Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1997 GMC Safari cargo van with 285K miles. I am considering a Metris cargo van. My Safari has 5 leaf springs (each side) on the axle. The Metris has an independent coil suspension. I carry parts and tools for my business. Probably around 1800 lbs. I asked a local suspension shop about rear coil suspension and was told that a leaf spring suspension can be modified by adding springs. Coil suspensions are harder to modify unless I want airbags or custom coils made. Neither of which I am interested in doing. Do any of you carry 1800 lbs or more in your Metris cargos with no problems?

Thank You
DR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't but have read on here that people do and don't have a problem to do so. There are aftermarket coils, that is heave duty, that can be put in with little trouble to help with the load.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I carry a pretty substantial constant load - haven't weighed it recently, however but it's heavy.

I have installed SumoSprings from Supersprings.com - contact them. They're very helpful. The SumoSprings eliminate the "bobblehead" feeling I was getting on the highway. I also regained some rear ride height and no longer hit the stops when going over speed humps, etc.

I'm considering adding a heavier spring from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-be...ash=item43fe74ff48:g:FusAAOSwj85YMQYV&vxp=mtr

I've also talked with them and they are very helpful as well.

Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply. Let me know if you install those springs from EBAY. My Safari is still running so I am not in a hurry.

DR

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't been able to weigh my total load, but I'd bet I'm pretty close to 1500 or 1600 lbs when I'm fully loaded. Plus my own weight, and I'd bet I'm near as makes no difference 1800+ lbs total. Even at that weight, the Metris drives pretty close to the same as when its unloaded, and I have a hard time telling that that suspension is compressed at all. Plus, being as the total weight capacity is 2500 lbs, I wouldn't worry about 1800 lbs cargo at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was recently moving couple of loads 2000+ lbs. Specifically, I think they were 2300 and 2100 lbs (hardwood flooring of french oak, dense stuff). Suspension wasn't at limits (unevenness of the road was not only meeting tires). The car was drivable well and acceleratino was great. Now, breaking was not great. I had to keep a 2-3 times distance to the vehicle ahead. On couple of occasions, it was a close call because I was pushing the break pedal as my life depended on it and it was just rolling...

So, I think suspension will take ~2300 no problem at all bit watch for the breaking distance...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like user MOBILE own a 2004 Astro van AWD with just under 300km, was totaled off by my insurance company after a hit and run.
I have 90 days before they require van to be removed from the road, still derivable but they no longer will insure.
I had self installed Air bag set up Rear suspension to take out the Van’s ass sag look with my Constant load of 1700ish lbs.
Air bag set up on Leaf suspension is a breeze.
So I am also looking at the Metris for a replacement for my Astro Van as cargo size is equal.

Test drove the 2017 Metris Cargo and it was the closest match to my Astro.

Now this is making my replacement with the Metris unsure because for the last 25 years using Service Vans with Leaf suspension with airbag assist and a Min of a 6 cylinder and 5-6 inches of ground clearance.

**In my search for rear suspension upgrades or air bag solutions are far and few between.**

·
Registered
401 Posts
During snow storms my van is loaded with just about 2,000lb between snowblowers and salt. Van drives like if it was unload had no issues. I have to agree with @dtitov about the breaking didn’t have a problem when it was loaded had the problem towing a boat 3,000lb give or take.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've finally landed on what will most likely be my final setup - it uses both the heavy-duty springs from Tony Vidinovski at Birchmount Spring - AND the SumoSprings inserts from SuperSprings. I'm VERY happy.
Good, solid ride, proper ride height and no trailer hitch scraping on driveways.

The SumoSprings had to be adapted and "persuaded" a bit by a local independent mercedes shop but the end result is really good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-b...ash=item43fe74ff48:g:FusAAOSwj85YMQYV&vxp=mtr)

https://www.supersprings.com

·
Registered
76 Posts
During snow storms my van is loaded with just about 2,000lb between snowblowers and salt. Van drives like if it was unload had no issues. I have to agree with @dtitov about the breaking didn’t have a problem when it was loaded had the problem towing a boat 3,000lb give or take.
So, how does the rear wheel drive handle in the snow?
I assume the weight in the rear is helpful, but are you running chains or studded tires in the rear?
I can definitely understand how braking is un bitch ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
So, how does the rear wheel drive handle in the snow?
I assume the weight in the rear is helpful, but are you running chains or studded tires in the rear?
I can definitely understand how braking is un bitch ;)
Van drives good in the snow. The problem is trying to find parking. I have snow tires on all four wheels in the winter time not studded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well boys I Thank You for the info on your site about the Metris.
Buttt I will be choosing the Ford Transit T-150 XLT 130” Wheel Base Low Roof as the replacement
for my Chevy Astro Van over the Mercedes Metris for my next Service Van.
The Chevy Astro AWD, Mid size Van, 4.3L V6, 6” of ground clearance, Airbag setup -(so easy to do on Leaf suspension) Just was an all around work horse
These are the following reasons not going with the Metris Van.
Lack of ground clearance, In Central Canada in my city we have up to 6” deep ruts on roads during 5 months of winter we have here in Saskatchewan.
Lack of suspension upgrades available for the Metris, for my Constant load.
Lack of breaking power when towing.
Canada 2017 Metris Passenger 40,000K - 45,000K plus Taxes (Have to upgrade)
Ford Transit T-150 XLT 130” Wheel Base Low Roof 40,000.00K plus Taxes (Larger but no upgrading required)
The Metris I test drove was nice to drive and I enjoyed the size, but did not have my payload in it.
Metris Van was the closest in cargo size and total vehicle Length to my Chevy Astro Van.
I hope in the future some bright Auto Manufacturer Engineer will come out with another van
Similar or better than the Chevy Astro or GM Safari AWD, V6.
Thanks for putting up with my frustrations. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you posted on the wrong site. This is the Mercedes Metris site, not The Ford Transit site. No need poke folks in the eye. And it’s “braking” not “breaking”. Bye.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you posted on the wrong site. This is the Mercedes Metris site, not The Ford Transit site. No need poke folks in the eye. And it’s “braking” not “breaking”. Bye.
Smart Ass hey...
Just trying to say Thank You to the site for the info I gained here, and you are trolling for spelling mistakes.
Its people like you that feel power by berating people.
Not cool... I do not see moderator by your name.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts