Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the cross wind assist ICON show up on the display when you encounter heavy cross wind. Or is it a software upgrade you need if you don't see one.. The reason i wanted to run it by this forum is because i don't think the cross wind assist engages at all and it pushes the van across lanes when it shouldn't.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The cross wind assist option was included on my Metris in one of the option packages.

Yes, I have seen the icon twice. But, the conditions were pretty extreme. I was driving highway 191 in Utah between Green River on I70 and Price on the way to Salt Lake City. The wind was strong, but the big problem was oncoming trucks in the opposite lane. As we passes each other, the van would be violently thrown to the right. I wondered if the wind assist was activating. Finally, after several of these, a really violent push did result in an alert sound and an icon on the display. I saw it again a few minutes later. But, it only came on twice despite many encounters that caused the van to swerve.

That's the only time I've experienced issues with oncoming trucks. The van does get pushed in crosswinds, but I've only seen the icon in really strong wind coupled with oncoming trucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... so it engages only in extreme cross wind conditions then. Mine were relative minor but was hoping to see the ESP cross wind get activated so that it would drive in straight line regardless of the force of the cross wind.
Glad to hear that it kicks in those extreme conditions. Thanks for your feedback.. I feel this is one of the safest vehicle out there. The collision prevention assist is the best. Saved me on couple of fender benders thus far.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've experienced the cross-wind assist action too. It was an extremely hard crosswind in Nevada, my guess is a gust of about 30 mph. The light came on on the dash, but just for an second.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone seen the cross wind assist ICON show up on the display when you encounter heavy cross wind.
As others have mentioned, it takes a relatively extreme gust to activate the crosswind assist. Usually when it has activated on my van has been during a stiff crosswind on a two lane highway, when getting blasted by the bow wave of a large truck going in the opposite direction. BAM! When the crosswind assist activates, you can feel it very aggressively applying the brakes on the various wheels to keep the van going straight and in the same lane. It works well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had it activate once on a large gust, and also in a hydroplaning situation. Rutted out lanes on the interstate and one side of tires was deep in water.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had my check engine light flicker on today for a second and cut the power for a split second then it was fine. This happened while driving on the Toll Road at 70 mph in a 20mph cross wind. Has anyone had this happened? Just wondering if its related to the cross wind system. 2016 Metris, original owner 45K miles.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
560 Posts
@Metroplex Metris
How many miles do you have?

My crosswind assist has kicked in a few times.
There seems to be a silent soft assist, where it will just quietly tap on one rear brake; ... and a more full on CWA, where it cuts engine power, tugs on multiple brakes and flashes the crosswind assist symbol.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
There are two independent systems that deal with crosswinds on I believe all current Daimler products except the Unimog and BharatBenz L-series trucks, although some class 7 and class 8 trucks with hydraulic steering and/or air brakes might not.

The first is the electromechanical steering rack, which is programmed to maintain straight ahead, accounting for some degree of potholes, road bumps, road crown, and crosswinds. It is not really a self driving feature, or really a cross wind assist- it’s intention is to reduce the amount of constant driver input as a way to reduce driver fatigue, and it is assisted by the traditional virtual trailing assist linkage used by mostly German manufacturers to encourage straight ahead tracking. AFAIK Daimler is the only company who uses such a complicated electromechanical steering system without it being a part of a more comprehensive driving automation system. If you don’t receive the warning icon, that is the system you are experiencing.

The second system, which is what is termed “Crosswind Assist” is a separate system and is part of the Electronic Stability System. When the Metris came out Daimler was the only company using such a thing, but now I believe a variety of premium brands have it, as do all VWAG products under 5 Tonnes. It detects crosswinds of such suddenness and magnitude that the rack can not accommodate them, and activates brakes in a manner to pull you back on course. If it activates when you are not on a bridge (or other artificial wind magnifier), it is probably wise to consider getting off the road until such storm grade winds subside.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had the icon flash once in a heavy gust. Of course my first reaction was to hit the brakes. Maybe i should have not and let the ECU apply them for me?

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
560 Posts
Just letting off the gas is probably enough, depending on where you are, if there‘s other traffic, ... the initial gust is abrupt, the wind after that may be sustained, so it should not be an issue ... but slowing down is smart .

When I drove on the last gusty / semi stormy day, I tried to anticipate / guess how much wind it would take. Then I saw and Audi sedan ( A6? ) a bit ahead of me getting a whallop from a gust ... yep, the van reacted and flashed the windsock.

It kind of makes me curious about driving in an actual major storm, and driving a high roof Sprinter? Wooohooo! I used to drive in all kinds of the worst weather in a front wheel drive hatchback or sedan. Wind usually wasn’t bad, but hydroplaning ... geez.

With a tall van? Yes, I’d drive slower and will pay extra attention to the bridges!

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Not so funny. Increasing speed from 70 to 80 increases your vehicle’s kinetic energy by almost 25%. And that’s not counting the rotational energy of the wheels (think gyroscopic stability). My reaction is the same, unless there is water on the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts