Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY Seat/Bed (NOT a passenger seat)

Disclaimer: This seat/bed is NOT designed for passengers when the vehicle is in motion.

I looked at a lot of websites and designs for a seat that also served as a bed. Its a real challenge in a smaller van like the Metris. I had hoped to buy a RIB/Scopema seat but getting my hands on one, but even after 2 1/2 months of hounding an upfitter on a weekly basis to order one for me, I had to give up on that idea. I did not find anything quite like what I came up with in my extensive internet search, which made me a bit nervous.... did my idea/design have some serious flaws? Well, none that I have found yet....

The drawer slides rated at 500 pound are the novel feature in my setup, along with the folding plywood parts using piano hinges. It was not all that difficult to build, but there are a lot of subtle details to deal with- mostly the clearances around the wheel hump and allowing space for the movement of the plywood pieces.

There are 3 positions- 1) folded flat, which is how I will position the seat when I travel. I have not gotten cushions made yet, but will carry them on top of the folded plywood pieces when traveling. The cushions and plywood will be held down with 1" camlock straps. (Pics 1A and 1B). 2) The seat (Pics 2A to 2C). The back rest angle is adjustable by moving the tie down device in the L track. The L track also serves as a backing plate for the drawer slides. I considered different ways to secure the setup in the seat mode for travel, but for now will use the simple fold down position. 3) The bed, which is 80" long by 45" wide. (Pics 3A and 3B). The 4 pieces are made from 3/4" plywood and joined together with three 36" piano hinges. When extended fully forward, the bed is compatible with swivel seats if they are not extended fully toward the rear of the van.

The base is also made of 3/4" plywood. In hindsight, I'd have made a metal frame and then cover it with 1/2" plywood. The metal frame would be easier to attach to the floor. I have it attached to the L track in the floor with 3 stud fittings and one 8 mm bolt that goes into a factory installed threaded insert near the right rear wheel.

The drawer slides are pinned into place with two 1/4" locking pins, one in each slide. Pic 4 shows the starboard track, which also pins the drawer closed. The pin in the port track accessed with the drawer open- it was too difficult to get a decent picture of that pin.

The drawer is on Blum slides and is held in place with two very solid locking latches, as well as with the starboard pin. Pic 5.

Pic 6 shows the base with the plywood pieces moved forward on the slides.

The good aspects of my design are that its versatile, space efficient and light enough that I can remove it by myself. The drawbacks are that it can't be used as a passenger seat, it take a bit of time to change it between the 3 different positions, and in the bed mode you'll likely have to move gear around if you have a lot of stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
The even gap of the flush mounted doors is quite impressive and very difficult to achieve. Beyond your excellent design and fabrication skills on the interior, your attention to detail on the various underlying systems of the build is evident. Very nice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The even gap of the flush mounted doors is quite impressive and very difficult to achieve. Beyond your excellent design and fabrication skills on the interior, your attention to detail on the various underlying systems of the build is evident. Very nice.
Thank you Mikit. All of the doors and drawers were cut out using a trim router with an 1/8" bit and straight edges for guides. It was not all that hard to do, it just requires some good planning. The part that was most difficult to get half way decent was the inset cabinet door by the driver's seat. That 45 degree angle in the door was far more difficult to pull off than I expected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts