Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Electrical issues (video)

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RansomRidge 
#1 ·
Van randomly died, intermittent electrical glitches (see video), but also periods of completely dead. I charged the battery and it made no difference. Going to the shop tomorrow but wanted to post here in case someone could shed light

2016 Metris 85k

#2 ·
Van randomly died, intermittent electrical glitches (see video), but also periods of completely dead. I charged the battery and it made no difference. Going to the shop tomorrow but wanted to post here in case someone could shed light

2016 Metris 85k
Most of the time, electrical freakouts like that are caused by excessive voltage drop as components power on, which makes the computer brown out, which causes everything to turn off, which restores sufficient voltage to restart the computer, which then powers the components on again, which causes voltage drop, and the cycle continues.

Usually it's a bad battery, but it could also be a loose battery terminal or other bad connection.

I wouldn't rule out the battery. At 85K miles and 6 years, it may be unable to hold a charge. You could have it load tested, or just get it replaced.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delayed response, been a bit under the weather.

Upon further inspection, I discovered the positive terminal cable was chewed up, exposing the wires. The positive cable was installed incorrectly leading to it rubbing against the inner battery compartment.
I taped it up nicely and got a new battery, the van instantly started up. Crisis seemingly averted.

However, I did have to fashion a wood shim to take up the space in the battery compartment due to the replacement being shorter than the OEM battery.

Thanks again everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.