Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fellow Metris owners!

I ordered transmission/torque converter oil kit from ecstuning and whilst waiting for the kit to arrive, wondered if there are instructions (torque spec for the drain/fill bolts and fluid spec) for rear differential oil change out on the web.

I’m nearing 30k miles and due service B - and planning on changing engine and transmission fluid all on one day - which of course got me looking into rear differential fluid as well, as I didn’t want to ignore it on the day of the big flush.

Any info/help appreciated! The dealer as well but the one nearby seems to have very little resource for servicing W447s - no service manual out for Metris after two years of sales.

Best wishes from LA

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
319 Posts
Don't have any info on the diff, but had these on the transmission. You may have them already and they're probably on the forum elsewhere. I uploaded them to:
www.windeire.ca/722.9 a.pdf
www.windeire.ca/722.9 Tranmission Service.pdf
www.windeire.ca/Automatic transmission - oil and filter change.pdf

I don't know if they are the latest, but they include some updates form the original.

I'll let the dealer do mine, but it's always nice to have some idea about what's in there and what's involved.

·
Registered
943 Posts
drain plug - TAF, new seal
pan bolts - 4nm, 180°

·
Registered
943 Posts
**** man, I didn't even read. I'll look up specs later. I quoted trans service.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't have any info on the diff, but had these on the transmission. You may have them already and they're probably on the forum elsewhere. I uploaded them to:

I don't know if they are the latest, but they include some updates form the original.

I'll let the dealer do mine, but it's always nice to have some idea about what's in there and what's involved.
Replace the spaces with %20

http://www.windeire.ca/722.9%20a.pdf

http://www.windeire.ca/722.9%20Tranmission%20Service.pdf

http://www.windeire.ca/Automatic%20transmission%20-%20oil%20and%20filter%20change.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you!
I found some pdf files on 722.9 from one of the mercedes forums. I’m going to read up both and make sure I have all I need before getting started. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gtrst, please let us know how the kit that you purchased worked for you and also let us know how the tranny change worked out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gtrst, please let us know how the kit that you purchased worked for you and also let us know how the tranny change worked out.
Okay!
The kit will arrive next week, hopefully in the next two weeks I’ll have it done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Robb,
As a M.B. Professional S.T., what is your recommendation for Transmission Fluid & Filter changes?
Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
943 Posts
I do question why other models get 70k trans services and we get an initial 30k, but I guess I just chalk it up to cost of ownership (plus I won't have to pay for it).
The short answer is factory fluids and gaskets at factory intervals. Just my brainwashed $.002

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sooo
I changed the engine oil, same as usual, and then went ahead with the transmission oil change.

All went as should, but then when I was pouring in the new oil into a 2 gallon garden sprayer, I found the first bottle green (or blue) as the liquid that I drained out of the tranny - and then second bottle was red.
I had to stop and look up - 134FE is the updated green fluid and it is not backwards compaible with the red 134 fluid. It was already quite late and I’ll have to go to a local dealership to find the right fluid tomorrow.

Ah well. It being my forst automatic tranny diy I was excited to finish and testdrive but things happen so.

I’m planning on leaving the bottom cover open for a few days to see if it develops any leaks. And also, the drain tube on the inside of the pan was green, and the new one is the updated white one. It is a little bit longer, enabling the pan to hold a bit more oil.

So far, the weirdest part was the six oil pan bolts that are one-time use. They are stretch bolts - and I’ve never dealt with such light and small, low-torque stretch bolts before. Snug it by hand, then torq to 4nm (very low, yes) and then tighten then 180 degrees.
4nm part didn’t feel weird as I have a 1/4drive torque wrench that covered such low torq range yet the 180 part, the resistance on the wrench doesn’t increase as suddenly and firmly as any steel bolts. It kind of... firmly yet steadily turns, if this was any other usual material bolts, that weird softness would mean I’d be stripping the threads or bolt head is about to snap off. All 6 bolts felt consistantly weird so I imagine that’s just how the soft aluminum bolts stretch.

Other bolts are just metal on metal with copper crush washers so I snugged them and go 30-60 degrees more, just to crush the washer.

I’ll fill up the tranny tomorrow and test drive, and if all goes well, keep the belly pan open a few days and report with more impressions.

P.S. Pan has a dollar-coin sized magnet on the inside, with a little bit of very fine mud-like metal mush on it. It isn’t anything unusual for newer cars to have some on the magnetic drainbolts, and filter would have got them if not the magnet - so I’m not worried.
Hmm. When is MB going to release a service manual to specify all the parts and updates?!? If not for the fog in the air regarding specifications and updated fluid/parts, all seems quite straightforward so far.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the update. Stretch bolts are weird feeling. The first ones I came across were steel headbolts, not sure of the vehicle, but I joked that the manual should state that you tighten to just before the breaking point. I am wondering about the drain tube, maybe Robb can confirm this?

·
Registered
943 Posts
From what I've seen in the shop, its really 6 of one, 7 of another. I might go taller just for the extra fluid. I'll check Monday (maybe) to see what the actual difference is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what I've seen in the shop, its really 6 of one, 7 of another. I might go taller just for the extra fluid. I'll check Monday (maybe) to see what the actual difference is.
White tube is a bit longer than the green but not by much - I say ‘not by much’ since the fluid level is set by draining at 45C fluid temp, till tge flow becomes drops... yeah... it’s kind of vague way to do it when compared to having a fill/drain plug. Slightly longter tube would mean that I wouldn’t have to jump on the drain plug once the flow slows to drizzle as in instructional videos on youtube. (As it will hold a bit of extra fluid.)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts