An additional heat exchanger will not raise the capacity of the systems airflow, nor its compressors.
Really you are just guessing and making a statement based on your view of the world? Alter cocker, much? :)

METRIS 447 H09
AIR CONDITIONING, ENHANCED POWER
DETAILS & TECHNOLOGY
The interior can be cooled down to the desired temperature more rapidly with the enhanced output air conditioning system. This code adds an additional heat exchanger and modified control software to generate increased output from the automatic climate control. Recommended for hot climate regions or where there is a requirement
for increased cooling.
BENEFITS
More rapid cooling.
REMARKS
Requires code HH4.

Do you have something quantifiable that shows the MB option is false advertising? I mean if you are certain that the option doesn't do anything to increase cooling I think we have a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
I understand you have the standard AC. This is the additional unit that is installed in the read of the van with the option. You can honestly say with a straight face that an additional evaporator next to a passenger isn't going to cool down that location faster than trying to push air from the front of a hot van?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
There are 5 potential HVAC systems in the 2018 Metris:

1. Cargo Tempmatic: auto single zone temperature control, manual fan and direction, single A/C
2. Cargo Climatronic: dual zone, auto temperature, auto fan, auto direction, single A/C
3. Pax Tempmatic: auto single zone temperature control, manual fan and direction, dual A/C compressor, rear compressor manually deactivatable
4. Pax Climatronic: Three-zone auto temperature, fan, and direction, dual compressors, rear compressor separately controlled and deactivatable.
5. Pax Climatronic-Enhanced: Three-zone auto temperature, fan, and direction, dual compressors, rear compressor separately controlled and deactivatable, additional heat exchanger.

You get that rear A/C unit in any passenger van.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
There are 5 potential HVAC systems in the 2018 Metris:

1. Cargo Tempmatic: auto single zone temperature control, manual fan and direction, single A/C
2. Cargo Climatronic: dual zone, auto temperature, auto fan, auto direction, single A/C
3. Pax Tempmatic: auto single zone temperature control, manual fan and direction, dual A/C compressor, rear compressor manually deactivatable
4. Pax Climatronic: Three-zone auto temperature, fan, and direction, dual compressors, rear compressor separately controlled and deactivatable.
5. Pax Climatronic-Enhanced: Three-zone auto temperature, fan, and direction, dual compressors, rear compressor separately controlled and deactivatable, additional heat exchanger.

You get that rear A/C unit in any passenger van.
The enhanced option you posted is different than the others in that it includes an additional heat exchanger, No?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Yes, but an additional heat exchanger does not improve the power of the compressor, or the blower. Which you would need it to do in order to increase the systems actual spatial cooling capacity. The main limit for rear cooling capacity in the Metris is the blower, which moves a surprisingly limited volume of air.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Yes, but an additional heat exchanger does not improve the power of the compressor, or the blower. Which you would need it to do in order to increase the systems actual spatial cooling capacity. The main limit for rear cooling capacity in the Metris is the blower, which moves a surprisingly limited volume of air.
So what is the actual difference technical in the package?

From what I can tell there are differences in the evap core part in the front and expansion valve is different. This may be balancing the system differently and moving more to the rear or increasing output (assuming there is headroom on the compressor. I think you assume there is not). You may also have differences in the controller since it is climate controlled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts