Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actively looking to order a 2022 Metris Passenger Van from MB. Would appreciate recommendations if you know a dealership that might have an allocation soon. It seems only the larger dealerships are getting the PV allocations.

I must have called 40 dealerships this week. Most say they are waiting for their March allocations or their allocations are sold. One place said they had an allocation I could order from but it would be a $10k markup OVER MSRP.

Is that really the price these days? $55k for a $45k MSRP van? Surely there must be more reasonable dealerships out there.

I'm on the West Coast, but am happy to order anywhere nationwide and have an adventure driving it home.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
I don't know about the west coast, but in my personal search for a cargo van in Northern New England; I landed at Viti MB, a couple states away due to price and features. Now that would be a very long distance transaction for you, but they were very straightforward, do a lot of out of state transactions, and wanted my business, at a reasonable price. The same could not be said from other dealers closer to me. Might be worth an email or call.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't answer your question regarding finding a new PV, but in December we were looking for a new SUV for my wife and we were surprised at the "market rate" add on prices. We went to Ford, Toyota, Honda and Kia and every one had a $5000 over MSRP additional cost. Only Nissan had a zero mark up. We ended up getting a 2022 Nissan Pathfinder that had to be delivered from a dealership 200 miles away to get the features we wanted. They would not budge on MSRP, but gave us a good trade in on the old SUV. Good luck in your search. I bought my 2017 Metris Cargo from Alfanos in San Luis Obispo, CA and have had all my service work done there. Very pleased with the dealership on the sale and service. When I was there picking up new side and ceiling panels a few weeks ago, they did not have a single Metris, but several Sprinters. Love my Metris!

·
Registered
145 Posts
last time I was at my MB dealer every new vehicle had huge "market adjustments" and used cars everywhere are too high. It's just not a good time to buy cars or anything else for that matter...

·
Super Moderator
628 Posts
I remember when dealers had a tough time moving passenger Metris vans. The times we live in lol.

Reactions: focus805

·
Super Moderator
628 Posts
Yes, they were all 10,000 off msrp.
And that was on the window! With some negotiating skills you could get it for less. At least my dealer would.

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
2 Posts
last time I was at my MB dealer every new vehicle had huge "market adjustments" and used cars everywhere are too high. It's just not a good time to buy cars or anything else for that matter...
In Westminster (near Denver) this week the new Sprinters were all marked up $20K! Metris cargo vans were marked up $6K. For no reason, I suppose, other than they can do it. Of course people selling their houses now aren't complaining so I suppose it evens out.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
In Westminster (near Denver) this week the new Sprinters were all marked up $20K! Metris cargo vans were marked up $6K. For no reason, I suppose, other than they can do it. Of course people selling their houses now aren't complaining so I suppose it evens out.
O U C H ! ! !

I would not pay that surcharge ( * ) and would take my business elsewhere.

I don't know how backed up order fulfillment is ( it used to be 3-4 months on a custom order EU vehicle ); but I am pretty sure we could get an order slot with a dealer that we have purchased from before, without the surcharge(s).

( * ) unless there was a super serious change, need a big van right now to upfit and prep, in order to leave everything behind, go off the grid for some reason or another ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Used vehicle prices are plummeting. New cars will shortly follow.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Jim Cramer “When everybody was freaking out about the 8.5% consumer price index number – that is a hot number – you might’ve noticed that used car and truck prices were down 3.8% from the previous month,” he said. 3.8% month over month is big.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
Not sure I would call that plummeting. Used car prices will come down before new car inventory recovers, but it will be a while. We've seen record prices for the last 18 months. We've hit the price fatigue point.

Disclosure: My salary is paid by used and new car sales along with products like pricing, dealer management and transport.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Not sure I would call that plummeting. Used car prices will come down before new car inventory recovers, but it will be a while. We've seen record prices for the last 18 months. We've hit the price fatigue point.

Disclosure: My salary is paid by used and new car sales along with products like pricing, dealer management and transport.
I hear you, and I don't work in the field so I have no personal knowledge (and I didn't intend to be obnoxious!). But 3.8% per month is over 45% annualized. That's a big drop, hence my use of the slightly inflammatory "plummet." I've also noticed price weakening on kbb.com for my van, which peaked in value around November. I think the impact on new car sales remains to be seen. I am having a hard time understanding the "chip shortage" as other than a transient problem, so I expect the supply of new vehicles to increase soon enough. Fair guess or not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm actively looking to order a 2022 Metris Passenger Van from MB. Would appreciate recommendations if you know a dealership that might have an allocation soon. It seems only the larger dealerships are getting the PV allocations.

I must have called 40 dealerships this week. Most say they are waiting for their March allocations or their allocations are sold. One place said they had an allocation I could order from but it would be a $10k markup OVER MSRP.

Is that really the price these days? $55k for a $45k MSRP van? Surely there must be more reasonable dealerships out there.

I'm on the West Coast, but am happy to order anywhere nationwide and have an adventure driving it home.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Did you find any dealerships that are willing to work with you? I am a fleet manager and buy a lot of cars. My experience is that the largest dealerships will work with you and smallest ones will not. Having a car shipped is $1,000 - $2,000 so buying a new van half way across the country is still less than paying price gouging dealerships that want $10k over MSRP. I bought a new Ford van summer 2020 at the peak of COVID and I paid invoice minus rebates. The marketplace is difficult for everyone. Not all car salesmen are price gouging swindlers.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
I think you are right. Since the pandemic started, our small local dealership has said that all MB are built to order. The factory produces n vehicles per week or month. There's a schedule with slots, vans get produced in order they're received / allocated. Unless there are unsold vans coming off the line, ... or there is some idea that they anythinb that is currently produced is only coming later in the year with ones to be produced months from now??

Years ago, I went through a bad dealership experience on a custom order. Vehicle came in. Dealer sold it to his wife. Another dealership gave us one of their upcoming dealer build slots ... and it was three or four months to get it from Germany.

I would absolutely talk to other dealers, if the one that dropped the ball is not going out of its way to help you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts