Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some great insight.

I'd order it just to fill up that blank space on the center dash row of buttons.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You are listening to that guy? He is basically extraordinary ignorance laced with vitriol.
No, I made up my mind that I didn't want it. Long before, i seen his video or any other video "bagging" eco-start stop and do you really think the manufacturer cares if our vehicles outlasts the extended warranty period? I don't! And by the way I hope this forum becomes more of a knowledge base of repair information as our vehicle's age and start to have problems instead of a "take it to the dealer" type forum. What good is that?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Its a menace.

There is no acceptable way to permanently disable it once it infects your vehicle. Not having it was my first equipment priority.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If you don't like start stop, I understand that- totally a matter of preference. That guy though, is a poor attempt at a comedy act that he loads with "facts" most of which are hogwash.

Mercedes Benz engineers their cars to last for as long as you are willing to pay to repair them. (That different than many manufacturers, whose cars wear out in unrepairable ways). They do this so that they make a lot of money on the repairs over time. Most electronic features in a Mercedes fail safe- meaning you lose the feature, but the car is still drivable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually, the video was quite balanced. A little heated rhetoric in the beginning to get people interested quickly gave way to a balanced explanation as to why wear and tear was not really an issue. You should watch it all the way through.

For my part, the Eco Start made the driving experience deplorable. Vibration and jerking at every stop, which, in rush hour traffic can be dozens of starts. And, the delay from foot off the brake to take off my be measured in milliseconds, but feels noticeable and irritating. I had a C Class with Eco Start for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, chalk me up at one who like the Eco S/S. To whomever said you can't disable it, yes you can. button right on the dash. Don't want to on/off all the time? Applying just enough pressure on the brake to keep the vehicle from moving keeps the engine on. If I need to take off quickly from a light I just lift off the brake some to 'start' or I don't press the brake as far as it goes and keep it on the whole time.

Who wouldn't enjoy saving fuel and engine wear when sitting in traffic or any stop for 30 sec+ at a time. Plus it gives the van an 'electric hybrid' type of feel ... which many unknowingly passengers have commented.

To the 'another feature to break' crowd. In today's multi-electronic laden vehicles with 1,000s of systems working harmoniously, I find quibbling over this type of engine system feature quite misguided. I'd be more concerned with the Park Assist or collision/blind spot system amongst others.

Reactions: redlightning

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Actually, the video was quite balanced. A little heated rhetoric in the beginning to get people interested quickly gave way to a balanced explanation as to why wear and tear was not really an issue. You should watch it all the way through.

For my part, the Eco Start made the driving experience deplorable. Vibration and jerking at every stop, which, in rush hour traffic can be dozens of starts. And, the delay from foot off the brake to take off my be measured in milliseconds, but feels noticeable and irritating. I had a C Class with Eco Start for a couple of weeks.
The system, as I said, is a matter of preference. I mostly like it.

I didn't watch the video because after a string of sexist, racist, and anti Semitic comments on several of his other videos, I decided that I'd rather watch a concert of fingernailists on a chalk board. Valuing anything he in particular says is a poor idea, irrespective of the subject

·
Registered
292 Posts
A lot depends on your driving conditions. Obviously with more start/stop city driving you'd get more value from it. There is a rather long list of parameters that need to be met before it engages. I think its rather clunky compared to the system on a Prius- and I've got an older gen 2 Prius (2005).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sliding doors, there's your "it's gonna break"...
No doubt. It is handy if you are commonly carrying passengers who would require assistance (elderly, children, injured). Something to consider would be the all inclusive extended warranty to cover that breakdown.

On our B200s, the lamella sunroof is such a trap that when fails, it cannot be repaired, only replaced. Seen quotes from $4000 - $6000.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Sliding doors? Or power sliding doors?

Actually, my grandmother (91, bless her) prefers the front seat. My other grandparents were all dead over 20 years ago.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took it as power sliding doors as something breaking.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts