Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a base model Worker Cargo model with zero options. The van will be used for kegs and pallets - and I expect the floor to take a beating. I'd like to DIY a floor solution with high-quality plywood that can be replaced as needed.

So, does anyone have a template for the floorboards (and walls!). Also, does anyone know what thread pattern is required to utilize the factory attachment points?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Unless you're going to cut the plywood on a CNC router, I don't see somebody else's template being better (or even easier) than one you make yourself, based on your own van.

For DIY it might make sense to fabricate the floor from a couple pieces with tongue-and-groove joints. Would allow you to use standard-size sheets and would be easier to handle.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
4 mil plastic might make it easy to cut a template. Put down some plywood to kneel on after laying the plastic in place.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did it many years ago to protect a pickup bed. I used large sheets of kraft paper and laid it down then was able to use my fingernail to crease the paper in the seams. Then transferred it to the plywood and cut it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm unique in that I have a laser cutter, so I would love digital templates for the walls of mine. I tried contacting the upfittersportal where it seems like they would offer that sort of thing, but the only diagram they offer is the exterior. They said I should go rent one and make my own, not at all reading the fact that I own one already, I just want to make my own panels. While I've converted paper templates to files, it's a lot of tweaking and testing. It would only make sense to go to that trouble vs. using paper templates if I could sell them. And I imagine I could, I just don't know what materials/designs would be desirable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you take a 4x8 sheet of baltic birch and just lay it down in there it is going to be 90% correct. 18mm thick should do it on the floor.

Perhaps 4-5 mm thick for walls?

If you don't need a "perfectly fitting" wall for the beer kegs, then the walls are not so far off of a 4 x 8 ft sheet either. A rectangular cut around the wheel well is simple.

The empty cargo van is just slightly wider than a 4ft wide sheet in between the wheel wells. In fact the fit is so tight that if you have a passenger version with interior panels the sheet of plywood will not fit. (according to the MB specs anyway)

The small areas that need fill in could be easily roughed in with simple rectangles and just screw them down to the floor.

The only way to get a tighter / perfect fit would be to purchase 2 sheets of 5x5 do a lot of painstaking detail cutting. Either way you will have some seams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts