Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disgruntled employee wrecks 50 vans at Mercedes-Benz factory

An employee at the Mercedes-Benz's Spain factory wrecked 50 vans parked in a private parking lot. The 38-year old, who has been fired from his job after this incident, stole a caterpillar backhoe used for roadworks similar to JCB and drove 21 km to the factory located in Spain's Basque region.
Upon reaching the factory, he went into a complete rampage mode and drove the front-end loader of the roadworks vehicle into 50 brand new Mercedes Class V vans which recently came out of assembly line. There were no injuries since this incident took place when not many people were present on the site, besides security employees and maintenance workers, according to a report in Spanish auto news outlet Periodismo Del Motor.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
574 Posts
Take whatever the twitter poster says with a grain of salt, and the motor1 reporter inflated the damage # with an extra 4 million and stated the individual worked there back in 2016 2017. Certainly if he were fired on that particular day, going back enraged ... is more logical to understand, but who knows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully he gets 50 years in prison for destroying some very nice mercedes vans if i was his boss i would have beat his ass and then threw him in jail

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
341 Posts
Let's put it into perspective. If this had happened in the US, he'd have been more likely to have shown up with an assault rifle (or 2 or 3) and a pistol (or 2 or 3) with several hundred rounds of ammunition in high capacity magazines to get a high body count...... and to get his two minutes of fame.

A few wrecked van doesn't look so bad IMO.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
My aren’t we feeling violent. It’s just a case of aggravated vandalism by a man who is most likely Verrückt. He needs some time in treatment for mental illness, yes, and maybe some time in jail, but chill.

·
Registered
401 Posts
MB's insurance will pay for it no problem, and likely they can recover much of the most expensive components for re-use/sale via parts channel etc. (such as the powertrains....undamaged wheels/interiors etc. Most likely the only portions getting scrapped will be the damaged chassis themselves and any parts directly damaged.

Check out that roof structure strength of the vans too, one van laying on another and the roof is still nearly fully intact! And I doubt it was placed there gently.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Actually MB policy on damaged vehicles of this type will result in each of these vehicles being crushed whole under the observation of a company representative specifically to prevent the use of these parts through part channels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swear it sucks those are some sweet looking vans and i would love to get a die-cast model. But why did he do it he was getting paid right? If not why didnt he go to his boss? I hate people that destroy cars

1 - 13 of 13 Posts