Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a Metris cargo in Miami yesterday, it's a great van. There are a few things I hope Mercedes will change before I retire my 2004 GMC Safari cargo...
1) The side mirrors are way too small...the salesman told me he thought they were inadequate and hoped they will be updated. The mirrors on my GMC are slightly taller and maybe a couple inches longer...I've never had a problem with them.
2) No option for three seats in the front or removeable row of seats in the back (on cargo version). I know the Ram Promaster offers three passenger seating in the front, why can't this be an option on Metris? I absolutely need three seats...
3) No Sirius/XM...you'd think if this vehicle is going to be used by people who spend a lot of time on the road they'd offer satellite radio.
The van is basically the same size as my Safari (about 13 inches longer) and feels like it's got similar acceleration (195 hp vs. 202 hp). Steering and braking are wonderful, slick dashboard and steering wheel. It's been a long time since I've driven a new car, the key was really interesting!
I took some photos of the vehicles side by side, will try to post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is my 2004 GMC Safari with 2015 Metris. Pretty much same height and width. Metris is about 13 inches longer, rear suspension is slightly lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I do not know why they do not offer the twin co driver seat in our market. It is available in Europe, and I assume it could be retrofitted.

I put convex mirrors on my truck, and it did the trick for me. I do agree it is not the best design. It would have taken a lot for me to consider a non-Mercedes product, admittedly. The Sprinter 144 can be had with a twin co-driver seat, has much better mirrors, and gets superior fuel economy with the four cylinder. Admittedly it is larger and less maneuverable (but not perceptibly slower) and $7k more expensive. Depending on how many miles you drive, it's better fuel economy might make it worth it. Also, keep in mind the Ram Promaster is a Sprinter class van, not Metris sized. FWD makes me shudder, but most people think I'm crazy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm... I hadn't considered this before but it does seem like an oversight. I bet there are ways to do it, it's just not offered by Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the Sirius omission complaints on this van. This van can play any music you want it to from your phone via usb or Bluetooth, USB thumb drive, media player, standard audio jack, or SD memory card. I personally have some 3500 songs of my liking on my phone. I can't imagine why I would wish to not only pay extra money for a pointless machine, but also pay a monthly fee for it. My guess is that the planners who decided to do this couldn't imagine it either.

I took delivery of my truck on October 27th. As of this moment I have 5236 miles on my Metris. I have not gotten bored of my music selections yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the audio line in jack, definitely a good thing. I do like satellite radio, but can live without.
The third front passenger seat or removeable "jump" seat in the back is more important to me. The dealer told me that many people and businesses have also inquired about that option. He told me that MB may have over-simplified some aspects of this van.
I really did love driving it though, extremely smooth ride and classy look.
Looked at the Promaster too, but the low roof model won't fit under my house...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts