Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine failed about 12 days after warranty dealer/mercedes canada not willing to help me out at all so Im looking at putting a new engine in and exploring the option of getting a diesel. Mercedes canada wants 22k for a rebuilt metris engine and installation so obviously not going to go that route.

Where would i start researching how to swap the diesel in? Would i just compare the van with the comparable RWD vclass/vito model on the mercedes wis program and see what parts are different?

Does anyone know if anyone has done this conversion yet? I found a shop that said they can do a DPF/ad blue delete for the euro diesel so that would at least eliminate a few things needed.

Im hoping i would just need the long block, computer, intercooler mounting and maybe gas tank.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That sounds really unusual that a complete engine failure just outside warranty would be snubbed by MB. They would most likely give a significant amount of goodwill towards the cost.

How many miles when it failed? What was the cause of failure? Are you the original owner?

Getting a metris converted to diesel is next to impossible. All parts (especially computer modules) are SCN coded to the car. No reputable shop is going to do that for you. Not to mention importing an engine not certified for emissions may also be illegal (if you can even find one). Plus no dealer (or many shops) will ever touch it if its a franken car. The diesel used in the Vito is not some simple engine, its a fully complex modern CDI....often the OM651 like I have in my GLK. A swap like this would likely present great challenge even to a seasoned MB tech.

Why not just look for a used M274 if it came down to it? That engine is used in many MB's, and I'm sure there's even used metris ones out there at this point from wrecked vehicles. Depending what failed parts are readily available in North America for that engine.

Reactions: river

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds really unusual that a complete engine failure just outside warranty would be snubbed by MB. They would most likely give a significant amount of goodwill towards the cost.

How many miles when it failed? What was the cause of failure? Are you the original owner?

Getting a metris converted to diesel is next to impossible. All parts (especially computer modules) are SCN coded to the car. No reputable shop is going to do that for you. Not to mention importing an engine not certified for emissions may also be illegal (if you can even find one). Plus no dealer (or many shops) will ever touch it if its a franken car. The diesel used in the Vito is not some simple engine, its a fully complex modern CDI....often the OM651 like I have in my GLK. A swap like this would likely present great challenge even to a seasoned MB tech.

Why not just look for a used M274 if it came down to it? That engine is used in many MB's, and I'm sure there's even used metris ones out there at this point from wrecked vehicles. Depending what failed parts are readily available in North America for that engine.
Im the second owner purchased it with 19000 miles. Im in canada but i purchased the vehicle in the US. I had the vehicle into my local mercedes dealer for the crank case vent which i had replaced under warranty in america but i could not go back across the border due to covid to have the american dealer fix it. I took my vehicle into my local mercedes dealer paid them 2800 dollars they did the crank case vent wife picked up the vehicle said it felt funny took it back to them the next day they looked it over with their shop foreman said it was running perfect gave it back to her and 30km later engine was dead.

Low compression on 2 cylinders and metal shavings in the oil filter. They dont know what caused it but they know 100% they didnt cause it. Talked to the general manager they basicaly said wont do anything for me asked me if i wanted to buy another one. (Obviously i dont) then a sales men contacted me trying to selling a 2015 Honda Pilot. Bugged them for a quote for repair they came back at me with 22,000 to fix it after a week.

They gave me a rental car for a few days for free which was nice. Returned the car with her wallet in the glove box, wallet stolen of course. (Just waiting for the identity theft now).

Contacted Mercedes Canada they said its an american vehicle and that they cant do anything. Cant even give me a contact number for someone to talk to in america. I call the american 1800 number they tell me to take it to an american dealer. Contact my american dealer they tell me why dont I sue the canadian dealer and asks me what kind of dealership hands a customer a car back that fails 15 miles out the door.

The vehicle was around 60 thousand km and a few weeks out of warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As another poster covered conversion to a diesel engine is really out of the question.

If you want to get the van back on the road and do not want to face the expense of a replacement engine -- and who can blame you given what you were quoted -- sourcing an engine from a wrecked Metris is probably your best bet. You want a van which did not suffer a front end collision. Also you want to avoid any vehicle which has been flooded.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Before you give up...check to see if you're falls in the range of the undersized piston wrist pins. There were some engines....more on the car side using this same engine that the vendor that makes the wrist pins sent some that were under spec. It causes piston slap and eventually kills compression and then the piston. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ve up...check to see if you're falls in the range of the undersized piston wrist pins. There were some engines....more on the car side using this same engine that the vendor that makes the wrist pins sent some that were under spec. It causes piston slap and eventually kills compression and then the piston. Good luck
Thanks, do you have any information related to this or a link?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts