Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Does anyone knows if the driveshaft is sealed? Being a former FedEx contractor greasing the driveshaft on my trucks was part of the preventive maintenance so there were no surprises. Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Which part of the driveshaft you are looking to maintain. Nothing to grease. Are you referring to a shaft yoke? There is a rubber torque plate that you replace when it wears out I believe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't got the chance to lift the van up to see. I am talking about the greasing fittings like the picture

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way this is just a random picture to show what I'm talking about. Thank you.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I haven’t checked under there, but by feel, I would guess that the Metris might well use a flex-disc rather than a U-joint. That has long been standard practice on MB cars. The flex-disc requires no service during its operational life, but needs to be replaced due to age and wear periodically.

The Sprinter and Metris are fundamentally different; a Metris is a (heavily) beefed up car, more or less- fully independent coil sprung suspension. A Sprinter is basically a box-Truck (Independent front, solid axle rear, both riding on leaf springs) with a unitary body fitted.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My Metris Passenger has a two-piece propshaft with a giubo at either end, and a center bearing suspended in rubber. There is no U-joint, and nothing apparent to grease.

Some diagrams depict a U-joint adjacent to the center bearing, but my van doesn't have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts