Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is dumb and hard. However, I generally do dumb and hard stuff. Does anyone have any tech documentation of experience in the wiring harnesses of Metris vans in terms of adding check box features? I was thinking about buying a wrecked copart van with a trailer hitch and electric doors to swap some of that in. I've be thwarted before by factory harnesses that are all custom to the packages, which makes this sort of thing next to impossible without reassembling your whole interior. Anyways, just a thought.

Also, thinking about a multi-fuction steering wheel. I just bought a 2016 with the Explorer conversion and the midtop roof.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
Unless you really want to sit behind the wheel and open the door for someone else, don't bother.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been casually looking at new, local passenger Metris vans on Autotrader for a while. I can't recall seeing any without the power sliders. I certainly would NOT want the power sliders.Possible I've mssed a few I guess.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree that trying to Frankenstein power sliders into your van is probably not a good idea. Even for a cargo van power sliders may not be a great idea, but for a passenger van they are the bees knees!

·
Registered
132 Posts
That’s funny stuff! I have heard that some owners have had problems. I have the power sliders, and I have kids that beat crap out of everything I own, and so far I’ve been really happy with the power sliders.

But, my opinion on power doors is not what this thread is about. The bottom line is that Frankensteining power doors is not advisable. You would come out way ahead to sell your van and find one with the features that you want to have. Gone are the days of cut and paste upgrades.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, Firemancjr, don't take this personally, but you're not living on my planet. Selling a car now is almost impossible. Finding a Metris with
the desired equipment is equally difficult. I'd really like to sell my
nice little Promaster City conversion (sleeps 2) to be able to upgrade to
a Metris with a pop-top, to sleep 3. The reason gas costs $1.75 in CO,
at least, is that no one is travelling. Campgrounds may open, or they
may not. That leaves backcountry camping, which is O.K., but may
not be the most scenic spots, etc. It's hard to find any Metris, much less
one used, with proper equipment. If you're sitting around waiting not
to get sick, it might be worth trying to find a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don’t worry, I don’t think people on this forum are that thin skinned. I totally get where you are coming from, and if it were that easy I would say “go for it”. However, it is very difficult to add to canbus vehicles. It requires a proprietary computer interface to reprogram the factory parameters to include the upgrades you have added, sometimes requiring that the VIN be double checked with the manufacturer database to see if that feature was even available on your vehicle when it was made. These computer systems are often in the tens of thousands of dollars for dealerships to purchase. I suppose you could find a friend at a dealership who might be willing to risk their job to help you with your project... but you’re definitely on their schedule for that. As I said before, gone are the days of cut and paste upgrades. It is not as simple as wiring in to the existing harness.

However, with all that being said, if someone wanted to wire the motors and actuators in as a separate system (independent of any computer controls) then that might be doable. They are just 12v motors, actuators, and switches after all.

I would actually love to see this project succeed. I still think it’s a pretty bad idea, but I don’t mind being proven wrong and would love to see this succeed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Two years in, many thousands of opening and closings in all weather conditions....no problems with my electric doors at all. VERY handy with kids....and safer. I don't know if I'd venture into adding it to one without though, thats a lot of parts and changes to tackle.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If I didn't have little kids getting in and out of it all the time I'd have regular manual doors too. These doors are huge, your average under 10 year old isn't really going to be able to close them (or open) which is a huge pain especially in things like school pickup lines. Considering it has just about no other features (not even heated seats) I'll enjoy the power doors. :D If they break I'll fix them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts