Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 2016 worker cargo with the accessory battery under the driver's seat and the EK1 box near the passenger feet area.

I want to install electrical outlets in the back.

Can anyone tell me or have pictures of where to attach, and what to attach?

From this forum it looks like I'll be connecting 4 wires to the EK1 (exactly where I don't know), run them under the passenger step and up the column to an inverter (anybody have a model suggestion?).

I think I'd only need a fuse box if I was going to connect an inverter directly to the battery.

I'd rather not invent or experiment. Maybe you've already done this and can share?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
First thing you'll want to do is determine your power consumption needs. Average Amp/hours (Ah) per day or week is a good start. What are you trying to power? You said 'electrical outlets', I assume you mean AC outlets. Do you have the aux (second) battery option?
I haven't done this, but I'm doing it now. I've receive member requests to post my build so once I'm in full speed ahead I will have a build write-up thread here soon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
House Batteries and Body Builder

I originally had the EK1 (footwell of the passenger compartment) connected to my house lights but realized that this was running off the main battery not the Aux one (under the drivers seat).

I decided upon 2 Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 125ah wired in parallel and connected to a charger.
Be careful as if you try to charge "unauthorized" batteries you risk your warranty.

I run my fan and house lights with this setup as well as some aux devices. I have a 3000W inverter connected to these batteries.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We don't have a converter, but we did run wires to the back for a fan, lights, usb charging outlets, etc. The guys who did most of the work on our van ran the wires under the passenger step and then up the column behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We don't have a converter, but we did run wires to the back for a fan, lights, usb charging outlets, etc. The guys who did most of the work on our van ran the wires under the passenger step and then up the column behind the passenger seat.
This is exactly where I ran mine.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unauthorized charging

Do explain further. The dealer told you this? what's unauthorized?
Dealer.

The onboard charging system is warranted to charge onlt the factory spec auz battery. Hook it up to anything larger and they will fight with you if your charging system goes woky.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dealer.

The onboard charging system is warranted to charge onlt the factory spec auz battery. Hook it up to anything larger and they will fight with you if your charging system goes woky.
Hmm, I'd take that to a higher-up...doesn't sound all that right when the MBVans Upfit manual specifically states that the charging system can have one additional battery (doesn't say anything about only the factory aux battery only), it goes on further to say any more batteries after that (2nd aux battery or more) then it must have hardware inline to limit current draw to 40 amps.

They might 'fight' it over a passenger vehicle, but our local MB authorized upfitter said he can do up to 400 Ah battery bank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MOWO,

I'm very interested in knowing how your going to tap into the EK1 connection under the passenger footwell.

I do have the accessory battery under the driver seat.

I was referred to an upfitter by Mercedes and don't think I received good advice.

The owner of the shop said he didn't know what the EK1 bodybuilder connector was under the passenger footwell and wouldn't use it. He'd sell me an inverter for $600 and install it for $300 connected directly to the accessory battery.

I asked him if he had any connections with people to figure out how to use the bodybuilder connection and basically told me to call Mercedes and good luck.

I was told this company is who Mercedes refers customers to, but the owner didn't even know where the batteries were located (under the seats instead of under the hood).

I'm not planning on powering much, a small refrigerator, a cell phone, some drill batteries. I really just want the convenience of charging something on the road and have always hot AC connections.

I'd rather not drain the starter battery.

Anyone have a recommendation to a knowledgeable shop in the bay area or northern California?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The EK1 is fed by the starter battery so your plan to connect accessories to it without draining your starter battery is a dead end.

Attached is an image showing the EK1 connection points.

Terminal 15 = Switched on with ignition
Terminal 30 = Always hot
Terminal 61 = Switched on with engine running.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks for that Braddo. I have access to all these diagrams, but its not easy to find.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks MOWO,

I'm very interested in knowing how your going to tap into the EK1 connection under the passenger footwell.
I don't have the EK1 connection. My battery bank will be separated by a DC-DC charger, so only connection to the Metris electrical will be + and - cables from the starter battery. As of right now, I don't need anything ignition-switched.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts