Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine seems to point down at the ground. We have an Infiniti M37 and the field of view is really good on it. With the Metris, not so much. Anyone else? Is this something that can be adjusted?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine seems to point down at the ground. We have an Infiniti M37 and the field of view is really good on it. With the Metris, not so much. Anyone else? Is this something that can be adjusted?

There are few posts complaining about it including me. But looks like people here like it that way.

I just can't stand it but don't want to mess up the warranty so just have to live with it. I'm on the way to completely pretend Metris has NO back up camera: just put my right hand on the back of passenger seat and turn my head 180 degrees to check. It's safer that way anyway.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I like it; I find it good for positioning the van minutely when backing up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For simply backing up, sure, it's fine. But you can't really see any surrounding vehicles, if they're backing out of their spots, etc. The one in our M37 has a great view of all of that.

Wasn't sure if this was something adjustable by the dealer or not.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's a big difference between passenger and cargo camera usage. Passenger just needs the camera to back up precisely while using windows to scan the surrounding environment. Cargo van with no side windows combined with the telescopic side mirrors is virtually blind when backing up. I usually end up walking to the back of the van, checking oncoming traffic, rushing into the drivers seat and backing up while waiting for the honk of oncoming traffic. It's totally inconceivable to me how a brand like MB didn't attempt any correction to rearview blindness before introducing the Metris. Yes, it can all be worked around, but for something as obviously safety related it's inexcusable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 2016 cargo last week and was thinking this same thing. My 2017 E300 and my wife's 2016 C300 show much more up/higher than the cargo van. It is really hard to see what's around you, but it does work well for backing into a parking space. I almost feel that needs to be the normal operation - back into spots so you don't have to back out into traffic when you can't see.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
The purpose of a camera on a van like this is to precisely back up to things, and allow for parking in tight spaces. It is not designed for backing in to traffic- which is an odd thing for a van to do- since they usually back up to where they are dropping off or picking up cargo. Backing in to a space does not require wide field visibility because you are already visibily in the way of approaching traffic.

That is to say, when you back out of a space you have to watch for other traffic. When you back in to another space, you already have the right of way and they have to watch for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
back into spots so you don't have to back out into traffic when you can't see.
no rear glass in my MC, so that's what I do all the time. Even in busy mall with cars behind. signal ahead for parking spot then hazards on, then back in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've never had a backup camera before I got my Metris, (which is also my first van). I've adapted well to it. I do have a rear window in my Metris Cargo, but using the traditional method of turning head and looking out the back window, well I can't see much. I had to pay extra for the backup camera on my 2016, but I am so glad I have it. It could have a wider angle view and bigger screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts