Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Electric is probably more likely than diesel but still probably a couple model years away I'd guess. We seem to be on a 2-4 year delay from what Europe/other countries get.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Even if they brought it over here I’m not sure how many folk would buy them. I would think for most of us on this forum (I am obviously making assumptions) >200 mile range just isn’t going to be good enough. I know that it will probably work for 70% of the time but it is the versatility of these vans that I really like the best.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It depends what you do with them. If you do film work in widely varied locations, electric wouldn’t work most likely. I use mine for a cleaning business and our longest days are 120 miles and most are well under 50. If I didn’t also use it for my personal vehicle and drive it all over **** and damnation I’d be seriously interested in an electric option.

i know a guy who uses it for his handyman business in conjunction with a 20 year old Ford box truck he uses for heavy duty work (e.g. installing a new boiler or large loads of 12ft lumber). Electric would be awesome for him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That is precisely my point, though. For the majority of my day to day activities electric would be fantastic, but yesterday I drove 900 miles and today I drove 900 more. Some days I use it to transport one person, some days I use it to transport a full load of 8. Some days it runs empty with no seats or cargo and other days it has been so full of cargo that the suspension was totally bottomed out (Front and back).
I love the idea of electric, but I can’t help but feel like the carrying capacities would suffer. The range can be overcome once the charging networks are a little more robust, but a 45-60 min fill up is quite a bit less convenient. Though, it is probably better for everyone involved.
I guess what I am saying is, that a 2-4 year delay is not such a bad thing in this case. Maybe the technology will be to a more acceptable level by then.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Electric would probably do me for 90% of my needs. but then, I still have my old (2010) ford 350 van which uses twice as much gas as the metris but is useful if I have a couple of skids of stuff to move. I could use it for long trips as it usually involves pulling the trailer and hauling a bunch of dogs. My metris does this now, but an electric one might be less suitable. If I didn't have the ford, I guess I could rent something for the occasional long trip. It might come to less than maintaining and insuring the ford.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The electric one is also (currently) only front wheel drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts