Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a weird situation with my '16 Metris Passenger van. Went to start it up and no starter when I turned the ignition. However, the dash fully lit up like a Christmas Tree and the info center displayed "lane keeping inoperable". after a sleep cycle, I tried again and it started, only to die 10 seconds later. It has the original batteries so they are 6 years old, with 5 of those years being in south florida... so I'm thinking the batteries were due to be replaced.

I replaced with diehard H8 and the aux battery (diehard was all that was available locally) and my initial ignition engagement had no starter. I waited about 10 minutes while I was cleaning up and tried again and it started!? still displaying "lane keeping inoperable" though, with same message displaying in the service info screen. I did a lap around the block and then put her back to sleep. I restarted a half hour later and now the trouble code is gone and no messages.

Has anyone experienced a dead battery? and will it throw codes and light up the whole dash? This is my first mercedes and they seem WAYYY too overly electronically complex. dead battery in my Jeep, it cranks slow and clicks, dead battery in my volvo and it tells me "battery charge low". dead battery in merc and it throws random faults??

just trying to figure out if its safe to drive and not be left stranded, and if I should take it in for a diag.

thanks for your replies!

Sam

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Hi Sam,

While MB can be complex, like other modern cars really, I thought a Metris was still quite ok.
With our years driving MB, they did throw a warning about batteries and / or aux batteries being low and needing replacement soon at around 5-6 years. And, I would expect a Metris to alert me just the same ... if vehicles from a decade earlier did so. No warning in your case?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:. Main battery was 12.08 v across the terminals. Van starts no issue now.

However! The lane keep assist fault still popping up, now I have a low beam bulb fault also. The van actually shut down while I was driving today about 40mph on a back road, I drifted to a stop and then restarted the van.

Very unnerved that it would shut off while moving because of a possible sensor issue...

Anyone else have their van shut off while driving?

·
Registered
2021 Metris Full Camper
49 Posts
Update:. Main battery was 12.08 v across the terminals. Van starts no issue now.

However! The lane keep assist fault still popping up, now I have a low beam bulb fault also. The van actually shut down while I was driving today about 40mph on a back road, I drifted to a stop and then restarted the van.

Very unnerved that it would shut off while moving because of a possible sensor issue...

Sounds like you should take the van in to address this issue. The van shutting down while driving is dangerous, particularly in any kind of traffic. Not sure on the Metris but many vehicles lock the steering wheel when it shuts down or at least loose the power steering.

·
Registered
191 Posts

12.06V is just a 50% charge.

That low of a battery could be the battery going bad but it could be a weak or bad alternator.

It is rather common for as the alternator output falls due to a problem with the alternator the lower voltage can trigger all sorts of seemingly unrelated error/warnings.

You need to have the battery tested for a problem -- the battery supplies some electrical power to energize the rotor magnets so as the rotor turns an A/C current is generated -- then have the alternator tested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, old battery was 12.08v. did not test new battery

had the van shut off on me again while driving, luckily I was able to coast off the road into a parking lot. I bit the bullet and called a tow to the Merc van service. They diagnosed a faulty steering control module ($1000 to replace). Went to pick up the van and there was water on the passenger floor mat. Turns out the windshield seal failed along the top at the passenger side and water was coming in, running down the A pillar and flooding the S.A.M. unit located just below the A pillar. SO, it wasnt the steering control module after all (no refunds on that $1000 tho....) and $900 later I have a new S.A.M. unit and the van seems to be all sorted out. I got some 3M windshield adhesive caulk and filled the channel along the top of the winshield and down each side. I highly recommend every Metris owner preemptively do this, it cost me $2000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts