Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Michelin is kinda the Toyota of tires -- generally bombproof. I changed my factory Hankooks early at 18,000 miles to avoid problems on a long trip. I have 13,000 miles on the Defenders now. I can't say they are quieter as my van is pretty heavily sound insulated, but the tread wear is definitely better than the 'kooks at the same mileage. I've never had an alignment and have very even wear. Maybe a harder tread compound? I've driven snow and ice once without chains and it wasn't pretty on the Defenders.

I would NOT do what the urban assault crowd does with aggressively knobby off-road tires. Total waste of money for 98% of most folks' driving, great if you live in Morocco or Baja, I suppose. I guess they look American rugged -- Grrrrrrr!

Reactions: icerabbit

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michelin is kinda the Toyota of tires -- generally bombproof. I changed my factory Hankooks early at 18,000 miles to avoid problems on a long trip. I have 13,000 miles on the Defenders now. I can't say they are quieter as my van is pretty heavily sound insulated, but the tread wear is definitely better than the 'kooks at the same mileage. I've never had an alignment and have very even wear. Maybe a harder tread compound? I've driven snow and ice once without chains and it wasn't pretty on the Defenders.

I would NOT do what the urban assault crowd does with aggressively knobby off-road tires. Total waste of money for 98% of most folks' driving, great if you live in Morocco or Baja, I suppose. I guess they look American rugged -- Grrrrrrr!
Keeping the tires the stock size. Thinking about an air dam on the front and cleaning up the underside and boat tailiing the back just a bit. Would like to increase the mileage from 27 at 75 to 30. I think it is making up for some part of the male anatomy to put a lift kit on a vehicle just to think you look cool. The clearance on the stock van is pretty good. A neighbor has big tires on his f-150. Thinks it is cool but never ventures past a campground. 15 mpg on the highway for him.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have Michelin Defenders and they ride great. 27,000 miles on them so far and they look brand new. I replaced the stock tires at 20,000. I'm impressed you got 27 mpg at 75 mph. This is a shot of my gas mileage on the way home from Texas. I keep the van at 65 mph and go over 300 miles between stops. This is all freeway driving on Interstate 10. In Texas, where the speed limit is 80 mph, my mpg has dropped down to 24, but I am retired and no longer in a hurry...65 mph is my speed on the almost 4000 mile round trip these days...
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer White

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Michelin Defenders and they ride great. 27,000 miles on them so far and they look brand new. I replaced the stock tires at 20,000. I'm impressed you got 27 mpg at 75 mph. This is a shot of my gas mileage on the way home from Texas. I keep the van at 65 mph and go over 300 miles between stops. This is all freeway driving on Interstate 10. In Texas, where the speed limit is 80 mph, my mpg has dropped down to 24, but I am retired and no longer in a hurry...65 mph is my speed on the almost 4000 mile round trip these days...
View attachment 20715
32 is amazing. The higher altitudes here in the intermountain west help with mileage. Used to have a Honda Element. Always got 24 till a road trip to Denver, then I got 29 MPG.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Keeping the tires the stock size. Thinking about an air dam on the front and cleaning up the underside and boat tailiing the back just a bit. Would like to increase the mileage from 27 at 75 to 30. I think it is making up for some part of the male anatomy to put a lift kit on a vehicle just to think you look cool. The clearance on the stock van is pretty good. A neighbor has big tires on his f-150. Thinks it is cool but never ventures past a campground. 15 mpg on the highway for him.
Couldn't agree with you more (though I respect other tire choices and don't want to start a flamer). And I am relieved to hear someone else concerned with fuel economy. I recall another post where a fellow Metris-kateer added a lift kit and oversized tires and wheels, then expressed surprise that they lost 20% of their MPG. Uh, physics be physics. And I agree that Metris is a confident vehicle choice, meaning most of us don't need to prove nuthin' to no one (although I confess to showing off the 101 mph on the toll road we used to call the Colorado Autobahn).

I have to say, I have been feeling unusually patriotic and highly grateful for our freedom and our country after the recent invasion I don't want to speak about. I'll drive 55 mph to beat the b*[email protected] if I have to. So putting aside the environment (which we've been doing for 200 years or so), I think it may soon be arguably unAmerican to waste fuel. And certainly an expensive habit. I'm paying in the mid-five's for premium 91 out here.

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
13 Posts
Just got rid of my Hankooks at 40000 miles on my 2020 Metris. Replaced with Michelin Defenders same size as the kooks. I like them so far, they seem to ride smoother, but don’t think they are much quieter. I normally get between 21 and 24 mpg, I’ll be curious to see if my mileage goes up.

·
Registered
2018 Passenger
131 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but I have Defenders on my van. I get 23-24 MPG per tank mixed driving in San Diego, and an honest 28-30 if I do 60MPH cruise on the freeways here (LOTS of hills on the freeways). Tires are quiet, and the few times I've taken them on fire roads (to the range, camping, etc.) they aren't great but they aren't incapable either. For a softroader I think they are fine (as a reference my other vehicle is a lifted GX470) and they don't seem to know what "wear" is. Handling is more than acceptable as well, wet or dry. Just an all around really solid tire.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but I have Defenders on my van. I get 23-24 MPG per tank mixed driving in San Diego, and an honest 28-30 if I do 60MPH cruise on the freeways here (LOTS of hills on the freeways). Tires are quiet, and the few times I've taken them on fire roads (to the range, camping, etc.) they aren't great but they aren't incapable either. For a softroader I think they are fine (as a reference my other vehicle is a lifted GX470) and they don't seem to know what "wear" is. Handling is more than acceptable as well, wet or dry. Just an all around really solid tire.
So far the Defenders are wearing like iron in 16,000 miles of mixed driving, mainly city. Never aligned, even wear at 34,000 miles. Just did the trek from upcoast to north San Diego County at 55 mph and pulled 34 mpg measured. Needless to say, I am very happy. And I only got the flashing brights twice in the right lane over several hundred miles!!! I may settle on 100 kmh as a Euro compromise, but I really enjoy the van loping along at 1,800 rpm.

Reactions: imacd
1 - 12 of 12 Posts