Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone disabled/removed the rear side curtain airbags in a passenger model? Need to attach cabinets to that beam and don't want airbags blowing them out in an accident... I know there would be an error code thrown if I just remove them. I've read about "airbag simulators" for testing but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Has anyone disabled/removed the rear side curtain airbags in a passenger model? Need to attach cabinets to that beam and don't want airbags blowing them out in an accident... I know there would be an error code thrown if I just remove them. I've read about "airbag simulators" for testing but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. Thanks!
Despite the Mercedes electronic parts catalog designations "left rear" and "right rear," I believe the Metris Passenger side curtain airbags run the entire length of the van:

So you would have to 1) disable the side airbags entirely, or else 2) replace them with the front-only airbags from the cargo van. If I had to guess I would think that option #2 would work fine, but this may not be an area where you want to rely on guesswork.

·
Premium Member
TBD
69 Posts
There are a number of Van-builders that add cabinets to Metris passenger vans. How did they get around the airbag issue!?
For example, here's a photo of the Metris Anacapa

·
Premium Member
TBD
69 Posts
Ok, dusting this off to see if anyone has more info.
Even the Marco Polo has cabinets to the ceiling in the back!!
As I design the cabinets for our passenger Metris, I cannot bring myself to disable an airbag. Hence, I'm sticking with a level of cabinetry/counter top that is all, well below the airbags. Someone give me a good reason not to.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
579 Posts
Maybe they reposition the rear part of the curtain airbag forward a tick? Scoot it forward a mounting hole along its length over the cabinet side? Because these things still seat 4 people, right? Thus needing that protection.

It is also interesting where a curtain airbag on the left / cabinet side would be of very limited help, in the rear part of the van, because people are farther away from the structure and glass that the airbag tries to keep you safe from. Along the right side, it is unobstructed.

Now partial length curtain airbags. MB makes the Vito in three lengths with either just cabin + cargo, passenger with three row seating or Worker that is cabin + second row + separation for trunk. So, one could do an airbag swap from a Metris Worker if you only need cabin + second row.

Perhaps a part number can identify what is needed, and if there is some kind of standardization in side curtain airbags, maybe they exist across the brand in a few lengths and the " mid size " ones are available from maybe a GLE or something. No idea if that is the case. Just brainwaves :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts