Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a speeding ticket 98MPH I've been driving slow to avoid another one. In the last 2 trips, around 200M round trip, I tried at 55 - 60MPH and the MPG was from ~17MPG up to ~30MPG: save lot of gas while prices are on the way up. Not sure how long I can drive like that though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
After getting a speeding ticket 98MPH I've been driving slow to avoid another one. In the last 2 trips, around 200M round trip, I tried at 55 - 60MPH and the MPG was from ~17MPG up to ~30MPG: save lot of gas while prices are on the way up. Not sure how long I can drive like that though.
Just out of curiosity (since it's none of my business) - how much was the speeding fine?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just out of curiosity (since it's none of my business) - how much was the speeding fine?
I don't know yet. It was on the way back from Vegas at Barstow and I talked him to reduce the speed because it was long way downhill on 15 freeway. He was nice and I'm not that young for speeding, also it's a family van: he wrote down 15 over speed limit. I was hoping he let me go with a warning but ... It was my first speeding ticket for over 10 years.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was once caught doing 93 on Ohio's Turnmpike 65mph limit. The guy was extremely friendly and let me go with just the ticket @ $130. At the end I thought "What a D... He was all nice and still gave me the ticket" Later I was told, that especially in OH, that should have been reckless driving so I was very lucky to just got the ticket. I happily paid the $130 after knowing that! LOL

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speed limit there is 70? 28 mph over :eek: Sounds like something my wife would do:D
I see lot of people driving around 90MPH. But it was a long 12 miles down grade in the dessert I think 98 is not that bad. Last year I once tried to go head to head with a BMW 5 series also on 15 dessert area at 142MPH but chickened out to let him go. Of course it's not in the Metris 101 club, it was in E350. You gotta love German luxury cars when taking them over 120MPH: no speed limit in Germany.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was caught doing 110mph in a 30mph zone. I was young got shot kid at the time so when the cop came to my window I whipped out all my police cards in the end they took away car and I had to cab it where I was going.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Totally agree with going slow increases MPGs. I just came back from from FL, which is a 800 mile trip for me. Two motorcycles in the back and all of the track gear with my humongous Yakima box on the roof. Going to FL doing 80mph, I reached 22.7mpg according to the Metris dash. On the way back, I decided to slow down since I wasn't in a rush. I went 64mph when the speed limit wasn't 55. It jumped to 28.1 mpg on the dash. I'm sure it would have increased more if I went 60mph, but that just seemed dangerous when everyone was going 70+.

On another note, the Metris calculated MPG on the dash is not correct. Though it said 28mpg, it was really 26.3 when I did the calculations myself. I am really surprised by how off it was. A couple of points is understandable, but almost 2mpg is worrisome. Now I'm wondering what numbers it uses to calculate MPG. I drove for almost 4 hours which was more than enough time for the MPGs to settle and average out.

Reactions: DerDichter

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
271 Posts
I noticed the other day that compared to my GPS, (Which I assume is reasonably accurate - it measures distance within a few feet and the time is very accurate) that my speedometer was overestimating my speed by about 5-6% (i.e., when the Gps said 100 kph, the speedometer said 105.
I was wondering if it was due to the the tires which might have had a smaller circumference and would therefor turn faster, or if the car's calculation of distance is out (measurement of time can't be that bad). In either case, does it mean that the odometer is also an overestimate which means that in reality our service intervals and warranty are therefore shorter?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$237.

Got it Friday and went to traffic school Saturday: 237 + 60 = 297. I can't make out the writing on the ticket's copy but I'm sure it's less than 85MPH (actual 98MPH) from the info of the class. The guy next to me with 88MPH paid ~$400 total. And I was lucky he didn't give me another fine of $50 (used to be $25) for not having the tag on my license plate, info is also from class. Like I posted the officer was nice and when treating him right he did the same back: he's still human.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I noticed the other day that compared to my GPS, (Which I assume is reasonably accurate - it measures distance within a few feet and the time is very accurate) that my speedometer was overestimating my speed by about 5-6% (i.e., when the Gps said 100 kph, the speedometer said 105.
I was wondering if it was due to the the tires which might have had a smaller circumference and would therefor turn faster, or if the car's calculation of distance is out (measurement of time can't be that bad). In either case, does it mean that the odometer is also an overestimate which means that in reality our service intervals and warranty are therefore shorter?
Mine is in complete agreement with my speedo.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
271 Posts
Went for a drive today over a measured 60km with cruise on 93kph where traffic permitted. GPS said 90kph (lower as before) but both metris and GPS measured 60.0km so the distance is dead on. I guess I'll have to find a good place to time a measured distance to see which speed is right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My speedometer matches my phone GPS and the city speed measurement sign in my neighborhood. I think I saw, when reading my owner's manual, that it is easy to adjust for tire size. It was probably in the section (p. 174ish?) about how to choose to display speed digitally instead of miles. I had a problem looking at the middle of the instrument cluster and seeing 85 when I was in a 55 mph zone. Then I realized that was my mileage, not my speed. Now, I display speed, it's more important than miles. 😀. Anyway, look in the manual if your tire size changes, it's easy to fix if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
271 Posts
Interesting, I'll have a look but if the mileage was right on, the tire size must have been OK.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am surprised how well this van drives at 90-95 mph. I was out in Utah and middle of nowhere...straight road, no traffic...I was doing 85 in a 80 zone. This lady passes me so tag alone with her for 20-30 miles at 95. Very stable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
$237.

Got it Friday and went to traffic school Saturday: 237 + 60 = 297. I can't make out the writing on the ticket's copy but I'm sure it's less than 85MPH (actual 98MPH) from the info of the class. The guy next to me with 88MPH paid ~$400 total. And I was lucky he didn't give me another fine of $50 (used to be $25) for not having the tag on my license plate, info is also from class. Like I posted the officer was nice and when treating him right he did the same back: he's still human.
Does that include the price of the traffic school? My last ticket in CA was $350 all in. I was unemployed at the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts