Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
161 - 180 of 302 Posts
From my experience, the service advisors know nothing about cars.
I generally agree with you on this.

But, I'd like to make plug for "Greg" at Rocklin (CA) Mercedes northeast of Sacramento. He's their Sprinter/Metris guy and does sorta seem to know what he's talking about. And, he's treated me pretty well on my many, many, (did I say MANY) visits to the service department with my Metris.

Glad to hear there are some good ones. In their defense most MB owners don't know much about cars. That's not a slam it's just the way it is. Many don't mow their own grass and do other chores. My cousin is one of them. He wouldn't know to start to change wiper blades. But he's a doctor and I'm not...lol....so he's got that going for him....which is nice. Poor schmuck.

If someone has their old canister purge/PCV valve hose assembly left over from their repair, I am interested in taking that off your hands. Thank you!
So I looked in the back of the van today and just like christmas there was a MB Box and in it....drum roll was 1200-840 bucks worth of parts according to the MB and other sites selling new ones. Obviously thats not the used part price. I could get the filter etc and clean it up . or just send the assembly as is. This would be better than 840 for part and if you have the tools to do what must be dun to replace it. wallllla

When are going to change all this out? I hope you can update us...let us know how bad it really is.
Lance, I may have been a little vague. Benz removed the assembly and replaced it with a new shiny assembly and left the old dirty assembly in a box in the back of the van with all my construction gear. I figured someone might want a used part as is to clean up and replace the filter/valve etc. so that they could replace it them selves or hope that Bruce Banner was coming through town looking to do someone a solid. :UST DON"T MAKE HIM ANGRY" Now if someone lived in Omaha and wanted me to give this replacement the old college try ,I did not graduate with a degree but learned a lot. Then I might be persuaded to mix this in with my other construction duties ,not at my place.

Just had the CEL come on at 54K. it went off but looks like this job is in my future.
I would love to look at a used bad valve. Can't imagine there is nothing you could spray in it to clean it out!
That was my theory,but I had the extended warranty which I did not know I had bought till I saw the bill for 3500 bucks on my bill of sale. They paid it all but for 100 U$D.I did convince them to give me the entire old assembly. It looks to me like there are three main parts to replace and the rest could be blown out or sprayed with "brake clean". The three parts together are about 150 bucks.

I wanted to follow up on with my solution. I took my Metris to an independent shop and they had trouble with the diagnosis and reached out to MB for help. They quoted $3,500 to fix it so I paid them for the inspection and then took the van to MB dealership. They quoted $2,505 and I complained about the fact that this was a common issue. He gave the number for MBUSA 1-800-367-6372. I pleaded my case and it took forever to get in contact with them. The dealership had the same issue. Eventually they offered me $880 of goodwill. I asked for the old parts but they said that they had to send them to MBUSA because of the goodwill payment.

Very unhappy that we still had to pay over $1,900 after shop supplies and taxes were added back in but we were trying to get the work done before our next road trip. The work took longer than expected so of course the van wasn't ready in time for our trip.

Now we plan to look at an extended warranty.

I'm looking at a used 2016 with about 40k. Is there a way I can tell if the PCV has been replaced already? I'd be bummed to finally get a Metris then have to drop $2-3k in repairs. Carfax does not have much info on this vehicle, though there are 3 open recalls, so possibly not well maintained.

Also, is there any way to buy an ELW on a vehicle with this mileage?

I do not won a Metris yet, but my research has been intrigued by this thread.

I can't help but wonder why the part for this fix is a $1000 alone...

So, I am wondering if the parts are similar other Mercedes parts. If you look at the picture in Post #44, it seems there are two purge valves, the oil separator, hoses, and a new elbow for the air intake. Is the new air intake elbow necessary? It looks like a newer design.

Since the Metris has an engine platform similar to other Mercedes (as mentioned in another post above), I would be inclined to think one could use the purge valves and the oil separator from a more ecumenical part, ie C300 etc.. This is one I found in my google search :

Assuming your hoses are still good and the old air intake elbow is still good (not sure about the design change seen in post #44)... I am wondering if a parts swap would be a favorable path. It seems the Metris version is just different hoses. So, just use the purges valves and the oil separator from the cheaper assembly and use your old hoses.

I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV, I'm just cheap!

That was my theory,but I had the extended warranty which I did not know I had bought till I saw the bill for 3500 bucks on my bill of sale. They paid it all but for 100 U$D.I did convince them to give me the entire old assembly. It looks to me like there are three main parts to replace and the rest could be blown out or sprayed with "brake clean". The three parts together are about 150 bucks.
I have a 2015 CLA250 sport with the same PCV error code on. I have 33,000 miles on it. My mechanic told me the code is due to carbon build up from not driving the car often enough or long enough. Now I'm sure that might be part of the issue but I do change the oil on a regular basis and I use a good quality full synthetic. Since you had the work done already and have your old parts buy looking at the old parts does it look like something you could just clean out really good? Doing the full job (hoses and PCV) myself is not an option for me. I do not have a shop or garage to work in and well it sounds like a very big job as far as removing motor mount and all. I am out of warranty and I live in Southeast Alaska with no dealership near me (closes one is a almost 4 day ferry ride away or 7 days on the barge to Seattle). So I guess my question is do you think its worth while to take the PCV off and clean it up with brake cleaner?

Josiah, it's not as simple as removing the pvc system and cleaning, I fortunately. It's a fairly big repair. I was saying to myself, I wonder if he lives up north...then I got to the Alaska part. The colder the temps the sooner this happens.

Josiah, it's not as simple as removing the pvc system and cleaning, I fortunately. It's a fairly big repair. I was saying to myself, I wonder if he lives up north...then I got to the Alaska part. The colder the temps the sooner this happens.
Yeah I figured as much... I told my wife not to buy a European car living here... haha
To have it fixed here in town I will have to source the parts myself and hope I feel confident in the shop doing the work... Also my labor cost will more then likely be higher then what most people are stating on here. And we were just getting ready to put it up for sale........ Whats funny is the owner at the foreign car repair shop I took her car to saw what I drive (2018 Jeep Wrangler) and he said wow I like your Jeep you should tell your wife to sell her Mercedes and get a Jeep! haha

Our 2016 Metris is at the dealership too for this. It has 57,000 miles and I have changed oil on schedule using Castrol Edge of proper spec and factory filter from dealership. I purchase the filter at dealership to function as my time stamp of oil changes. Van did not drive or run any differently when CEL came on. I scanned and found the p052e code. My wife brought it to the dealership the next morning which is where we originally purchased it and the extended warranty (which will expire at 77,000 or 2023). They mentioned that there was a $150 deductible but after the counterperson was informed that we have an extended warranty, they said we didn't need to pay that deductible. (first bad sign) I don't think they realized the time involved as they basically gave her a shuttle ride to a nearby mall, yet 5 hours later and without updating her, she was upset still waiting. (second bad sign) Quickly they provided her loaner and she returned home. I then read this whole thread an learn of the whole deal involved.(oh boy, 3rd bad sign for me anticipating that all effort, parts and labor involved that they did not anticipate will be shifted to me). And, unrelated, they discovered that I needed about $1200 for all brake pads and rotors. 4mm pad thickness on front, 3mm on rear left necessitates this job. I declined the brake job. I plan to do this with my sons, equally dividing the difference among us all so they can feel the economic joy of self reliance.

Good for you Max! You should be able to do the brake job for $100 or less, and using good Euro aftermarket brake pads. I seriously doubt you need new rotors at 57k miles. If the brake fluid hasn't been changed, I would consider changing it out. This crank case vent system sucks...MB should fire everyone in that design department, if they can't figure it out, source out the design to someone that better understands it.

The results of the 42k mile check engine light are in. Crankcase ventilation valve assembly and bad engine coolant thermostat housing at $3525 dollars. Whaaat? My inspection is in September so I have some time to find the money to fix it on top of my monthly payments. They asked if I would want to trade it in and I asked if they sold Toyotas. Last time replaced a thermostat was in the '90's on a Subaru wagon that had 210k miles. I am not feeling the "Lifestyle" that Mercedes promotes.
Hello - Just found out my 2016 passenger at 52K check engine light...Replace Crank Case Ventilation system ( engine oil too high) $2152 and Oil pump regulation valve $1800..... is this normal?

161 - 180 of 302 Posts