Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Thule Crossroads rack. Impressed by the quality of the unit but WOW it’s noisy above about 50MPH. Curious if anyone has tips for reducing wind noise (location, fairing, wrapping bars, etc). Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
We went through this with some Yakima racks years ago and adding a fairing made a huge difference. We haven’t used it in a while because the fairing isn’t compatible with roof rails. Since we’ll have a pop-top, there won’t be any rails and so we’re back to standard, tower mounted bars and I suspect we’ll use the fairing again. We’re still a few weeks from delivery but I can let you know how it works then.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the same problem with Thule cross rack, even with the soft plastic insert that was supposed to help. Very noisy. Haven't found a solution yet

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just installed a Thule Crossroads rack. Impressed by the quality of the unit but WOW it’s noisy above about 50MPH. Curious if anyone has tips for reducing wind noise (location, fairing, wrapping bars, etc). Thanks!
Try the cheap and easy solution first. With the Yakima crossbars mounted on my Subaru, I found that the noise level was noticeably reduced by adding a length of foam pipe insulation to the front crossbar.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Finally bought the Thule Airscreen. Didn't get rid of it 100% but it is significantly reduced the noise and now it's only after 65-70 mph!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lower roof racks

Thank you for confirming what I have been thinking: the bars design from the 2 biggest brands does not make sense to me.
When you place an item on top of the bars it adds forces that works towards lifting the whole bars out of the roof. Why not have the bar fit underneath the rails instead? That would ensure a much stronger connection AND make the whole combo bars/roof carriage lower (thus reducing drags and improving gas mileage).
So far the closest I've seen are the types of bars that fits in between the rails (like the product made by ByMauto)
Anyone has experience with those?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try wrapping a bungee cord around the front crossbar and see if that solves the issue, it worked for me on a pair of Thule's square profile crossbars. After testing it out I wrapped a piece of parracord around the bar and then some 1.5" heat shrink tubing. It's a professional looking and cheap solution.

Using a fairing will lower your fuel economy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put 4 cross bars up top in order to mount some textilene shades for the summer camping, (heats up slower under the sun, helps sleep in along with insulation and ventilation) and the frontmost bar was right above driver’s head and was makin wind noise.it was a problem not just for noise, but it meant the wind would hit the textilene shades as well.

I attached two layers of (search:universal lip spoiler, trunk spoiler) tape-on spoilers and the windnoise is gone. The spoilers probably make nouse as well but it is very subtle as I can’t really tell. Sends the wind over the first bar, and textilene stays put up to 80mph - didn’t text any faster.

Give it a try, oh, and the lower lip spoiler right above the windshield, I ground out 3 small channels on the bottom side of the spoiler to let rain water drain out when parked, as it is curved in a U shape and would make a luttle pool otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh, boy. All the typos!

I put 4 cross bars up top in order to mount some textilene shades for the summer camping, (heats up slower under the sun, helps sleep in along with insulation and ventilation) and the frontmost bar was right above driver’s head and was makin wind noise.it was a problem not just for noise, but it meant the wind would hit the textilene shades as well.

I attached two layers of (search:universal lip spoiler, trunk spoiler) tape-on spoilers and the windnoise is gone. The spoilers probably make nouse as well but it is very subtle as I can’t really tell. Sends the wind over the first bar, and textilene stays put up to 80mph - didn’t text any faster.

Give it a try, oh, and the lower lip spoiler right above the windshield, I ground out 3 small channels on the bottom side of the spoiler to let rain water drain out when parked, as it is curved in a U shape and would make a luttle pool otherwise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts