Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the cross wind assist ICON show up on the display when you encounter heavy cross wind. Or is it a software upgrade you need if you don't see one.. The reason i wanted to run it by this forum is because i don't think the cross wind assist engages at all and it pushes the van across lanes when it shouldn't.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The cross wind assist option was included on my Metris in one of the option packages.

Yes, I have seen the icon twice. But, the conditions were pretty extreme. I was driving highway 191 in Utah between Green River on I70 and Price on the way to Salt Lake City. The wind was strong, but the big problem was oncoming trucks in the opposite lane. As we passes each other, the van would be violently thrown to the right. I wondered if the wind assist was activating. Finally, after several of these, a really violent push did result in an alert sound and an icon on the display. I saw it again a few minutes later. But, it only came on twice despite many encounters that caused the van to swerve.

That's the only time I've experienced issues with oncoming trucks. The van does get pushed in crosswinds, but I've only seen the icon in really strong wind coupled with oncoming trucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... so it engages only in extreme cross wind conditions then. Mine were relative minor but was hoping to see the ESP cross wind get activated so that it would drive in straight line regardless of the force of the cross wind.
Glad to hear that it kicks in those extreme conditions. Thanks for your feedback.. I feel this is one of the safest vehicle out there. The collision prevention assist is the best. Saved me on couple of fender benders thus far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've experienced the cross-wind assist action too. It was an extremely hard crosswind in Nevada, my guess is a gust of about 30 mph. The light came on on the dash, but just for an second.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone seen the cross wind assist ICON show up on the display when you encounter heavy cross wind.
As others have mentioned, it takes a relatively extreme gust to activate the crosswind assist. Usually when it has activated on my van has been during a stiff crosswind on a two lane highway, when getting blasted by the bow wave of a large truck going in the opposite direction. BAM! When the crosswind assist activates, you can feel it very aggressively applying the brakes on the various wheels to keep the van going straight and in the same lane. It works well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had it activate once on a large gust, and also in a hydroplaning situation. Rutted out lanes on the interstate and one side of tires was deep in water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts