Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have a 2016 passenger van that I purchased used. It's a little beat up but run really well. It has a little under 30K miles on it.

Lately I have had a situation where the engine doesn't start the first or even 2nd time. I turn the key and nothing happens. The engine doesn't even turn. After a little wait it starts fine.

I also read the posts here about batteries. I only have one battery and it's under the passenger seat - under the driver seat there are cables but no battery. (my van is equipped with start/stop - but it doesn't really stop that often).

Any ideas?

Could the two be related?

Thanks,
Jakob

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've replaced 1 starter, so a bad starter is possible. Otherwise, I'd have to do testing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Rather than starter, I'd assume this is fuel related like so many other issues.

When I turn the key, there’s often a perceptible pause as the fuel pumps pressurize the fuel delivery system (tank to high pressure injector pump)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the starter isn’t engaging because the fuel pressure is slow to come up to acceptable level.

Just wild speculation since the fuel system on the North American Metris (as opposed to the various engine, fuel, transmission variations on the otherwise similar Vito elsewhere in the world). While our engine/transmissions may be marvels of engineering, some high school student designed the fuel system around them to put them into a Metris.

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I have sometimes had times when the ignition switch being turned to start does absolutely nothing. Subsequent turns from run to start will do nothing. Once in a while when that happens it won’t start on the second full turn. I suspected it was a key issue, as the car will behave in that way if you insert the wrong MB key or a Chrysler key using the same Huf system.

However it ALWAYS started by the third full turn of the ignition and it happens once in a blue moon to begin with. Being impossible to replicate at will, it’s kind of pointless to mention it to the dealer.

I put an alcohol soaked q-tip (A cheap Russian sounding domestic vodka my wife uses for cleaning houses) onto the ignition slot on the dash, and did the same to the panel on the key. That was a few months ago; the problem has not recurred since that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

I took it to the dealer and they thought it would be a key issue. When you insert the key in a metris you hear a 'ding' sound. If you don't hear the 'ding' the key isn't registered and the van will not start. I don't remember if I got the 'ding' sound but I will listen for it now. I ordered a new key as i only have one now. it was $213.44 - its a steal .... maybe.
I will try the vodka trick :) As a Dane I may use Akvavit ...

Thanks again guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts