Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Metris with 85,000 miles. Engine light came on and engine ran very rough- like it was only running on 3 cylinders or the ignition timing off. Pulled over, shut it off- started it back up and engine light was off and it ran fine.
Any ideas? It’s a little concerning to me- I hate surprises.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pulled over, shut it off- started it back up and engine light was off and it ran fine.
Welcome to Metris. The electrical control modules can be super flakey - "rebooting" them fixes it. My fuel controller often crashes about 30 seconds after starting and stalls the engine. Turn off ignition, wait, try again, and it's fine.

Twice, I've had the power steering controller stop while the van was in motion leaving me with no power assist. Pull over. Turn off ignition, pause, turn it back on, and the power steering controller works fine.

There are occasional traumatic electrical events that occur and cause one or more of the dozens of computerized controllers to crash. Power off the van, and restart to reboot 'em.

It's all **** annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a hardware/software solution available for less than a grand which would allow you go beyond generic OBD2 and read out the real actual fault codes on the various controllers, including the body and transmission modules? I'd be really surprised if the answer is "yes", but I guess there's no harm in asking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this problem while climbing a mountain in heavy pouring rain and towing. I got it off the highway and shut it off. Didn't have a bluetooth obdII device with me so I poked around under the hood. Started it back up in about 10 minutes and it was fine. After getting some barbeque I decided to try it back on the road; hasn't happened since. Someone suggested that an air intake filter took some moisture?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am guessing if this is happening in earlier models (2016....) that there are likely software updates available for the vehicle systems that could be flashed in by the dealer....

·
Registered
933 Posts
Seems you had a value out of spec so it went to "save components" mode. The key off just reset it all. Probably not an issue but an OBDii scanner is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Metris with 85,000 miles. Engine light came on and engine ran very rough- like it was only running on 3 cylinders or the ignition timing off. Pulled over, shut it off- started it back up and engine light was off and it ran fine.
Any ideas? It’s a little concerning to me- I hate surprises.
I had the same problem in a rental C-class, which has almost the same engine.

After a brief moment of wide-open throttle, it started sputtering and shaking like a Briggs & Stratton. Of necessity I drove it that way for several blocks and it wasn't getting any better.

Immediately after restart it was fine.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I’ve never got why that’s considered extremely dangerous; I’ve had vehicles Thatdidn’t have power steering to begin with. As long as the vehicle is moving at a reasonable speed, it is reasonably easy to steer it. Once you’ve gotten to the side of the road and stopped, it is of course quite hard, but by that point you’re out of the “dangerous” situation.

I am in no way justifying such a failure, btw.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gottlieb said:
it started sputtering and shaking like a Briggs & Stratton.
Something wasn't right with your Briggs & Stratton either.

I’ve never got why that’s considered extremely dangerous; I’ve had vehicles Thatdidn’t have power steering to begin with. As long as the vehicle is moving at a reasonable speed, it is reasonably easy to steer it.
And a broken escalator is merely an old fashioned staircase!

One big difference I notice bouncing back and forth between my Grand Caravan and Metris is how much easier it is to steer the Mattress. Makes me wonder how hard it is to steer when power steering isn't working... Aren't there cars on the road now that have 'steer by wire'? Those are probably the hardest.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mr Green wrote with respect to failed power steering on the Metris:
> I’ve never got why that’s considered extremely dangerous;

Mr Medley wrote:
> Makes me wonder how hard it is to steer when power steering isn't working...

I assure you, it’s quite difficult. I'm old enough to have driven cars designed without power steering, and despite Mr Green's comparison in his post, a vehicle with failed assist is nowhere near the same.

The effort simply to hold the wheel through a turn on the Metris with failed power steering was very significant. Fortunately both failures occurred on straight stretches of road. The error message on the console says “see owners manual”. The owner's manual advises that significantly more steering effort is required when the power steering has failed. Duh. When I turned off the road into a side street, I significantly overshot the turn even knowing the steering would be hard.

It takes a lot of force to steer without assist. If it had failed in a sweeping turn, I'm sure I would not have been able to react fast enough to prevent running off the road, or worse, swinging wide into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had this happen to me last night. Not towing, but was raining. I was a few miles from home after an almost 600 mile drive...much of which was at 75-80 mph. Van has 87,000 miles and just changed spark plugs 1000 miles ago. It was dark and raining so I pulled over, restarted and all was well. Here were codes that showed up this AM:

------------------
B2AAA: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

It was pretty obvious there was a misfire as it seemed like it was running on three cylinders. Hoping it doesn't happen again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts