Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to use the space between the front seats more efficiently in my camper conversion. I didn't want to go too high because we use the space to get from the front to back (fridge trips!) from inside the van. I also have swivel seats which need some clearance to turn and I wanted something that was sturdy enough to step on.

I decided the space would become a lockbox with a rear-facing drawer. I repurposed a used cash register drawer and halved a poly cutting board to make the sides and raise the drawer the height I wanted. I bolted to the seat bases through the polypropylene and the metal cash drawer. I used some scrap poplar to reinforce the top of the cash drawer. I repurposed the plastic tray from the cash drawer to make a tray for small items up front. I finished the top with some marine woven vinyl flooring (fixed to the wood with contact cement).

I liked the woven vinyl so much I replaced my carpet in the rest of the van. Nice little project.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wanted to use the space between the front seats more efficiently in my camper conversion. I didn't want to go too high because we use the space to get from the front to back (fridge trips!) from inside the van. I also have swivel seats which need some clearance to turn and I wanted something that was sturdy enough to step on.
Very clever recycling! And the basic rectangle over the rear vents looks very sanitary (as in, right at place) between the seat bases. I'm gonna copy it in some fashion, and I hadn't thought of a rear facing drawer. I also have the lower console tray -- so, does the box make it easier to climb into the driver's seat from the rear cabin?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@focus805 - yes, stepping on the vent was always awkward as it flexes. The added height and sturdiness of the console makes it easier for me to maneuver.

·
Registered
557 Posts
@focus805 - yes, stepping on the vent was always awkward as it flexes. The added height and sturdiness of the console makes it easier for me to maneuver.
Thanks! Just added "the box" to my build list --

Reactions: brow

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now you need a sign saying "Shoes Off" to enter the van. 😉. Came up pretty nice. 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts