Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post on the forum, but does anyone know if the PCV valve issues has carried forward to the 2020 model year? I am a courier and drive about a 1000 miles a week. Metris would be my first choice because of the size, cargo space and gas mileage, but if there are issues with the PCV it might not be the best choice. Any information or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would stay away from any MB product. If they can't do any better than this I would not buy this van. Several people have had to change it out twice in 75,000 miles. So about $5000. I've not spent 1/2 that on my bmw, and I'm at 375,000 miles. It stays in a heated garage and I refuse to use it on short trips because of this failure point. I shouldn't have to alter my driving habits because of a bad design. Strangely I still love the van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't written in a while because I was tied up arguing with Mercedes Advocacy. They will not cover the 12 hours labor to replace the intake tube emissions line that contains the vent valve that is not a purchased part # available on the Metris, So now one of my vans still cannot pass emissions, I am turning them into the ANN ARBOR Michigan Dept of federal emissions
This is wrong ! I trusted Mercedes to do the right thing and they failed me!
So now I need to know if there is anyone on the forum who has done this motor mount removal and ECM removal to get at the breather box /oil separator for removal to examine the box and valves that you cannot purchase without getting the whole $900 intake line assembly? I think this is a huge crime..and it does seem to be common amongst other models on the mbusa forum..more so on the M274 engine .
Anyone have experience before I attempt this time consuming job? better from on top or bottom to gain site of this part? I talked to a parts guy who said they are cutting in half a pipe coming above the breather box to cut hours off the job for space reasoning? The advocacy does not have any technical background btw, I tracked these people and they are mostly sales type mouth pieces judged on how fast they can rid you! As if the tire wear problem wasn't enough agony and waste of money for 18 months until they came out with new specs, they have t punish me again with this PO524E emissions failure from clogged pipes and vents!
Please chime in if anyone has done this job? thank you
Hey Tony3 I am curious did you get any resolution? There is no fucking way I am letting MB get away with telling me no again

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thats the first I've heard of a M274 dying of low compression/knocking. May have been a parts flaw from the factory.
It was probably that undersized piston wrist pin issue. I was pretty much a hard driver after break-in. Go Speed racer van, Go. I've since mellowed a bit... just a bit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Get a Sienna minivan and take out rear seats. It will be cheaper to maintain and more reliable than Mercedes.
Can a Sienna take a pallet of merch?

Payload Cap. Sienna = 1,245 to 1,565 lbs | Metris = 1,764 to 2,392 lbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
MB replaced the crankcase purge valve there was a 2 year unlimited warranty on the part and now i'm selling.
For Sale 2016 Metris cargo $12,499 73,00mi Silver VIN#WD3PG2EA7G3106892
Call Ben 248.431.7661

·
Registered
181 Posts
Meh, I’ve cleared the code twice. Takes about 6 mos to come back. I’m thinking this is more of a momentary fault, as opposed to an actual broken part. Van runs fine in between.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Meh, I’ve cleared the code twice. Takes about 6 mos to come back. I’m thinking this is more of a momentary fault, as opposed to an actual broken part. Van runs fine in between.
yep, similar to the check engine that occurs sometimes when the van stalls 30 seconds after restarting a hot engine on a hot day. The fuel pump controller gets confused as vaporized gas through it and faults.

Or, going over rough surface and the electric steering controller gets confused and throws a fault.

These vehicles have too much twitchy software written to run in a lab but not the real world.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So....now getting the code about every other drive cycle. It has been about 5k miles since it started, 28k miles and now has about 33k miles on it.

spoke with the service manager at MB today. Next week it’ll go up and get “officially diagnosed” and he will then attempt to see what good will he can achieve.

as he explained it, if it was a regular MB he could and likely would approve it, however since it’s considered a sprinter, the regional rep will have to ok it or not.

we shall see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been looking at used metris passenger ,it ticks all the right boxes, size, payload, tow capacity .
I had even figured out the a/b service cost to be in the “ I can live with that “ range.
And was to the point of a serious search for a used 2016-17 unit with 70k and under miles, until I found this purge valve problem.
A $2500 fix that can/ might/ will occur and would be ongoing, just blows this van out of any serious contender for a DD/Hauler, unless there is a better more economical fix to this.
I read GB’s post on cost so far and 6k is really high for any kind of vehicle, but most of his was minor pains no catastrophic failures, except the purge valve.
I really like the specs on this van, I’m running a 1990 E250 Clubwagon 7.3 idi ( diesel) 163k miles and a 2010 F150 5.4 lariat 193k Miles, owned the van 4 years , ( 3rd owner and put 63k on it) the f150 I’ve had since 2011 and 170k+ are my miles. I’m a firm believer in maintaining my trucks and getting high miles . That being said, never owned a MB , I understand maintenance is high, but a $2500 “wear part “ repair , I can’t fathom.
Anyway one of the gurus on here can show me how this van can be made to work or make sense ?
As I stated, it does everything I need, obviously very well, except for this purge valve thing being the only major failing I can see or find
Thanks .

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
It is my contention that the problem with them is intermittent and can be generally ignored except for resetting the CEL when it occurs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Green, that's not correct. The purge valve problem might be intermittent for a short period and then it's fails..clearing code does not fix this problem. It's a horrible design. I love this van, but Mercedes has some bonehead designs with this thing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Emissions junk is the bane of many cars these days as manufacturers have to comply with extremely strict emissions output + fuel economy all while producing enough power to be competitive. So far so good on my Metris but I've had to replace a couple nox sensors on my GLK diesel. Overall not a big deal....90k miles and nothing else has failed on the car whatsoever outside of normal wear items (brakes, tie rod end, etc)....drives perfect.

Reactions: Piddlin

·
Registered
509 Posts
How did they get away with excluding it from the emission performance and control warranties? Somebody asleep at MB and/or EPA, like the B.S. that my van was held up because MB neglected to EPA certify the 135.

·
Registered
194 Posts
How did they get away with excluding it from the emission performance and control warranties? Somebody asleep at MB and/or EPA, like the B.S. that my van was held up because MB neglected to EPA certify the 135.
US emmision waranty law.

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer.

The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship for 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever first occurs), and the specified major emissions control components mentioned above for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs).

The PCV apparatus would be covered only for 2 years/24,000 miles. AFAIK

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
My PCV required replacement at 94503. As I’ve mentioned MB covered 3/4 of the parts cost as a courtesy; no warranty except the ELW was in effect at that mileage, which does not cover emissions parts. I do not know if ELW coverage influenced the courtesy, or simply my long standing loyalty to the brand and the dealership that Worked on my behalf to get that courtesy.

The problem with the design, @pawo007, isn’t basic emissions law. A PCV valve is a very simple and common part (and failure point for that matter); it can be replaced in many cars by a shade tree mechanic for double digit prices. The issue that gets people heated on this instance is that the PCV is only replaced as an integral part of an expensive component that costs ~$1800.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My PCV required replacement at 94503. As I’ve mentioned MB covered 3/4 of the parts cost as a courtesy; no warranty except the ELW was in effect at that mileage, which does not cover emissions parts. I do not know if ELW coverage influenced the courtesy, or simply my long standing loyalty to the brand and the dealership that Worked on my behalf to get that courtesy.

The problem with the design, @pawo007, isn’t basic emissions law. A PCV valve is a very simple and common part (and failure point for that matter); it can be replaced in many cars by a shade tree mechanic for double digit prices. The issue that gets people heated on this instance is that the PCV is only replaced as an integral part of an expensive component that costs ~$1800.
Thank you for the good information, there just has to be a more economical solution.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts