Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I forget to disengage my emergency break I am still able to pull away like if it was never applied. Is this normal anyone else with the same feeling? In my Jeep it won’t move until the break is disengage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean to kick you while you are down, but calling it an "emergency" brake is a misnomer. It is really just a parking brake and as such it only really works in reverse. I guess that in an emergency it would be better than nothing, but just barely. Get your van going at 30-40 mph and step on the "emergency" brake, I think it might surprise you how little it does.
Well if it not doing anything at 3 mph 30-40 I don’t even think the light or sound would engage hahaha. Maybe your right it might work better if the van is in reverse maybe one day I’ll forget it on see what happens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well if it not doing anything at 3 mph 30-40 I don’t even think the light or sound would engage hahaha. Maybe your right it might work better if the van is in reverse maybe one day I’ll forget it on see what happens.
A parking brake should be able to hold a car stationary on the steepest street in San Francisco whether pointed uphill or downhill. Otherwise it's defective or misadjusted. I have experienced several new cars that couldn't pass this test, but all of them could after adjustment. There's probably a star adjuster you can turn until the P-brake shoes are nearly dragging; some manufacturers leave them set back a mile from the drum.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I forget to disengage my emergency break I am still able to pull away like if it was never applied. Is this normal anyone else with the same feeling? In my Jeep it won’t move until the break is disengage.
My other vehicles automatically disengage the parking brake, so I sometimes forget in the Metris. Yes, mine pulls away as if the brake was never released. Fortunately, there is a red warning message on the display between the tach and speedo.

Like you, it doesn't fill me with confidence that the parking brake actually does much.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I can feel a bit of drag when I pull away unreleased; like as if the van was fully loaded even though it is empty.

It is an emergency and parking brake, but it is not an emergancy service brake. If your brakes were to go out in a non panic situation, you can use it to stop the car- just downshift safely into low, with your foot off the gas; as you get to a lowish speed (5-10) you can use the brake to slow and stop the vehicle; this is especially important on grades where engine/transmission braking might not be enough.

I would not suggest using it to try and stop from speeds much higher than 5-10 tho.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not going to try and apply the emergency break while drive at 40mph. I always see the red warning message and that’s when I disengage it. On some new cars where they have the electronic parking break “ push button break” it will disengage automatically when the car starts to pull away. My Jeep has a push pedal like our vans but it won’t move for nothing if it’s not disengage. I’m not too concerned with it I’m in NYC we don’t have hills like San Francisco just wanted to see if anyone has the same experience as I’m having. Sometimes I just apply the break when I feel the ground isn’t level witch it probably doesn’t make a difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wasn’t banging on ya Sadragna...went on a tirade a while back when I couldn’t edit/add to a previous post. I find it STUPID that there is a 10 minute window to edit one’s own posts. This idiotic rule should be lifted.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wasn’t banging on ya Sadragna...went on a tirade a while back when I couldn’t edit/add to a previous post. I find it STUPID that there is a 10 minute window to edit one’s own posts. This idiotic rule should be lifted.
It’s all good. I was joking about making it to second grade I made it all the way to fifth. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
If only we had moderators too!
I messaged the admin about it. I heard 0 back.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well now another issue with the van. I Park my van on an incline put it in neutral apply the parking brake let go of the foot brake and the van rolled like nothing was holding it down or back.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back the van. I mentioned the emergency brake service advisor told me that the technician look at it and said it is “electric parking brake wont engage unless the vehicle is in park”. So when the vehicle is in drive it disengage even tho the peddle is pressed. Anyone heard anything like this.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not true. I remember reading the OM about how when in Drive or Reverse the electric parking brake would disengage automatically, and when turning the van off it would engage when in Parking. I have noticed this is true, however I try not to use this feature much, especially engaging it. I always (well about 95% of the time) put it in Neutral while braking, engage the parking brake, release my foot from the brake, wait for it to move a tad to ensure the parking brake is doing its job, then put the transmission in Parking. (To start it over I press the brake, move trasmission out of Parking into either Drive or reverse, then release the parking brake before moving) This way you never hear/feel the classig click out of Parking. Thatr being said I have never noticed it auto realeasing the parking brake unless I start accelerating.

I know my van is different, but this part of it should behave exactly as yours.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dammit Dichter. Stop filling these guys heads with dreams of being first class MB owners!

Sad, your advisor is an idiot (or liar). We (not Dichter) have cable operated E-brakes. When its engaged, it should be engaged. I'd ask him to point out the electrical part of it :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dammit Dichter. Stop filling these guys heads with dreams of being first class MB owners!

Sad, your advisor is an idiot (or liar). We (not Dichter) have cable operated E-brakes. When its engaged, it should be engaged. I'd ask him to point out the electrical part of it :p
Maybe he ment the loner I got has the electric parking brake hahaha

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will let them know when I bring it in to replace the windshield washer system. I never had a vehicle with this many problems before.

With all the problems you've had I'm surprised there isn't even one entry in the Poll on Cargo vs Passenger Problem Frequency indicating Serious problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts