Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are no Metris dealers in Alaska so I bought my van in Colorado and drove it to AK.

Until very recently the Sprinter dealer in Anchorage, Trailer Craft, was doing warranty work on the Metris. However, Mercedes Benz USA has decided that since Trailer Craft is not an authorized Metris dealer, MB USA will not reimburse them for any warranty work. The Anchorage MB auto dealership won't have anything to do with servicing a Metris.

Consequently I was just informed by MB USA that any future warranty work on my van will have to be done in Washington state. Its only a 2246 mile drive, one way to Lynnwood, which appears to be the nearest Metris dealership. Clearly MB USA is more concerned about strictly following their rules rather than taking care of a customer.

So a word of caution to anyone thinking about buying a Metris for use in Alaska- DON'T DO IT if you're concerned about warranty coverage!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm always amazed at companies which operate on the principle of “screw the customer”

But, then, I bought a Mercedes, so I suppose I'm the dummy.

OTH, Rocklin Mercedes has treated me well on the 6 visits since June. And Merc corporate continues to pay for useless guessing and part swapping to fix an engine stalling problem, even though it's passed out of warranty. They even comped part of the cost for a freakn new steering rack at 41k miles.

But, I know now that owning or driving a Metris more than 50 miles from a Metris savvy dealer is folly. After 45k miles in 2 years, it's the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Reading on this forum about all of the issues I have yet to experience but are coming is depressing.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Any chance of having it done in Canada and saving a few miles? My local dealer "https://www.mercedes-benz-london.ca/" does everything - cars, vans, sales, service, repairs. I think it's the same everywhere here. Our extended warranty is "Honored at any of the more than 350+ authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships (U.S. and Puerto Rico)".

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tree95- wish I had your luck. The Sprinter dealer was crystal clear that I'd be paying for any work done and I'd get to hassle with MB USA for reimbursement.

Any chance of having it done in Canada and saving a few miles? My local dealer "https://www.mercedes-benz-london.ca/" does everything - cars, vans, sales, service, repairs. I think it's the same everywhere here. Our extended warranty is "Honored at any of the more than 350+ authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships (U.S. and Puerto Rico)".
I haven't checked if a USA warranty is good in Canada. Its nice that you can have work done in the US. Yes, I could shave off 300 miles if an Edmonton dealership would do the work. But 1945 miles from home is still not a viable option for warranty work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
. . . so I bought my van in Colorado and drove it to AK . . .

How did your Metris handle the drive to AK. I hear it is a bit of an adventure. Any stories worth sharing, RansomRidge?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. . . so I bought my van in Colorado and drove it to AK . . .

How did your Metris handle the drive to AK. I hear it is a bit of an adventure. Any stories worth sharing, RansomRidge?
Sorry, no dramatic stories on the trip. The Alaska Highway is paved the entire way. Its pretty much like another other paved road in the northern part of the continent. There are frost heaves as you get farther north but those are usually not too much of an issue for passenger size vehicles. But they can be a hazard for trucks and large RV's.

I drove my van north in March 2017, which is a good winter month for travel. The days are longer, temps are more moderate, there is less traffic and fewer rocks getting thrown in the air. The worst stretches are normally those under construction, but there is no road construction in progress in March. Although the windshield got hit with several large rocks, I was lucky and did not get any chips or cracks.

The van came with Michelin ice tires and they did fine in some snow around Edmonton, maybe 3 or 4 inches during an over night storm. Farther north I hit slushy weather as well as snow packed roads and didn't have any problems.

I did the trip from Denver to Anchorage in about 5 days, which is about 12 to 14 hours of driving per day. I had camping gear so I just slept in the back of the van. The point of the trip was to get the van home, not to make it into a vacation. Virtually all of the tourist attractions/activities are closed in the winter. I've done the Alaska and Cassiar Highways half a dozen times so it wasn't a new adventure for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, when I bought the van I assumed that the local MB dealership would support it. Or the Sprinter dealer. In my experience, that's how it works with all US and Japanese auto makers.

Alas, assumptions are always a risky proposition..... I should have called them first. Little did I know that MB van owners are, well, children of a lesser god.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is extremely disappointing to hear. What happens when one of us breaks down on a cross-country road trip and are 400 mi away from the closest dealer, let alone a dealer that believes in "Metris"? Does the ELW pay for unlimited tow distance?

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is extremely disappointing to hear. What happens when one of us breaks down on a cross-country road trip and are 400 mi away from the closest dealer, let alone a dealer that believes in "Metris"? Does the ELW pay for unlimited tow distance?
Yes, it says it will be towed to the closest MB Van dealer, so if thats 500 miles, I'm guessing thats what they'd do. :surprise:

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Let’s remember that MB Vans and MB Cars are actually two completely different companies with entirely different management structures. I’m not here to argue that it’s stupid that car dealers don’t deal with vans (Toyota dealers will happily service a Lexus), and I certainly am not going to argue that a Sprinter dealer should not simply be Metris certified.

But that is the reality and the (underwhelming) why.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I personally understand, that Metris is build only about 20-25% in Germany, (Engine & transmission done in Deutschland, most other parts including paint :-( are done in Spain, assembly in s.Carolina, so I would say, that Metris is not really Mercedes Benz German van, but a Spanish van with Mercedes Benz engine and transmission. That is why in my humble opinion owners of MB Metris are treated differently than an owner of $120,000 "M.B.jeep" :-( Money spend and profit made :) is the leading cause :) If you want to own Metris find an independent mechanic working on Mercedes Benz, do not use the uneducated dealer :-( There are exception as Robb is a living prove of a good knowledgeable person, some other good people in this forum also, but most in the dealerships in the US not even worth to talk to or ask question. The work in the two dealerships in Denver Colorado is the worst that I have seen on any car in my last 45 years in US, and the cost is not fitting the work. I get for sure better service and get a courteous behavior from a dealer working on my jeep patriot with the same purchase price as Metris, I do like my van, but will not spoil my feeling at the dealer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you want to own Metris find an independent mechanic working on Mercedes Benz, do not use the uneducated dealer
Baron, which indie do you use in Denver? I'll likely use German Motors (Colfax & Simms) when the time comes. I've had great experience there with my other MBs. They have a couple other Metris customers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts