Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet van drivers are installing dashcams for many reasons, any tips or suggestions of a great dash cam for a 2016 Metris, thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
Dashcam installation.
1. I have learned from experience (50 years ago) never to mount anything at eye level. Vehicles coming from the right can track behind them so you don’t see them. I sit fairly high so even the rear view mirror is a problem. I mount my dashcam on a piece of acrylic and prop or tape it low on the window. That way, it’s also easy to pull out and mount in the other car. The camera lens is off to the side and has a clear view through the windshield.
2. There’s a groove between the solid dash and the speaker grill that the power and rear camera cables fit into going right across to the little window at the A pillar.
3. There’s a gap in the dash next to the window and the wires can be fished through to the EK1.
4. Normal power for the dashcam can come from terminal 15 for power when the ignition switch is on. The wire for power in parking mode (which doesn’t draw a lot of current) can come from terminal 30 so it’s always on. (I may use the auxillary battery for parking mode.) The cable for the rear camera can be taped to go around the EK1 and under the edge of the carpet. (Gorilla tape is by far the best I have found.)
5. With the covers for the EK1 and main battery removed, the footwell cover just pulls up to expose the wiring. The rear camera cable can be taped in place and slipped under the floormat to go around the B pillar
6. The rear footwell pulls up from the back and the cable can be taped in place.
7. The cable can then be fished behind the wheelwell cover,
8. and taped in place so it doesn’t rattle,
9. and fed out through the hatch cover, taped and fed under the weather stripping.
10. There was just enough cable to mount the camera on the rear window where the wiper keeps it clean. It’s actually upside down but the image can be inverted with software.

I’m using a Thinkware f800 which doesn’t have a distracting screen but has WiFi to a smart phone to view images, programmng etc. It has GPS so it records where you are, speed etc. Even warns you of red light cameras. I’ve had a f550 for years which has served well and is in the other car now. Haven’t needed the images fortunately, but there have been some close call. Like when the racing cyclists decided to cut left in front of me and some children on bikes decided to follow them. (Trailer brakes worked well.)
There are lots of other (and less expensive) cameras out there to choose from.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recommend mirror mount dash cam or some can even replace your mirror.
some has the ADAS feature, can improve the safety.
Also, if your metris don't has the rear view camera, you can add there too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I purchased 3 Apeman C550 from Amazon. All of our DDs got one. Happy so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts