Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an OEM hitch? I only need the hitch for a bike rack (I will not tow a trailer, so no need for electrical). My local dealer says MB requires full tow package installation. Parts are $1800 plus labor. They said I could purchase the OEM hitch alone for $359 but would have to install it myself. I'm wondering if the installation of OEM hitch is as easy as the Curt or Draw-tite (plus needing to cut bumper) or if OEM install is much more complicated.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
436 Posts
I think the only "difficult" part of it would be trimming the bumper cover. I say a video of it somewhere, but can't find it now. That's what I would call a good price for the part. I don't think its as easy as the aftermarket hitches. Personally, I would opt for the oem as it would forever bother me if I had a low hitch.

What bike rack are you going to use?

Do you have doors or a liftgate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, the low clearance of the aftermarket hitches looks unacceptable. I'd love to see that bumper trimming video if you stumble across it.

I have a 1up USA rack (1up-usa.com). They are the best! Very well made, low profile, easy to load and hold bikes securely.

I'm considering a used 2016 passenger with liftgate, but I need to make certain I can install the OEM hitch before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation. Now to determine the total cost and if it's worth it for this particular Metris or if I'm better off waiting for another.

BTW—Thanks for this forum. It's been a huge help in researching a Metris purchase and options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same exact situation! I have 2016 Metris passenger with lift gate. I too also have a 1up USA rack for two bikes. (Great Rack BTW!) I gave up considering an aftermarket hitch because of the low clearance. I have decided to take out the back seat and get my bikes into the rear cargo area, maybe taking off the bike's front tires and look for fork fasteners to attach to a board on the floor of the van, or turn the front bike tires sideways and keep them upright somehow. I also bought two 20' folding bikes to ride and should be able to easily fit them inside the rear hatch area. I don't want to pay for an OEM hitch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: My local dealer is willing to install the hitch only. The estimate cost is $960 including the parts and labor. They will also sell the OEM hitch part alone for $359

·
Registered
93 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch on my van. I'd say the most difficult part was removing the rear bumper and even that is pretty easy if you are comfortable removing trim panels and such from your vehicle. I'm always nervous I am going to break snap-on car parts especially when it's a part I haven't pulled before.

Step 1: Put a blanket on the ground to keep your bumper from getting scratched.

Step 2: Remove the bumper. The rear bumper is held on with a hand full of plastic push rivets around the perimeter, some torx bolts around the hatch threshold and then spring clipped to the body

Step 3: Cut the notch. Once you have the bumper off Mercedes was nice enough to leave a molded cut line for you to follow. There is a reinforcing plastic piece you can unclip to give you better clearance while cutting. I put a Dremel circular saw bit in my cordless drill so I could cut at low speed then carefully cleaned up the edges with files.

Step 4: Remove the towing eye bracket. You'll need to pull the muffler out of the way but just pushing on it will give you enough clearance, you shouldn't need to remove the rubber hangar.

Step 5: Install the hitch. Lift the hitch up and bolt it into place (Don't forget to order the required nuts and bolts along with the hitch). You'll need a helper and maybe some jack stands for this step. The hitch is too heavy to hold in place by yourself and you'll need to muscle the muffler out of the way again.

Step 6: Put the bumper back on.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
436 Posts
I'm considering a used 2016 passenger with liftgate, but I need to make certain I can install the OEM hitch before pulling the trigger.
This is key info. If you are looking at a particular van at the dealer offer the hitch install.... well get them to add the whole hitch package with wiring for the purchase. Negotiate.

If you aren't trying to seal a deal on a particular van please shop around and find one with a hitch. In my experience they are around. Better when you potentially resell.

If you buy a van without a hitch just consider the value of your time. 1k seems like a lot to install a hitch that cannot be used for towing ever. 350 is reasonable for the part plus your own time if you are up for the task. I think you can do it.

I'd work the deal or find a van with a hitch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great! Install doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks for the step by step! Last time I pulled a bumper off a van it was to replace the engine on 1971 VW camper, so this should be manageable.

I am looking at a particular van at a dealer offered through their internet sales. It's a well equipped, properly maintained, white 2016 passenger van with 13k miles. The price is firm at $25,600. From what I've seen, this seems like a reasonable price on a low mileage Metris. I've been trying to negotiate hitch but they are not budging beyond a little discount on parts only. I'm feeling like this van is still worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Peter - I'm still a newbie on this forum and can't PM yet. I have a 2016 Metris Passenger van and like you I am taking a step by step approach. I am starting with the pop top, swivel seats and trailer hitch for a bike rack. Are you still happy with your Pop Top that Sportsmo Fresno did? I am considering going that route - is there any advice you could offer. Did you do an OEM trailer hitch for a bike rack? How did that turn out for you and how much did it cost. Where is the dealer that did it for you? Thanks. Dash

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Peter! I'm looking to get a hitch for a bike rack, but the dealers I've called will only sell the whole kit at over $800. Which dealer did you ask?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM Metris Trailer Hitch for a 2016 Metris Part # A 447 310 04 00 is now a discontinued part, and/or if a replacement MB hitch is available? I went to purchase one online today, and discovered that all of the online MB parts sites I checked state that the hitch is now a "discontinued product". Thanks.

PS - "All" of the online sellers I checked were MBPartsExpress, MyNewBenzParts, GenuineMercedesParts, MBoemParts, & XPortAutoparts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM Metris Trailer Hitch for a 2016 Metris Part # A 447 310 04 00 is now a discontinued part, and/or if a replacement MB hitch is available? I went to purchase one online today, and discovered that all of the online MB parts sites I checked state that the hitch is now a "discontinued product". Thanks.

PS - "All" of the online sellers I checked were MBPartsExpress, MyNewBenzParts, GenuineMercedesParts, MBoemParts, & XPortAutoparts
UPS just dropped my OEM hitch today. I got it at PelicanParts. Shipping and taxes will bump up the price a bit, Here is the link

·
Registered
37 Posts
UPS just dropped my OEM hitch today. I got it at PelicanParts. Shipping and taxes will bump up the price a bit, Here is the link
Just finished installing the hitch. Harder part was the cut on the bumper. You have to take your time to get it out so you don't break any tab. I used a motorcycle jack to lift the hitch. It was actually the easy part. For the wiring since I will not be pulling anything that needs the brake controller I will use the Tekonsha Modulite ZCI 119250 trailer light power module. No need for cutting or splicing any wires. Hope I helped a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just finished installing the hitch. Harder part was the cut on the bumper. You have to take your time to get it out so you don't break any tab. I used a motorcycle jack to lift the hitch. It was actually the easy part. For the wiring since I will not be pulling anything that needs the brake controller I will use the Tekonsha Modulite ZCI 119250 trailer light power module. No need for cutting or splicing any wires. Hope I helped a bit. View attachment 17774 View attachment 17775
How has the Tekonsha wiring kit worked out for you? I'm looking at doing pretty much the same thing you did with the factory hitch but not the full factory wiring. I've read iffy reviews about Tekonsha's kit, wondering if it's worth it or not..

·
Registered
37 Posts
How has the Tekonsha wiring kit worked out for you? I'm looking at doing pretty much the same thing you did with the factory hitch but not the full factory wiring. I've read iffy reviews about Tekonsha's kit, wondering if it's worth it or not..
Honestly I have not had the time to install it. I don't think there will be a problem because the one I have is not a brake controller. I think this is the one somebody was having problems with. (The brake controller)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Factory trailer wiring is not just for lights! It also passes through and disables the blind spot (and park assist if equipped) sensors, and alters the ESP mode on the vehicle to expect and accommodate trailer driving dynamics. Not having this makes things more dangerous. I got the whole setup (hitch + factory module + wiring) from my dealer for ~750 or so and installed it all myself. Had the dealer SCN/code the module in for about 1 hour labor and it was all set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Factory trailer wiring is not just for lights! It also passes through and disables the blind spot (and park assist if equipped) sensors, and alters the ESP mode on the vehicle to expect and accommodate trailer driving dynamics. Not having this makes things more dangerous. I got the whole setup (hitch + factory module + wiring) from my dealer for ~750 or so and installed it all myself. Had the dealer SCN/code the module in for about 1 hour labor and it was all set.
What dealer did you go through to get all the parts? Seems like a lot of them are reluctant to go through the effort to figure out all the parts and get it right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone installed an OEM hitch? I only need the hitch for a bike rack (I will not tow a trailer, so no need for electrical). My local dealer says MB requires full tow package installation. Parts are $1800 plus labor. They said I could purchase the OEM hitch alone for $359 but would have to install it myself. I'm wondering if the installation of OEM hitch is as easy as the Curt or Draw-tite (plus needing to cut bumper) or if OEM install is much more complicated.
I want to install OEM hitch for my 2018 passenger metris. My question is where i can find the OEM hitch? if anyone has a good reference

1 - 20 of 23 Posts