Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a used Metris Cargo to convert, and most of them I see listed do not have cruise control. Odd. I've checked with a local auto electronics shop, and the nearest Mercedes dealer and have been told that it is not possible to have cruise added. Wondering if anyone has found a kit and installer? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
22 Posts
My story is similar. Most of the used cargo vans in my area were 2016, white, no cruise. I purchased a 2016 Cargo van (white - no cruise) that had what I considered "must have" features (backup camera, comfort seats with lumbar support). I do miss the cruise when I drive on the freeway.

My sales rep checked with the local Mercedes dealer who told him that Mercedes did come out with a Service Bulletin on installing cruise on Metris vans that weren't originally ordered with them but it applied to model years 2018 or later (I think I'm remembering the model year correct). Anyway, I was told that it is not possible to add cruise to my 2016 Metris Cargo van. I would love to add it if anyone out there knows how.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Most commercial vans of any brand are ordered without cruise control, because traditional cruise control systems are not particularly useful if you don’t drive on the highway much. MB systems are much more useful in off-highway use, but if you’ve ever tried to use, say, a Ford system on an Econoline on a road with traffic, you’ll find it is more trouble than it’s worth.

The MB system is excellent and very easy to use, so it’s worth going to some length to find one with it.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
the advantage of the MB cruise control is that it is digital, which means that it holds a specific speed. You said that to be digitally. You can vary it in speeds of either one or 5 miles an hour, and it requires just the flick of a lever on the steering column in one of four directions, and clearly displays the set speed on the center IP display. Only in heavy traffic and tight maneuvers, and speeds under 20 mph (the minimum threshold) do I commonly drive with the accelerator pedal. I’m sure there are excellent aftermarket cruise control systems, but I’m also sure they aren’t as good as that.

For example, if I am driving down a 60 mile an hour road and I come to a traffic light, I stop with the brake obviously. When the light turns green, I accelerate to about 20 miles an hour and just pull the lever towards me. The car does the rest. I generally won’t touch the pedal until the next traffic light or a slow moving car, and often the latter can usually be dealt with by simply adjusting speed using the lever because the system actively makes use of the brakes- I have never heard of an aftermarket system that utilizes the vehicles brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You obviously haven't dealt with trying to add this to a van not equipped. I wasted tons of time trying to get info through dealers and factory with no help at all with lots of requests. Just told it couldn't be done per factory. Now I understand it has changed, but at big time cost, and Rosta is easier for me to actually use. Did Rosta for $300 and it performs better than any of the factory cruises I have had. Going to add it to my GMC motorhome to replace factory unit from 1976. I concede it doesn't look exactly factory, could care less!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I have not had the hassle of installing a cruise control system in my van because I ordered it with one. The main point of my post was to suggest at the OP that he make a point of not having to go through the trouble. An aftermarket cruise control system working better than a General Motors cruise control system from the late 70s is no great trick. Actually it would be an impressive trick for it to work worse than a GM factory system from the 70s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also as good as or better response that my other umpteem vehicles that have had cruise like my BMW, Honda, Nissans etc. I don't work for Rosta, just happy with the solution that works for me.

Factory option for Metris is a great , this is all just an issue if the van didn't come equipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts