Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

[Solved] Dealer can’t calibrate backup camera --Advice Requested.

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  grapedaddy 
#1 · (Edited)
Dealer can’t calibrate backup camera --Advice Requested.

Here are the basic facts of the matter. I’ll refrain from ranting or otherwise describing how I truly feel about it. I am asking for advice and if anyone foresees a positive resolution in a reasonable time.

Sept. 1st I bought a 2021 Getaway at the Fredericksburg MBvans dealer about 5.5 hours away. On the way home, I noticed trouble with the backup camera. The worst of it is that the image is completely reversed left-to-right leaving it unusable as a backup camera. Objects on the left display on the right, etc. There are also no gridlines and no wide-angle or hitch views that are new to the 2021 model year. I assumed I would just clear it up under warranty at a more local MBvans dealership. My 2021 was manufactured in Dec 2020.

When I got home I called the Knoxville TN MBvans dealership about 2.5 hours away. After describing the problem, I was told that due to COVID staffing issues, he had been told NOT to schedule any more appointments for those vans. He took my phone # and said he would call me if that changed, but ultimately never called.

A couple of minutes later I called the Roanoke VA MBvans dealership and they had me a service appointment within a week. They at least tried to fix it, but after about 6 hours, they gave it up and said they could not code the camera and would order me a replacement. 3 months later the camera is in and today they tried again.

I had read the other backup camera gridlines threads and I sent them the following and then printed it out for them to see again today:

The following service description came from someone who had my exact problem fixed successfully: (note this was for a 2017 so the Short Test-Code may be different)

"Customer states backup camera does not show the guided lines.

Incorrect VIN in rear view camera.

Perform Short Test-Code B220600 for incorrect VIN in Rear view camera.

Program and SCN code camera.

Lines Function."

They were hesitant to look at the above text and asserted that wasn’t it when I showed it to them.

They (Roanoke) replaced my backup camera as planned and told me they still couldn’t calibrate the backup system and that they had looked up the Fredericksburg inventory check in report and it indicated a code saying the backup system had never been calibrated. He had an earlier model Metris for comparison with a working backup camera, but said that he didn’t know for a fact that my 2021 wasn’t supposed-to-be-like-that since it was setup that way at the factory.

He suggested that I leave it so he could open up a case with MB. I would have done that, but no loaner or ride home (2.5-hour drive) was forthcoming. He suggested that I call Enterprise to rent a car to get home. I declined to leave my van, and I think I’m lucky I did, because after some probing he told me that he had vehicles awaiting a pending MB case resolution since Feb 2021 still waiting for service. He explained that he was limited to what MB would allow and they would not permit my van to be released back to me before the issue is fully resolved. I asked if I chose to drop off the van in January and it did turn out that it would take weeks or months –could I just come get my van back when I couldn’t wait any longer until something better worked out? He replied no. When I suggested that I would indeed come get it anyway should that situation happen, he said that he would rather not have that conversation. We were both being respectful and polite, but I explained firmly that I could not commit to any plan that could lead to me going months or even weeks without the use of my van. He mentioned I could try the Knoxville dealership and that I was within my rights to drop it off back in Fredericksburg and demand that they straighten it out. Weeks or months without the use of my van is the same no matter which dealership has it parked in their service lot. He mentioned a buyback program.

He said that they cannot open a case with MB until I agree to leave it and that I then couldn’t get my van back until the issue if fully resolved whether that was weeks or months. I told him I would be in touch after the first of the year and reiterated that I could not agree to anything that could result in me being deprived of the use of my van for a long indefinite period.

Given that I would really rather NOT sell my new Metris Getaway back to MB and start all over, what are my options? It seems that if I move forward with them opening an MB case then there is potentially no path forward or backwards to get my van back if the issue drags on.

. . .what to do?

See less See more
#2 ·
You have the rear view mirror camera working correctly, yes? Just calling out you can get a correct view today. No safety issue currently, right?

Call the Sandy Springs GA dealer and ask for help. The tech there owns and drives a Metris. Also, try the Seattle dealer since they do a lot of vans.

Does sound like a pre delivery issue. I am empathetic.

#8 ·
Call the Sandy Springs GA dealer and ask for help. The tech there owns and drives a Metris. Also, try the Seattle dealer since they do a lot of vans.

Does sound like a pre delivery issue. I am empathetic.
The short answer is a initial startup and scn coding SHOULD fix this. Now, if it doesn't, of course, further diag is needed. I have fixed other vehicles (MB cars) with that fix so i've seen it before. I've also seen them lose programming (collision prevention module losing it often) so it may not be a predelivery issue. I also would say if they spent 6 hours on it, its a deeper issue.
Good Luck. We're all counting on you.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you. I knew you would be the first to "pounce" on that : )

My digital rear view mirror works great, but doesn't really have the close up utility of a working backup camera. The view is really different. I don't have that one pointed downwards.

It is a pre-delivery issue. I hope I'm not just stuck without one.

#4 ·
I wouldnt let it get to you. Mb should fix it. How you get it done without leaving your van at a dealer might take some creativity. The people working are just people with various skill levels. Not every one of them is a wizard. You might be able to plan and visit a better dealer on one of your trips.

#5 ·
Thank you. It is a good idea to try to find a larger volume mbVans dealer who may have seen a similar problem and already found the solution. The whole point of a Getaway van is to be half way across the country half of the time, but I don't want an extended stay at a hotel near an MBvans dealer half way across the country while a catch-22 process works its way out --or Not. Like you said, I may have to apply my special blend of creativity to the problem.

This problem has probably already been solved by MB multiple times. It would make since to me for the dealership to be allowed to contact MB to find out if there are potential solutions available before-the-fact and then plan when to drop off the vehicle to attempt a fix instead of the other way around. The solution probably varies by build week and patch level.

I don't fault anyone for not knowing exactly what to do on the spot --especially with a model I know they haven't seen much of. That's not it at all. I do fault the catch-22 process. They're not allowed to even proceed to open up a case with MB to get more information about any potential resolution --if any --until I agree to let them keep it indefinitely. Both weeks and months have been mentioned. AND if I agree to that, I may not see my daily driver again for weeks or months.

If I could just leave it a week while they investigated further and gathered whatever they need from my van to do the research and development for a fix that would be awesome. Then I would gladly take it back for another week after the weeks or months the software patch or new coding procedure takes to implement. Otherwise, my attempt to get my backup camera fixed means I have no van. I wonder how many people just drop it and give up. The mention of a MB case pending resolution since last February is especially worrisome, but they didn't easily volunteer that information. I probed it out of him.

All this uncertainty and stress is affecting demeanor as well as my grammar and sentence structure, so I'm calling it a day. Thank you. Good night.

#6 ·
Totally understand the predicament you are in.

But, since it is a new van, once it is documented, it will get addressed. Even if it were to take a new radio and/or camera.

We often wish that we could get into the head unit settings to change something or another, but all manufacturers just keep bringing out newer models (good) and locking things down (frustrating), to force people to go to a dealership where they have Star Diagnostic etc and whatever it is called these days, for the tiniest things. I knew how get a few things done on a couple older vehicles, but have not looked for the same info on a Metris. It might be out there.

Generally speaking. The two dealerships near me seem quite backed up for service appointments. Three weeks or so for passenger vehicles. Several months for commercial vehicles. I had to get my Cargo Metris serviced as a passenger vehicle, to skip the Sprinter queue. This is reportedly due to short staffing (covid) and recall work flooding the queue.

#7 ·
Hello I have a 2019 passenger van , I bought it from the Lexington Kentucky MB dealer ,
the" Sprinter service manager" there is named Larry Wells Very knowlegible, try to call him and ask if he has a clue to the problem
can't hurt to talk to him
Thanks Ken in Mi

#9 · (Edited)
All is well that ends well. After agreeing to let me have my van back in no more than 2 weeks, I dropped it off the morning of Mon Feb 14th and after getting mbvans USA and Germany involved, they had it fixed by Fri Feb 18th and all is well.

The Service Rep said Germany sent him "a file" to code my van with and that the upfitter [Driverge] had messed up some how when they had recoded my van to indicate completion of the upfit. All is well that ends well. Here is an OCR scan of my service doc for today:

11:11 1 FEB22 08:55 18FEB22
LINE OPCODE TECH TYPE HOURS LIST NET
A c/s THE BACKUP CAMERA HAS LINES ON THE SCREEN. CLIENT STATES BACK UP
CAMERA DOES NOT HAVE LINES ANY LONGER. CUSTOMER RETURN FOR
BACKUP CAMERA DIAGNOSIS.
CAUSE: PTSS CASE# 000179367
540650 ON-BOARD POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGE MAINTAIN
(WHEN CHECKING/ TESTING AND TROUBLESHOOTING)
411 WSP 0.10
541011 PERFORM QUICK TEST
411 WSP 0.20
540760 REAR-VIEW CAMERA CHECK (AFTER QUICK TEST)
411 WSP 1.40
540991 PROGRAM AND CODE CONTROL UNIT
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. (AFTER QUICK TEST)
411 WSP 0.30
4199 PTSS CASE# 000179367 VERIFIED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT//LINES FOR
BACK UP CAMERA NOT ON THE SCREEN//HOOKED UP MIDTRONICS BATTERY
MAINTAINER AND PERFORMED SDS SHORT TEST//FOUND CODE B21FF54 The
reversing camera has a malfunction. Calibration is missing//TRIED
PERFORMING CALIBRATION OF REAR CAMERA USING SPECIAL TOOLS THREE
SEPARATE TIMES//EVERY TIME THE CALIBRATION FAILED//PERFORMED SOFTWARE
UPDATE OF REAR VIEW CAMERA AND PERFORMED SCN CODING//PERFORMED
CALIBRATION OF REAR CAMERA AGAIN, CALIBRATION FAILED//OPENED PTSS CASE
000179367//AS PER PTSS UPLOADED CONTROL UNIT LOG AND PHOTOS OF THE
VEHICLE//AS INSTRUCTED BY PTSS PERFORMED RESETTING OF THE CENTER
POSITION OF THE STEERING IN THE EPS CONTROL UNIT//AND PERFORMED
CALIBRATION OF THE REAR VIEW CAMERA//AFTER PERFORMING PROCEDURES THE
LINES WERE PRESENT IN THE REAR VIEW CAMERA DISPLAY//CLEARED ALL CODES
AND PERFORMED FUNCTION TEST//OKAY AFTER REPAIRS.

Reactions: cafebmw
#10 ·
AS INSTRUCTED BY PTSS PERFORMED RESETTING OF THE CENTER
POSITION OF THE STEERING IN THE EPS CONTROL UNIT//AND PERFORMED
CALIBRATION OF THE REAR VIEW CAMERA//AFTER PERFORMING PROCEDURES THE
LINES WERE PRESENT IN THE REAR VIEW CAMERA DISPLAY//CLEARED ALL CODES
AND PERFORMED FUNCTION TEST//OKAY AFTER REPAIRS.
So all that really needed to be done was to relearn the steering?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.