Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, going down the rabbit hole of adding a dash camera to the Merc. I have some questions.

Has anyone run wiring from the back to the front, either along the floor or along the windows in a passenger van? If so how’d you do it?

The A pillar cover, how do they come off?

In the under glovebox fuse panel, which one is a good canidate for ignition power, to tap into with an add a circuit type connector?

Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ooh, I know this one. I used two sided tape to mount it under the COP, then ran the wire over the headliner, them behind the a pillar. Then I removed the dash speaker grilles and ran it under the dash. It came out under the glove box and into the 12v socket with included dual plug.
You wouldn't even notice it in my van. The next step is hard wiring it to the fusebox.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ooh, I know this one. I used two sided tape to mount it under the COP, then ran the wire over the headliner, them behind the a pillar. Then I removed the dash speaker grilles and ran it under the dash. It came out under the glove box and into the 12v socket with included dual plug.
You wouldn't even notice it in my van. The next step is hard wiring it to the fusebox.
I have the same setup for my black box dash cam. I bought the fuse tap months ago, but have been too lazy to install it. Now that I have other plans for my 12v socket, wiring to the fuse box will be done in the next couple of weeks.

I haven't installed a camera in the back of the van. Not sure if I want to just yet. If I did, I would also run it to the fuse box. I have the cargo version, so I would have to run the wiring all the way up front. It would run along side the wiring for the rear interior lights and under the head liner. There may also be a way to tap off of the trailer wiring.

Reactions: Volvosrock

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the one I am using, the rear camera, plugs into the front camera, so the wire run from Back to front is inevitable.

How does the A pillar trim come off? Just pull/pry?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Those front and back cameras are slick!

That was supposed to read OCP (Overhead Control Panel).

I'm not looking at it now, but I BELIEVE its pry up the SRS logo and find a fastener behind it. After that, you just pull

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robb! I’ve been waiting for you to hardware yours in so I know which fuse to tap?

·
Registered
939 Posts
LOLIRL. Yup, well, the shoemaker's kids have no shoes...

Having said that, the one guy posted the pinout for the acc fusebox ad how to wire in a new fuse, that's what I was going to follow. My camera is 5v in, so new fuse->voltage limiter-> camera.

The way I have it wired now works, so the rest gets backburnered.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it looks like fuses F104-F107 under the glove box are empty and all have power, they are 5amps.

I’m gonna hook into one of those. Any input?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it’s installed and it even works!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some pics. I plugged into the fuse for the rear view camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know how the overhead control panel comes down? I have to hide the last bit of wire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys. my name is Daniel. i'm a new member and a 2018 metris passenger van owner. i was trying to hardwire a dashcam. i came across this and tried to install it the way you guys did it but for some reason my camera still won't turn on. i bought a hardwire kit for a cobra cdr840 with an add a fuse to it. any suggestion would be appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
Power can come from the EK1 in the passenger footwell.
Normal power for the dashcam can come from terminal 15 for power when the ignition switch is on. The wire for power in parking mode (which doesn’t draw a lot of current) can come from terminal 30 so it’s always on. (I may use the auxillary battery for parking mode.) The cable for the rear camera can be taped to go around the EK1 and under the edge of the carpet. (Gorilla tape is by far the best I have found.)

Have you checked out:
http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/401-electronics/8418-dash-cam-suggestions.html#post98730 ? I have pictures of how I ran my cable to the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts